The Protest Thread.

nuttinnew

Re: The Protest Thread.

Post by nuttinnew »

It'd probably be classed as assault. However, were it soup or mashed potato it'd probably be classed as taking the piss, with a reduced sentence for good humour.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

A few high end car dealerships in Berkeley Sq were painted orange yesterday
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Just Stop Oil ⚖️💀🛢@JustStop_Oil·23h
💬 Carmen Lean, a 28-year-old architecture student from Glasgow, said:

Shouldn't she be protesting concrete?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

That would just be whataboutism
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ No, I'm not that shallow.

"Do you expect me to die?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to be orange."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63454974
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Straight talking sense from Starmer 😯

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That is absolutely right and the best thing I’ve ever heard him comment on.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Injured Policeman and a fairly nasty looking truck on truck crash today.

this has to stop now ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-63565808
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think these protests make more sense than the art gallery ones tbh.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not sure I agree - causing an increase in the amount fuel used to make your point about using less fuel seems a bit daft to be honest...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Saw something on Twitter earlier about journalists that were on site covering the JSO protests being arrested. If true then WT effing F?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:34 am Not sure I agree - causing an increase in the amount fuel used to make your point about using less fuel seems a bit daft to be honest...
Causing disruption for the actual thing you're protesting is a better route than protesting at something completely removed from the subject.

As far as fuel burned stuck in the disruption, it's a literal drop in the ocean of fuel we burn a day.

I saw that thing about the LBC reporter as well @Swervin_Mervin. Not that surprising with the increasingly draconian anti protest rules being touted by the government.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:43 am As far as fuel burned stuck in the disruption, it's a literal drop in the ocean of fuel we burn a day.
I was thinking more of the thousands of journeys that will need to be re-taken because of missed appointments etc.

Look I fully understand why they are protesting and support the message that we need to change our reliance on fossil fuels but trying to Browbeat the population into compliance will never work.

If anything, I think the throwing of soup at artwork is more effective because a. It gets more global press and b. it highlights the level of risk to their own personal freedom (imprisonment for criminal damage) that ordinary people are prepared to take on our behalf to try to get change.

EDIT - I’m not advocating criminal damage either by the way…
Last edited by dinny_g on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:23 pm That is absolutely right and the best thing I’ve ever heard him comment on.

Dave!
Apart from the bit about carbon capture, which is a completely stupid idea
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:05 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:43 am As far as fuel burned stuck in the disruption, it's a literal drop in the ocean of fuel we burn a day.
I was thinking more of the thousands of journeys that will need to be re-taken because of missed appointments etc.

Look I fully understand why they are protesting and support the message that we need to change our reliance on fossil fuels but trying to Browbeat the population into compliance will never work.

If anything, I think the throwing of soup at artwork is more effective because a. It gets more global press and b. it highlights the level of risk to their own personal freedom (imprisonment for criminal damage) that ordinary people are prepared to take on our behalf to try to get change.

EDIT - I’m not advocating criminal damage either by the way…
Trying to get people to use less fuel isn’t being unsuccessful due to lack of awareness though. It’s probably one of the most discussed topics of this century.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

At the moment, I think it's unsuccessfully due to a lack if viable alternatives...

And some of the recent commentary isn't going to help matters - 1 trillion pounds in "reparations" due to the industrial revolution would go a long way to providing viable alternatives in THIS country to using less oil
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Really digging into the Daily Mail headlines today? :lol:

The “reparations” are mostly going to be used to stop third world countries becoming increasingly reliant on fossil fuels as the develop.

Also I think finally paying for all the shit we stole is probably worthwhile.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:43 am I saw that thing about the LBC reporter as well @Swervin_Mervin. Not that surprising with the increasingly draconian anti protest rules being touted by the government.
Well, it is surprising. After all, it's down to the police to apply law and you have to wonder why they would choose to do so against journalists and not the protestors.

I would genuinely love to know the rationale behind the police forces' actions, particularly with regard to the protestors not being removed. In most cases we're not talking about the same levl of protests like we've had at fracking test sites for example, where people are handcuffing themselves to things/together. We're talking about people sat in the road and therefore easily removed without much, if any, risk to their safety.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:23 am Really digging into the Daily Mail headlines today? :lol:

The “reparations” are mostly going to be used to stop third world countries becoming increasingly reliant on fossil fuels as the develop.

Also I think finally paying for all the shit we stole is probably worthwhile.
iNews actually - link popped up on a social media feed... :lol:

But it's a daft idea on all counts
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Throwing eggs at the King ?? :roll: