Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by IanF »

May as well start this thread.. :D

GE after full term or earlier?

Sunak was quite reasonable in his planning and outlook so will hopefully be a stabilising force. Although it is concerning that we now prioritise the economy over democracy.
Cheers,

Ian
DeskJockey

Re: Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm struggling to see how they can't call a GE soon. They've got no moral or ethical mandate to govern, and with yet another unelected PM they haven't got the backing of the voters either, so any calls to "what the people want" won't wash well.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I think I'd much rather have the economy sorted out right now. Labour can GTF with trying to fix the economy after all the fucking about with a GE. It'll be fucked!

The political situation at the minute is awful. If there was a GE I haven't got a clue what I'd do. There is a real lack of anyone who is electable.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Sunak is bent liked the others so I can't see it panning out any better. Good if you are in anyway associated with an outsourced it partner :)

Maybe I should buy some shares.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

McSwede wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:09 am The political situation at the minute is awful. If there was a GE I haven't got a clue what I'd do. There is a real lack of anyone who is electable.
So much of this. Lord Buckethead for PM
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

For a laugh, I predict:

1. Sunak will stay PM until the next GE through the giant shit storm that's coming our way.
2. Labour will win the GE hands down probably around the time we start seeing the green shoots of recovery.
3. Sunak will get ousted upon the loss.
4. BoJo will regain Cons leadership
5. It won't matter as Labour will do two terms and the game will have moved on
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

How long until the:

"I won't take advice from a Millionaire on how to save money - why doesn't he give up his fortune to help with the Energy Crisis?? Some Leader he is."

... social media posts start flying about ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

At least Rishi isn't cuckoo crazy like Johnson, but there is no mandate for him. However, a long recess for an election right now wouldn't be ideal given the state Johnson and Truss have left things in and action that needs to be taken in Parliament. Spend a year starting to put things right then call an election, but don't wait until the end of the term.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sounds about right Simon...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That depends on having someone in charge with a bit of backbone.

I get the feeling that Sunak is essentially a yes man to the same think tanks and foundations that have propped up the tories for the last 15 years so I can't see how anything would change.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:21 am At least Rishi isn't cuckoo crazy like Johnson, but there is no mandate for him.
There is a mandate for the Conservative Party, and if they pick Rishi unopposed then I think constitutionally he'll assume the role with the least risk to the country's stability. Even a general election and a solid Labour majority would not immediately fix our woes. Can't believe I sound like I'm supporting him; I don't, but I can't object on constitutional grounds.

Agree that he'll not go for an early general election; what's the point? He must be taking this on with the expectation and intention of trying to improve the Tories' reputation and polling in the two years before the next GE has to take place.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Simon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:21 am At least Rishi isn't cuckoo crazy like Johnson, but there is no mandate for him. However, a long recess for an election right now wouldn't be ideal given the state Johnson and Truss have left things in and action that needs to be taken in Parliament. Spend a year starting to put things right then call an election, but don't wait until the end of the term.
Don't know what's worse cuckoo crazy or no f'in idea about how the 95% have to live and function in the real world.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:33 am Don't know what's worse cuckoo crazy or no f'in idea about how the 95% have to live and function in the real world.
Does that matter ? - There hasn't been a PM of this country ever that has a clue how at least 80 to 85% I'd say of the population live...
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:19 am
drcarlos wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:33 am Don't know what's worse cuckoo crazy or no f'in idea about how the 95% have to live and function in the real world.
Does that matter ? - There hasn't been a PM of this country ever that has a clue how at least 80 to 85% I'd say of the population live...
I’d put that number much higher. They don’t know how the 99.9% of this country that aren’t politicians live
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:32 am
Simon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:21 am At least Rishi isn't cuckoo crazy like Johnson, but there is no mandate for him.
There is a mandate for the Conservative Party, and if they pick Rishi unopposed then I think constitutionally he'll assume the role with the least risk to the country's stability. Even a general election and a solid Labour majority would not immediately fix our woes. Can't believe I sound like I'm supporting him; I don't, but I can't object on constitutional grounds.

Agree that he'll not go for an early general election; what's the point? He must be taking this on with the expectation and intention of trying to improve the Tories' reputation and polling in the two years before the next GE has to take place.
Agreed. The Conservative party won a majority in the last election not Boris.

2 years is a long time in politics so they have an opportunity to make things better whilst improving in the poles. If there was a GE now they could suffer a big defeat whilst also causing delays in fixing the economy and also adding an unknown with Labours economic policies. For me, I don't want labour looking after the economy. That worries me far, far more than Rishi taking over.

The shambles of some of Boris and all of Liz has been dreadful but the damage can be undone. Lets get cracking with more infrastructure projects and get some positivity back.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Maybe it's my more youthful view, but I really don't get how Labour would be worse than the Tories (no idea who I'd currently vote for). Since I've been able to vote, it's always been the Tories in power, and the country seems worse to me than it's ever been. I don't see how Sunak makes things better and Mordant is my local MP. I don't like her much either :lol:

I'm not sure they've delivered anything worthwhile and have actually taken away stuff I never wanted to go away (mainly thanks to Brexit).

I really don't get why anyone would want to give them a chance any time soon, and it looks like the polling backs that up (albeit with a pinch of salt as they're never fully accurate).
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think a lot of people would be afraid that Labour would spend all the money the country doesn't have on bloated nationalised services, leaving an (even more) multi-generational national debt.

Certainly that was a big fear under Corbyn.

However, you're right to say it may not be worse, I don't know how fiscally responsible Labour's current plan is (hopefully we can judge from their election manifesto). I think there's a high chance it would be less shambolic to watch in the news, but whether it would be better in terms of the national interest and wealth is unknown. You'll find out in a couple of years.

Personally I'd like to see bigger minority stakes for the other parties, I'm sure a massive Labour majority will be just as bad as a massive Cons majority. The smaller parties bring a lot of value in terms of holding policies to account rather than everybody voting on party limes. However, it seems that the general population don't agree lately and we're really heavily a two party system right now.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ready for Rishi?
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:13 pmReady for Rishi?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:15 am How long until the:

"I won't take advice from a Millionaire on how to save money - why doesn't he give up his fortune to help with the Energy Crisis?? Some Leader he is."

... social media posts start flying about ??
About 2 minutes as it turned out:

"Leftwing Labour backbencher Nadia Whittome today tweeted: 'Rishi Sunak and his wife sit on a fortune of £730,000,000. That's around twice the estimated wealth of King Charles III.

'Remember this whenever he talks about making ''tough decisions'' that working class people will pay for.' "

:roll: