IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Collective hive mind assemble! Car question

Post by IanF »

My parents have moved to Poole and so I’ve been visiting them a lot. 😄

However, they’ve both been admitted to hospital today with a confused/not eating Dad behaving strangely the last few days and in a pretty bad state, then my Mum ruptured a tendon in her wrist this afternoon. 🙄

It’s made me consider moving down here, or at least buy a car to do the 100 mile each way journey from my current place. (It’s not all altruistic: they have my dogs whilst I’m away with work!) I’ve been using the M4 but it’s now exceeded its contracted mileage, so each journey is costing in fuel + excess mileage around £90 per trip.

So, 1000 miles per month and it’s all motorway/A-roads. Air con is a must and it must be able to take two dogs (as they go my M4 currently, I’m not sure this limits it much!).

I want a reliable mile eater that I can do lots of miles in.. what’s the minimum I’d need to spend to get to and from work without having to pray to the Sky Fairy every time!?

I sit with cruise control at 80 mostly with the occasional aggressive, aka BMW, overtake now and then.

Is the 3/520d the answer? Or should I try something different. Merc CLS is super slippery, estate looks okay.. wanders off looking at CLS63s, gives self a slap .. or maybe an Audi - will help getting to work quickly?

Tbh, if I’m spending £5K pa as is, I’d like to throw £4/5k at something and part ex in a year.. or maybe 6 months if I find something with a 12 month MoT?

Are Golf’s efficient? GTD maybe? Does it have to be diseasel??

I’ll probably also use it as an airport car/tip runs/dogging etc but saw a gold Rover 75 estate down the road for 4k and was tempted, so some help is obviously needed! 😂

Leftfield- Tesla 3 LR?? 🤦🏼‍♂️
Cheers,

Ian
Swervin_Mervin

Re: Collective hive mind assemble! Car question

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Forum etiquette dictates that I have to suggest an E91 330i. Can be picked up for around the 5k mark, won't depreciate, will do 30-35 mpg on a ctuise at 80mph and, crucially, it's not diesel. Which at 12k a year you could get away with it being petrol I'd say.

As for whether it would fit 2 dogs - I have no idea I'm afraid.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Similarly, forum etiquette suggests I recommend a MkIV Mondeo Tit X 2.0 TD

Knocking on 50mg on a 70mph run (real 40 at 80-85), easy remap to 180bhp/280lb-ft to make it a bit more engaging to drive, all the toys, the facelift ones can be had with heated and cooled part alcantara seats, nice gearshift etc. It's a fairly recent Ford so you probably already know what to expect.

The wagons are pleeeenty big enough for a couple of woofers, they're well understood in terms of maintenance and repairs etc and can be had relatively cheap for clean ones.

They drive pretty well, too - bearing in mind they are a fairly large estate, but on A-roads and DCs that'll be less of an issue.

Worth looking at, although perhaps a bit older than you're looking for.

That said an E91 is probably not a bad choice either - similarly reliable/well known, arguably better to drive, high spec ones will have toys too, etc and if petrol/diesel is an issue (ultra low emission zones and all that) then that might make more sense than a relatively older diesel.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Deleted!
Last edited by Rich B on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Skoda Superb?
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3

It's a petrol (good), same engine at our Focus and it's been reliable and gets 45mpg when we go to Surrey from the North East. Not the biggest estate but easily big enough for two decent sized dogs I would think. Cruise control, sensible sized alloys and no sports suspension.

MOT history for that one is pretty clear too. Only a fail for a worn tyre and low brake pad over the years.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sounds like you just need to get rid of the M4 and something more capable of carrying dogs and doing better mpg. It clearly isn't practical enough for your current needs and your deal doesn't have the mileage allowance required. What's the point in getting another crappy old car to use every single weekend which you need to run and maintain, just so you can have an M4 for the weekdays?

Just replace the issue car. You have a Ferrari for fun.

So that's now a budget of what £600+ a month?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

You could likely pick up some petrol Civic for £5k. They look OK and are pretty bullet proof and you won't care if it gets dinged in a car park. Decent sized boots for the dogs.

The V60 above has a teeny tiny boot so it depends what size your dogs are?

Also Octavia VRs or Leon FR would be available in petrol or diesel, I would go petrol and should still hit high 30s on a run if not more.
mik

Post by mik »

Forum convention requires that someone also recommends the Ferrari F40.

These hold their value exceptionally well and can accommodate a number of dogs*.

*when towing a small trailer designed to accommodate a number of dogs.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

If you want something reliable to eat up the miles then get a Toyota or Honda.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

7-Series. Definitely comfy for the miles.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:45 am Sounds like you just need to get rid of the M4 and something more capable of carrying dogs and doing better mpg. It clearly isn't practical enough for your current needs and your deal doesn't have the mileage allowance required. What's the point in getting another crappy old car to use every single weekend which you need to run and maintain, just so you can have an M4 for the weekdays?

Just replace the issue car. You have a Ferrari for fun.

So that's now a budget of what £600+ a month?
Very much the logical answer depending on availability of something else new. Not sure on how the M4 is financed, but should be a decent price/easy to hand back as they'll be sought after.

Then buy an M3 estate.
scotta

Post by scotta »

When I had the boring commute I bought the Accord - EX GT so plenty kit and superbly comfy seats.. You can get a good one of those for around £4-5k
Boring otherwise but comfy seats and decent stereo.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

£4-5k won’t get you much, but a big diesel estate would be perfect. W212 E-class probably the best value.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 am If you want something reliable to eat up the miles then get a Toyota or Honda.
This, anything 5k and German won't be reliable.
scotta

Post by scotta »

scotta wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 am When I had the boring commute I bought the Accord - EX GT so plenty kit and superbly comfy seats.. You can get a good one of those for around £4-5k
Boring otherwise but comfy seats and decent stereo.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... price-desc
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

IanF wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:49 pm Leftfield- Tesla 3 LR?? 🤦🏼‍♂️
Not sure how this fits into your £5k potential budget.
And does this involve keeping the M4 or getting rid of it?

But 1000 miles/month is £180/month at 40mpg & £1.60/litre.
What does the M4 do on such a run, 25mpg? That'd be £290/month.

So for £110/month extra in fuel you get to carry on enjoying the M4. I'd do that.
If you were keeping the M4 you'd be spending a fair chunk of that £110 taxing, insuring, servicing and MOTing something else anyway.

edit: need to add in the excess mileage cost for the !k miles to that
Left over crest; tightens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I think Rich is right on this one...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:11 pm I think Rich is right on this one...
Nah. He's advocating having fewer cars, and appears to be inferring that all older cars are crappy.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:11 pm I think Rich is right on this one...
Nah. He's advocating having fewer cars, and appears to be inferring that all older cars are crappy.
it just seems the obvious thing to me. Why buy some unknown cheap (potential) shitbox to save probably <£50 a week because the lovely car you're paying out £600+ a month on already doesn't suit your lifestyle any more.

Ditch the M4, get a 335d / Tesla model 3 / etc and spend your time driving a car that suits your lifestyle.