Emergency Landing

dinny_g

Re: Emergency Landing

Post by dinny_g »

I had a go around in Dublin on a Ryanair Flight - right before touchdown there was a big lurch to the side and he took off again and came round for a second go.

I'll be honest, I haven't enjoyed flying since...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

We had an engine explode on us during take-off once - huge flames and "bits" flying out the back of the engine

We happened to be sat next to it at the time

We were pretty much committed to take-off speed when it happened, but we aborted

Brakes went on like you'd not believe possible, several loud bangs as the tyres popped, and we stopped in a scarcely believable distance

Firetrucks etc arrived after a few mins, during which time we were sat next to the (still burning/smoking) engine + a wing-full of fuel

But it was all pretty quiet and undramatic - everything was over in a blink, and I think people realised we'd be OK - it was pin-drop quiet in the cabin (no shouting, screaming, crying etc)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Talking of stopping quickly - we went to Skiathos donkeys years ago and didn't come in over the road like normal - we corkscrewed down and came from the other side. Pilot warned everyone ot would be full brakes as soon as we touched the tarmac and for everyone to brace themselves against tje seat in front.

The corkscrew approach did me in but the landing was hilariously funny! It's amazing how quick it slowed to a stop. Lots of screaming on board though apart from me laughing my head off.

I didn't fly well for years after that (not least as take off 2 weeks later was fairly eventful as well)
scotta

Post by scotta »

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

scotta wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:57 pm
That looked like a massive lairy handbrake!

Hope no one on here was sending any parcels to Costa Rica, might be a bit soggy now.
Beany

Post by Beany »

"Sir, this is an airport, not MaccyDs car park"
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:30 pm "Sir, this is an airport, not MaccyDs car park"
Can we have our trays back please?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Read the full thread and click on the pics (linked from Sky news here
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Yikes. Really looking forward to the 11 hour flight tomorrow. :shock:
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

Where r u off to?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Coming home from two weeks in Thailand.
---
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Can’t park there mate
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

And to round off the thread Norwegian have declined to reimburse us for the tickets because hitting a bird wasn't something they could control, so they're not liable.
---
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Any way to appeal? Or an ombudsman to complain to?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Unlikely. One for the travel insurance, I guess.
---
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

IanF wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:29 pm Glad everyone is okay DJ. Managing to hit a bird must’ve involved some seriously skilful flying! 😁

Windscreens are triple layer and can actually take maximum pressure differential with just one layer remaining, but I wouldn’t wish to judge another pilots actions as I wasn’t there.

There are two levels of emergency response, Mayday being the highest, but slightly lower is Pan which gives you priority assistance from air traffic control and ground services. If either are called then it is SOP for the emergency services to attend.

I was up over northern Canada a few years back and my windscreen cracked.. it made a hell of a noise and is quite startling plus then getting an ECAM warning was concerning. Thankfully the other layer held so I continued to LA as anywhere nearby was too bloody cold and we would have been stuck there for a couple of days whilst they transported up a replacement.
Good to have some expert insight, most of my bird strike knowledge comes from that episode of Cabin Pressure where they hit a goose and Benedict Cumberbatch has to land it on one engine. I assume it is accurate.