Weight training

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Weight training

Post by Gavster »

I started lifting 6 months ago, to build muscle and protect my body/joints. I can do fewer press-ups than now, than back in May :(

Luckily I can now move certain shapes of weights in a selection of very specific ranges of movements 🏆 whilst having considerably reduced aerobic fitness 🥇

CrossFit is calling…
mik

Re: Weight training

Post by mik »

Lifter.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Guilty 🙁
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm supposed to do weight training to build muscle round my shoulder blade, which I dislocated and trashed all the tissue around falling out of a tree about 20 years ago. Can never be bothered though so I look forward to my shoulder just falling apart one day when I try and pick up something heavy :lol:
An absolute unit
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:28 pmLifter.
[LIFTED]

That takes me back....
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Eau Rouge etc
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Need more roids.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:27 pm Need more roids.
Hemorrhoids? :? That’s weird dude.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Currently giving serious consideration to getting a cheap(ish) rowing machine as an alternative to, say, running or something as I need to lose some fucking weight.

I mean, it's sitting down, how hard can it be?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well if you don't pass out, throw up or shit yourself you're not working out hard enough. Even on a rowing machine.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:42 pm Currently giving serious consideration to getting a cheap(ish) rowing machine as an alternative to, say, running or something as I need to lose some fucking weight.

Spend the cash on some half decent trainers, stick some earphones in and do some walking. Build up to a bit of jogging inbetween when you can.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavster wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:23 pm I started lifting 6 months ago, to build muscle and protect my body/joints. I can do fewer press-ups than now, than back in May :(

Luckily I can now move certain shapes of weights in a selection of very specific ranges of movements 🏆 whilst having considerably reduced aerobic fitness 🥇

CrossFit is calling…
You're already too old to build muscle then. Give up now and accept you've started on the long decline into the ground :D
John

Post by John »

Using a rowing machine is boring IMO, get a bike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

240PP wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:34 pm
Beany wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:42 pm Currently giving serious consideration to getting a cheap(ish) rowing machine as an alternative to, say, running or something as I need to lose some fucking weight.

Spend the cash on some half decent trainers, stick some earphones in and do some walking. Build up to a bit of jogging inbetween when you can.
Nah, I live on a big unavoidable hill and even just walking down and up the hill to the shops is enough to seriously put me off - it's very easy to find excuses not to do it. It's cold, it's dark out, I don't have time so I'd best take the car, etc. Standard evasion tactics that the clinically depressed will be familiar with :lol:

The idea is start on something gentle that I can't baulk at - I mean, you're sitting down in a warm room with youtube to watch, and you can start as gently as you like with rowing machines, it seems. Do some rowing while watching one of Simon Whistlers many, many fact based channels vids, most of which are 20-40 mins - enough to get into fat burning territory.

That'll eventually move into more resistance which will build up stamina/burn more fat.

Once I have stamina, I can start walking down and up that bloody massive hill I live on, to the shops. Burn more fat as that's a 30 min walk back up, all uphill, some parts really rather steep.

Once I do that and start at least stabilising my weight/fat (as I know I will - I've done this before when I had no choice and had no car) I can look at making my diet a bit more sensible (even something as simple as having rice and chicken for dinner every second day, rather than 'whatever I fancy' every day) and that should help the weight come off a bit faster.

I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just prevent myself from having to buy jeans bigger than 44", as that's pretty much my 'right, you've fucked it, sort it out' waist size, and I'm rapidly approaching it at the moment.... :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

44" is impressive. If you were a tree you'd make some decent 2x4s

Sorry I'm just calculating something for milling and got curious :oops:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:23 pm I started lifting 6 months ago, to build muscle and protect my body/joints. I can do fewer press-ups than now, than back in May :(

CrossFit is calling…
Stop doing weights wrong.

Deadlift.
Power clean.
Front squats or back squats.

Beany, 44” trousers are full on fatty boom boom, I’m 136 kg as of yesterday and only 40” and I identify as a non binary big fatty fatso.

Cheap rowing machines suck, Concept 2 or nothing, the cheap ones have a horrid movement and you won’t enjoy it.

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beat Sabre VR. That is a workout.

Annoyingly I'm also having to find a new exercise thing to do. After 5 years of karate I've been too frustrated trying to find a decent club post move to Aus.

There's a gym 5min walk from my house but not quite sure what I want from it.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

CrossFit is calling…
Whats your programme?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:10 pm Once I do that and start at least stabilising my weight/fat (as I know I will - I've done this before when I had no choice and had no car) I can look at making my diet a bit more sensible (even something as simple as having rice and chicken for dinner every second day, rather than 'whatever I fancy' every day) and that should help the weight come off a bit faster.
Losing weight is more to do with diet than exercise so sort that first. If you stop eating shite now it’ll drop off you and you’ll have less to lug around, then you can start exercising and get in a bit of a routine.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:53 pm

CrossFit is calling…
You're already too old to build muscle then. Give up now and accept you've started on the long decline into the ground :D
Swole age pensioners are healthier, even though it’s a battle for the gains 💪