Emergency Landing

DeskJockey

Emergency Landing

Post by DeskJockey »

Was meant to be arriving at my dad's with the kids and wife in tow just about now. But about 10 minutes into a quite bumpy flight out of Gatwick the pilot came on the intercom and, cool as a cucumber, announced that "wouldn't you know it there was a bird flying in the clouds we were coming through and it hit and cracked the windscreen, so as a precaution we're going back to Gatwick". Twenty minutes after that we were back on the tarmac with the rescue vehicles lining the runway. Completely and utterly undramatic.

As frustrating as it was, nothing happened (to anyone but the bird) and after a bit of airport chaos we decided to go home as with the best will in the world we'd end up with even more knackered children and barely 24 hours with my dad. Refund already being processed.

It was my daughter's first flight too, so she has had a few laps of Gatwick and an emergency landing as a first experience. Fingers crossed the flights to/from Thailand in a few weeks to to plan.

So, I'm now sleeping in my own bed tonight.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Re: Emergency Landing

Post by dinny_g »

Jesus Gods we’re smiling on you DJ

My first ever time in a plane (flying to England for my interview) we had to turn back about 10 mins in but for a far less critical mechanical issue - took off in daylight, would be landing in the dark and there was an issue with the lights.

Hope the kids aren’t impacted by this and you get to see your Dad soon…👍🏻
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Cheers. Middle one is most upset, and they're all knackered.

We're looking at rebooking in November instead.
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:shock: Must have been some bird, as I presume the screens are designed to take a bird impact.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Glad that everyone was safe and no real danger, although a lot of running around for you.

The pilot may have been cool as a cucumber on the intercom, but I would have loved to see his reaction when a bird hit the screen at 500mph. Large flies/bees hitting a car screen can make me jump at 80mph, so fuck knows what the sound of a bird impact was like!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:07 am :shock: Must have been some bird, as I presume the screens are designed to take a bird impact.
Must have been a fully laden swallow.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sounds nice :lol:

I was on a plane once where a bird hit the nose and disabled the radar - on the same plane one of the tyres had burst all when taking off from orlando to mexico. The crew went white when we started circling dumping all the fuel theyd just taken on. Good job for free booze as my mate and I were too slaughtered to notice this near death landing. Eventually made it there - took 3 days in all from setting off but lived to tell the story. :D
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Will be a cool story to tell their friends at least 😎

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Aeroglas repair, Aeroglas replace. But they are never there with their glue-gun when you need them ;)

Glad you landed safely - even an aborted landing can get people really nervous. :shock: Where is @IanF for some proper insights?
Gavster wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:13 am The pilot may have been cool as a cucumber on the intercom, but I would have loved to see his reaction when a bird hit the screen at 500mph.
Not unless the bird was flying at 30 000 ft. Probably more like 350, but still.....

Different root cause of course, but I expect all pilots are keen that they don't experience this kinda shizzles - you may remember this one?

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:50 am
Gavster wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:13 am The pilot may have been cool as a cucumber on the intercom, but I would have loved to see his reaction when a bird hit the screen at 500mph.
Not unless the bird was flying at 30 000 ft. Probably more like 350, but still.....
#nerdalert ;)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:50 am

Depends on the combined speed based on the bird’s direction of travel. I’m sure we could work it out by using the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Taking off from Gatwick are we to assume it was a European swallow ?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Lining the runway with emergency vehicles seems a bit overkill for a cracked screen, unless they were concerned about more damage elsewhere they weren’t telling you about…
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:46 am Taking off from Gatwick are we to assume it was a European swallow ?
It’s unlikely to be an African at this time of year
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I don't know what the standard operating procedure is, but perhaps "lining" was too strong a word. They were definitely there and waiting though.
---
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Glad everyone is okay DJ. Managing to hit a bird must’ve involved some seriously skilful flying! 😁

Windscreens are triple layer and can actually take maximum pressure differential with just one layer remaining, but I wouldn’t wish to judge another pilots actions as I wasn’t there.

There are two levels of emergency response, Mayday being the highest, but slightly lower is Pan which gives you priority assistance from air traffic control and ground services. If either are called then it is SOP for the emergency services to attend.

I was up over northern Canada a few years back and my windscreen cracked.. it made a hell of a noise and is quite startling plus then getting an ECAM warning was concerning. Thankfully the other layer held so I continued to LA as anywhere nearby was too bloody cold and we would have been stuck there for a couple of days whilst they transported up a replacement.
Cheers,

Ian
tim

Post by tim »

"Cancel Mayday, too cold" :D
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:29 pm I was up over northern Canada a few years back and my windscreen cracked.. it made a hell of a noise and is quite startling plus then getting an ECAM warning was concerning.
Mik: Over Canada?
IanF: No. I don’t think I’ll ever get over Canada…..

WTF is ECAM for non Roger Roger, what’s your vector Victor types….
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Mildly frightening experience. Fortunately never had anything as bad. we did once have a failed pressurisation system when coming back from Orlando, so the operator diverted to their hub (Indianapolis) and swapped us to another aircraft, the flight as it had to be kept at under 10,000 feet took an age as the speed was limited and the change of aircraft too about 2 hours. Definitely the best option to bin it off.

My friend at work did have a go around at Heathrow a few years back where another plane stopped on the runway after landing because they didn't know when exit to take. Apparently not uncommon but pretty frightening.