Twitter

Wibblewobblebeepgaggawacka

1. Its time to leave teh Twitter
No votes
2. I’ll stick it out and see what changes
38%
3. It’s blusterpish as usual. It’s not going to change noticeably.
10%
4. I don’t care, I don’t use Twitter.
21%
5. I don’t care.
26%
6. I just like to wash my hair, and go.
No votes
7. I’ve seen a horse fly
No votes
8. I’ve seen a dragon fly
No votes
9. I’ve seen an elephant fly
No votes
10. My old man’s a dustman
5%

Total votes: 39

drcarlos

Re: Twitter

Post by drcarlos »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:33 am Twitter already had that though, he's spat the dummy because people are making fun of him.
So they used a rule they already had then? What's the problem, oh yes it's being used equally for both sides now :roll:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:29 am
Gavster wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:15 am Only a few hours ago, everyone on Twitter was wetting their pants about the idea that people would be able to impresonate someone else, simply by paying $8 a month. Now Musk has brought in strict rules around impersonating others and you're all laughing at him? This is exactly what everyone wanted - assured user identities for blue ticks!
You're kinda right, but I think people are just :roll: -ing at the absurdity of his "plans" splattering out real-time.

Musky: "You will soon need to pay $20 per month for a verified account"
Stevieking: "Fuckoff"
Musky: "no I meant $8"
Human: "People will be able to pay to pretend to be someone else"
Musky: "no. I...." minions, what do we do here? We can shoot anyone who tries this yeah? Mercuh! We can't shoot them? OK "permanent ban for anyone who creates a parody account or changes their name"
Human: "what if I open an account as Mr Mik McSlabbercabbege and realise I mis-spelled my real surname McSlabbercabbage
Musky: minions, we can shoot people like this yeah? Mercuh!.... we can't shoot them either? FFS I have a brain the size of a planet and I can't...ok then. "Temporary ban!"
Human: "How long for?"
Musky: "6 months!"
Human "6 months?"
Musky: "I meant, erm.... one month?"

etc etc
That's exactly how you get things done, try something without caring whether it's right or wrong and see how it lands. Get feedback, change it, try again. The faster you do that, the quicker you get things done and find a successful outcome. It's quite simple. Admittedly he is treating a ~$40bn company in the same way that many of us would treat a startup in our garden shed, however, the principle is the same. Any entrepreneur like Musk gives zero fucks about being wrong, as long as there's feedback that guides towards a workable solution.

I think it's quite fascinating watching him iron out the problems on the platform transparently, in real time, rather than the previous board who were so paralysed by consensus that they became ineffective and struggled to make any significant changes to benefit the platform.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The Musk admirers have joined the chat I see.

The old rule is a warning for impersonation, then a temp ban if you ignore it. The humour here is that Musk has gone nuclear because people are making fun of him after making a big deal about "comedy coming back to twitter".

I just remembered when someone I followed lost their blue check for refusing to delete this cracker though.

An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

There's an obvious contradiction though. You can't have the freedom to anonymously imitate someone else AND have a platform which has well-verfied identities, those two objectives contradict each other. Also, the idea of 'comedy coming back to Twitter' surely means that people will have freedom to say what they want - as long as they take ownership for those words by posting under their real, verified name.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:39 am That's exactly how you get things done, try something without caring whether it's right or wrong and see how it lands. Get feedback, change it, try again. The faster you do that, the quicker you get things done and find a successful outcome.
That’s what the Tories have been doing since Boris - leak a policy, see what the popular feedback is and then proceed or not based on that. It didn’t work for them.

It may be how Facebook, Google etc do it behind the scenes; implement a change without making a song and dance about it, see how it plays out and revert or change to something else if unsuccessful.

Musk is just flailing visibly though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You weren't free to impersonate someone though, that's what I'm saying. There was already policy in place to deal with that which worked fine.

Elon running around trying to cosy up to the worst cunts on twitter over free speech, then permanently banning Kathy Griffin for changing her username is hypocritical at best. She didn't change her handle, a cursory glance would've shown it's not a scam account trying to pretend it's him.
An absolute unit
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:49 am
Gavster wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:39 am That's exactly how you get things done, try something without caring whether it's right or wrong and see how it lands. Get feedback, change it, try again. The faster you do that, the quicker you get things done and find a successful outcome.
That’s what the Tories have been doing since Boris - leak a policy, see what the popular feedback is and then proceed or not based on that. It didn’t work for them.

It may be how Facebook, Google etc do it behind the scenes; implement a change without making a song and dance about it, see how it plays out and revert or change to something else if unsuccessful.

Look up agile code dev, it's standard practice, fail fast and redevelop is one of DevOps guiding principles. I bloody hate it as they keep trying to force this on us in infrastructure and it just doesn't work for most projects.
tim

Post by tim »

Gavster wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:39 am That's exactly how you get things done, try something without caring whether it's right or wrong and see how it lands. Get feedback, change it, try again. The faster you do that, the quicker you get things done and find a successful outcome. It's quite simple. Admittedly he is treating a ~$40bn company in the same way that many of us would treat a startup in our garden shed, however, the principle is the same. Any entrepreneur like Musk gives zero fucks about being wrong, as long as there's feedback that guides towards a workable solution.

I think it's quite fascinating watching him iron out the problems on the platform transparently, in real time, rather than the previous board who were so paralysed by consensus that they became ineffective and struggled to make any significant changes to benefit the platform.
This.
tim

Post by tim »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:53 am She didn't change her handle, a cursory glance would've shown it's not a scam account trying to pretend it's him.
People don't though. I've seen other prominent positions RT the parody Musks as fact.

Anyway I'm just enjoying the show. Although I did report a particularly unpleasant "British Freedoms" account yesterday just to see what would happen, it they took it down a few hours later.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

tim wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:10 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:53 am She didn't change her handle, a cursory glance would've shown it's not a scam account trying to pretend it's him.
People don't though. I've seen other prominent positions RT the parody Musks as fact.
And Musk himself has posted absolute dogshit as fact, you can't legislate against idiocy.

I'm talking about within the moderation process, it should be more than Elon going "they're named like my name, end them".
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:54 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:49 am

Look up agile code dev, it's standard practice, fail fast and redevelop is one of DevOps guiding principles. I bloody hate it as they keep trying to force this on us in infrastructure and it just doesn't work for most projects.
Interesting - the infinite monkeys principle?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:54 am I bloody hate it as they keep trying to force this on us in infrastructure and it just doesn't work for most projects.
But I'm sure your senior managers have told you that "Agile has more RAM" :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
tim

Post by tim »

Enjoy it while you can... :)

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

tim wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:19 am Enjoy it while you can... :)

Will they delete him? Seems like an obvious parody but I guess it breaks the rules as it's not marked as one, but it's not using his real name or handle. Interesting one for the fail fast policies to compute!

Still bloody funny mind.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

They need a little symbol to show the verified users, I expect that there's loads of genuine Matt Hancocks in this country.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Rich B wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:44 pm They need a little symbol to show the verified users, I expect that there's loads of genuine Matt Hancocks in this country.
There's only one Hatt Mancock though :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:00 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:44 pm They need a little symbol to show the verified users, I expect that there's loads of genuine Matt Hancocks in this country.
There's only one Hatt Mancock though :lol:
he should get a little blue tick then!
tim

Post by tim »

$8
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

tim wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:49 pm$8
exactly - he can legitimately get one now!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

How long before someone changes their name, legally by Deed Poll to Elongated Musk - Known as Elon and takes him to task for not allowing the account... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…