Gout

V8Granite

Gout

Post by V8Granite »

It’s a mother, I had it in my right foot last month, foot swelled up and went red around my pad and big toe. I just wore extra socks and tied my work boot really tight till it kind of numbed up.

Then I had it in my left foot, pretty much exactly the same, hurt like a bastard again but as I wasn’t at work it was more annoying as I was in and out of shoes all day doing stuff.

Both seemingly not affected by red meat and dairy etc, I drink a lot of milk and juice but drinking lots of water helped. Happy I could have steak etc.

Red wine though, mother trucker my foot had a bloody heartbeat and woke me up in the night as I was sure a small animal was trying to break out from within 😂.

Old man diseases can do one, I’m still young!!!!

Dave!
mik

Re: Gout

Post by mik »

A few years back I thought I had broken my big toe - but couldn’t for the life of me think how or when. Turned out to be gout. I previously had absolutely no idea how cripplingly painful it is! :shock:

Thankfully it calmed down, twinged a couple of times over the following few months, but has never returned. It’s horrible. Wish you luck.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'm amazed that you managed to cope by wearing extra socks and tying your boot tight. Impressive though you won't be doing your joints any good long term by just tolerating it. If it comes back, get a blood test, get allopurinol prescribed and control it through medicine.

With the benefit of hindsight I reckon it was dehydration that triggered my gout in my mid-30s. Took a while to accept that's what it was and that I'd have to take a tablet every day to control it; once I did accept that, I've not had to worry about it.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I broke my big toe about 20 years ago so was wondering if it was why it affected that toe first.

Dehydration is definitely a factor, if it’s sweltering I drink loads, if it’s not too hot I’m crap at remembering to drink.

I’m hoping it was my awful diet so have increased my water intake a lot and will then be hopelessly optimistic and see how it goes 😂

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I don't think it's to do with breaking your toe in the past - gout just seems to start there for most people. Probably because it's the furthest/lowest joint so that's where the uric acid crystals collect.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:32 pm It’s a mother, I had it in my right foot last month, foot swelled up and went red around my pad and big toe. I just wore extra socks and tied my work boot really tight till it kind of numbed up.

Then I had it in my left foot, pretty much exactly the same, hurt like a bastard again but as I wasn’t at work it was more annoying as I was in and out of shoes all day doing stuff.

Both seemingly not affected by red meat and dairy etc, I drink a lot of milk and juice but drinking lots of water helped. Happy I could have steak etc.

Red wine though, mother trucker my foot had a bloody heartbeat and woke me up in the night as I was sure a small animal was trying to break out from within 😂.

Dave!
We have drugs for this.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

One of those things if you never have had it hard to imagine how painful it can be :lol:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I had a client who had it in his knee and ended up in hospital to be sedated. His wife said he was asking them to amputate his leg :shock:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gout, gout, let it all out
It's something I can do without
Come on; I'm not walking, are you? Come on.

It isn't pleasant for sure, I'd be screaming the same if I got it in a knee.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Yeah a big knee pain like that would not be fun, plus I bet it’s really hard to isolate that pain aswell in any position!!

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:41 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:32 pm It’s a mother, I had it in my right foot last month, foot swelled up and went red around my pad and big toe. I just wore extra socks and tied my work boot really tight till it kind of numbed up.

Dave!
We have drugs for this.
I’m very anti drugs if I can change diet or something else.

In 6 months I’ll probably be asking for all the drugs if it keeps happening 😂

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:19 pm Gout, gout, let it all out
:D Somewhat Iionically that wasn’t a track on The Hurting.
John

Post by John »

Another occasional sufferer here in my big toe on my right foot. My last attack came on in the Albert Hall of all places, by the interval I'd had to take my shoe off :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:19 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:19 pm Gout, gout, let it all out
:D Somewhat Iionically that wasn’t a track on The Hurting.
If sanity had prevailed it would have been, but, you know, mad world.

?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm hoping since I don't touch meat, dairy or alcohol anymore that I'll avoid this symptom of indulgence ;)

It sounds rubbish.
An absolute unit
John

Post by John »

It's strange as I eat red meat probably a couple of times a year, go out with friends for a drink once a month at the most but I do eat/drink dairy products although not huge amounts. I think mine is brought on by not drinking enough fluids as I don't drink tea or coffee so don't have that drink at every oppurtunity like the kettle addicts seem to :D
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Meat with every dinner, red meat at least 50% of that, I drink when I’m away but only with Sunday roast etc during my off period. At least 7 pints of milk a week and cheese most days.

Imagine Henry the 8th but far less power and tights.

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:04 pm I don't think it's to do with breaking your toe in the past - gout just seems to start there for most people. Probably because it's the furthest/lowest joint so that's where the uric acid crystals collect.
Exactly this. My late father suffered with it notably although the drugs helped to manage it. I’ve been getting it on and off in recent years too and those first few tingles in the big toe joint is a sign of what is to come.