Manuel Supra - short drive

mik

Manuel Supra - short drive

Post by mik »

The recently announced Manuel Supra triggered the possible future Evora replacement radar the other month. Last week I called our local Toyota stealership to see if they had a Supra I could take a look at, and didn’t they just have a manuel in stock that I could look at AND drive. So – rude not to.

The irony of turning up to see a Toyota with BMW mechanicals (and more) in a Lotus with Toyota mechanicals wasn’t lost on me. I find the styling quite funky, although it’s not pretty. Weirdly I find that kind of appealing. 19”s looked a smidge small on it though. @Marv would be happy. Interior is BMW and I liked it. No space behind the rear seats, but you do have direct access to the boot area, which is a decent size. Not sure I’d be able to squeeze a German Shepherd in for an emergency vet run like I can in the Evora, but that’s a pretty niche “need”.

Test drive was solo, but only around 25mins and in addition to being very wet, it was pretty urban. Driving position felt a bit weird stepping out of the Lotus – which has heavily left-offset pedals due to the intrusion from the front wheel/double wishbone suspension. Supra has pedals heavily offset to the right due to the wide transmission tunnel. Felt a bit uncomfortable, but I am sure I would adapt. Shift action was nice, but I was unexpectedly annoyed at the height of the central console/arm-rest section which forced an unnatural “elbow high” movement, with my elbow tending to drop into the cup-holder. Raising the seat alleviated this a little, but not completely, and then I was sat too high. Bonnet was loooong, and fully in-view, and the windscreen felt fairly shallow, giving a bit of a "letterbox" sensation..

Unfortunately the weather was v wet, and the OEM tyre is the Michelin Pilot Supersport. Which is OK in the wet, but not awesome. Engine sounded pretty good– bassy. Auto throttle blip on downchanges worked well, but… I want to do that myself. Fat mid-range shove with almost no lag was pretty impressive, but I didn’t get a chance to fully extend it to the redline even once. See below.

I know I am spoilt a little by the Evora’s rear weight bias – v similar to a 911. Traction is therefore excellent. I didn’t expect the Supra to match it, but I was surprised at the size of the gap in capability. I had it in “Sport “which allows some slip, but it spun the 275 rears very easily. I went back to the same bit of road in the Evora before I headed home, and the contrast was significant.

So I left expressing a desire to try it for a bit longer in the dry – will see if they offer me an extended test drive. I didn’t get a sense of the power available, or the steering feel, but whilst I’d be happy to give it another try, I suspect the awkward gearshift arm position (no point having a manuel if it isn’t a tactile pleasure), and the relative lack of traction are likely to be deal breakers.

Library interior image which shows what I mean wrt shift.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Manuel Supra - short drive

Post by Rich B »

I'm torn on the supra, I quite like them, but if you want a cool RWD coupe with a BMW engine, might as well have an M2; faster, better handling, way more practical, better looking, etc...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I like the look of them and the road tests suggest they are a great drive and more sporty than the M40i equivalent.

It's a car I want to like.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I really like the look of them, seen a few in the flesh and they look great to me, don't see many around which adds to the appeal too. Don't know if I'd take one over your Evora though @mik.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I love the looks but I want them not to be a BMW.

Armrest clearly designed for an auto-only car. Space behind rear seats - I thought they were 2-seaters so behind the front seats presumably.

Mik, I know it’s probably way over the price of a Supra but how about a Porsche 991/992?
mik

Post by mik »

@Jobbo A manuel 991 could work, but I’d prefer to keep the Evora or go for an Emira over that. 992 look huge to me - even though they aren’t that dissimilar to 991 (?) - it’s a real detractor for me.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Stop kidding yourself and order an Emira.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:42 pm Stop kidding yourself and order an Emira.
Yeah that’s a radar item too. Although I’m far more likely to get a used one around. 2yrs old than buy one new. Do like though.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:42 pm I'm torn on the supra, I quite like them, but if you want a cool RWD coupe with a BMW engine, might as well have an M2; faster, better handling, way more practical, better looking, etc...
Rich is correct. An M2 is a much more appealing prospect as nice as the supra is.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:17 pm The recently announced Manuel Supra triggered the possible future Evora replacement radar the other month.
Didn't bother reading after that TBH.

No Mik.

Just ..... No.
mik

Post by mik »

Saw this today.... https://www.carthrottle.com/news/toyota ... and-manual

(Could be quite interesting, if they can sort out the traction, and stoopid centre console elbow clash).
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

As much as I'm a (old school, perhaps) BMW fan, I never liked these in the first place and I think it's aged even worse.

Don't.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I continue to like these when I see them, this one sounds alright to me. :)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

They won’t have changed the centre armrest thing.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I imagine a M4 would spank its bottom tbh.. probably a lot cheaper as well. Besides, as a daily an auto makes more sense!.. :twisted:
Cheers,

Ian
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

I was pretty underwhelmed with the auto one I drove, and the open access to the boot really put me off. Last thing I want when braking hard is the contents of the boot coming sliding through.

I had also just been driving this mind - good friend of mine. A smidge under 800bhp at the time:

mik

Post by mik »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:40 am
I had also just been driving this mind - good friend of mine
I like you mate Ash.

I like Ash’s car. And to own a Supra at 18 is bananas :o

But then I saw his steering wheel hand position (around 1m05), and realised we can never be friends. :cry:
Last edited by mik on Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

At least it’s not fast and furious top of wheel with locked out elbow and angry grimace
mik

Post by mik »

It's OK - I have re-watched the video on a large screen instead of my telling-bone, and my Hands On Steering Wheel OCD (HOSWOCD) has now verified that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with his wheel hand position. (On the little screen it looked like his first finger and thumb were wrapped around the spoke of the wheel - the video has either been sneakily edited in the last few minutes, or it was an OPTICAL ILLUSION :shock: ).
mik

Post by mik »

ALTHOUGH- around 1m10 he can be seen resting his left hand on the centre console, changing gear, and then returning his left hand to the centre console. This is INCORRECT. I shall however issue a pardon on this occaision, as I have already made A FOOL of myself. :oops: