Advanced Driving Tuition

Carlos

Advanced Driving Tuition

Post by Carlos »

I joined the IAM last year to qualify for Park Lanes forces/nhs etc discount which was considerable given the market at the time. I've since had a few hours of instruction with a view to sitting the test in January and hopefully encourage my kids to have a bit of additional training as they know it all and aint going to take any advice from me :lol:

I've really enjoyed it and its no surprise how much of the roadcraft stuff you do automatically particularly as an ex-biker trying to stay alive. I didn't realise i still stare down vehicles at junctions looking for eye contact like you would do on a bike :D

I can see Tim on Twitter still involved with Rospa, anyone else had a go ?
mik

Re: Advanced Driving Tuition

Post by mik »

Yeah I have done Rospa and the AA Drivetech shizzle, I enjoyed both of them - some stuff it’s good to see you already do, but some of the other stuff was new and useful. Doing commentary is hard!

All instructors were fine with me bulk-shifting gears where appropriate, and doing rotational steering (although they did highlight some claimed advantages of milking the cows we disagreed respectfully.
tim

Post by tim »

Yeah I'm Chair and a Senior Tutor for our local RoSPA group. Bikes only though. The car lot are "different". I did my 3 yearly Advanced Tutor re-test yesterday as it happens (got a Gold).
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

tim wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:03 pm The car lot are "different".
Go on...
Congrats on the retest 8-) It must be nice to know your standards haven't slipped.
I don't know why I've never got round to having any advanced tuition :?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I did IAM years ago and really enjoyed it

Seeing this has reminded me about RoSPA

Will have to look into that again
mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:45 pm
Cos it’s not mandatory and it’s expensive. And they have to hammer the speed limit thing, when some speed limits are logical and appropriate, whereas others….. just aren’t.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I did a morning's course organised through Knockhill years ago after I spun the Z3 in to a central reservation. I really enjoyed it.... should really do something again now you mention it.

I was wondering about something like this and a skid pan session for the boy in the New Year as I found the skid training to be invaluable.
Cheers,

Mike.
tim

Post by tim »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:15 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:45 pm
Cos it’s not mandatory and it’s expensive.
£70 ish for the test and a £15 expenses bung to your Tutor with each session doesn't seem too bad. At least, this is what it costs in our group for motorcycles. Then £40/year to keep your RoSPA membership, which includes the re-test fee every 3 years.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I got bought advanced training years back but never got round to actually taking it. My Mum did it in her 60s and found it really valuable, but she rarely drove further than 12 miles in her life and that was to and from work so her experience on different roads etc was very limited.

I should probably do it again, but I find I drive well within the limits of the cars and tyres.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:02 am I should probably do it again, but I find I drive well within the limits of the cars and tyres.
It's emphatically not car-limits control type training though. I'm sure @tim can far more concisely explain, but its focussed around maximising your use of all available information sources to identify potential risks in various scenarios, and to use speed/spacing/positioning/(and avoidance of over-signalling) in order to minimise those risks. How many people do you know who have been involved in an accident that was "unavoidable"? A significant number of those are entirely avoidable.

Instructors will use commentary during a demo drive to explain what they are looking at and their thought process/reactions, and they ask you to do the same (which is tricky at times, but it does increase your focus). I find myself doing it every couple of weeks on a solo drive (or with wife/sprogs in the car, but they don't appreciate it so much ;) ) as a way of reminding myself of some of the training.
tim

Post by tim »

Yeah it has almost nothing to do with vehicle control and everything to do with hoovering up as much information as possible as far into the distance as possible so you're in the right place on the road in the right gear at the right speed to make smooth and safe progress.

For motorcyclists especially the gains are huge, because you're that much more exposed.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I remember when I started to do the commentary during IAM training, my driving went to complete shite

Patting head and rubbing belly style

But it's a great skill to learn, and really forces you to become and remain observant

While I don't drive to these standard all the time, I have found since doing the IAM course that when things get more risky (poor weather, sudden build of traffic, or just that spidey-sense starting to tingle) I can "elevate" my awareness and general driving standard

On a related note, my nephew (just turned 16) is doing his first driving lesson at the weekend - it was one of those "youth driving" things that I got him last Christmas. It's obviously on a private/closed road, but he's super excited about it. I'm going along to watch - hope he enjoys it.

He's flown all sorts of "proper" flight simulators (as in the ones on hydraulic rams etc that pilots use), and he's done all sorts of unassisted take-offs and landings, so I hope he's got an innate "feel" for things like this...
mik

Post by mik »

tim wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:42 am
mik wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:36 am I'm sure @tim can far more concisely explain
<explains more concisely>
See! :geek:
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Cheers, I know I tend to be aware of what is around me and potential vehicles pulling out ahead, but I may well see if I can sign up again or pay the extra over whatever was paid 15 years ago, may still have the course bumf in the attic.

Cheers
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Ignorance is bliss. I have the baby Jesus protecting me.
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

Buy a copy of Roadcraft, it's what all the training is based upon, whether it's RoSPA or IAM.

mik

Post by mik »

Will check my emails and see if I can find any names @Gavin - have had a couple of different guys. Both v good, but the ex-traffic Cop (and therefore Class1 driver) was my favourite. My training was done the VXR8 and then the Evora, so instructors were always keen to do their demo drive :D .
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:35 am Will check my emails and see if I can find any names @Gavin - have had a couple of different guys. Both v good, but the ex-traffic Cop (and therefore Class1 driver) was my favourite. My training was done the VXR8 and then the Evora, so instructors were always keen to do their demo drive :D .
The guys up at Knockhill were also ex-traffic cops. Really enjoyed the lessons, must google to see what's available now.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:35 am Will check my emails and see if I can find any names @Gavin - have had a couple of different guys. Both v good, but the ex-traffic Cop (and therefore Class1 driver) was my favourite. My training was done the VXR8 and then the Evora, so instructors were always keen to do their demo drive :D .
Thank you, that would be grand, probably wait until Spring though.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Depending on where you're based, Reg Local seems to be a good shout.

He has a thread on boatshoes: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1593359

https://reglocal.com/