IT help please.

McSwede

IT help please.

Post by McSwede »

I've just got a new work laptop. Dell Latitude 7320 detachable.

I cannot log in to Netflix. It just comes up with incorrect password. It also mentions reCAPTCHA but nothing pops up.

I've been over it with Netflix and did a password reset. I've been over it with an IT bod at work and still it doesn't work. Same if I use web browser or the app to try log in.

I could really do with it working for tomorrow. Any help appreciated ๐Ÿ˜
Zonda_

Re: IT help please.

Post by Zonda_ »

Is it the Netflix app or webpage?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:57 pm Is it the Netflix app or webpage?
Both
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

something to do with Netflix is blocked?

the laptop doesn't have some library/support file that Netflix requires (like .Net etc)?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DaveE wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:07 pm something to do with Netflix is blocked?

the laptop doesn't have some library/support file that Netflix requires (like .Net etc)?
Netflix is not blocked. Checked that.

How do I check the .net thingy??
mik

Post by mik »

Tried a different browser like EDGE?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was going to suggest the password reset thing as that happened to me before when I was logging-in on a new laptop - this was there way of protecting me from hackers...

If Netflix weren't any help, sounds like this might be one for @Beany, although if the web access and the app aren't working it shouldn't be missing files as the app should be self contained for files. Clear cache, cookies, different browser etc are also first things to check.

Did it work on your old work laptop? I'm assuming it works on other devices on the same network your laptop is on? You're not going through a VPN of any sort on your work laptop?

First guess would have been some sort of content block if its a managed company device, but if your IT guy at work has checked then I'm out of ideas.
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Ascender wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:47 pm I was going to suggest the password reset thing as that happened to me before when I was logging-in on a new laptop - this was there way of protecting me from hackers...

If Netflix weren't any help, sounds like this might be one for @Beany, although if the web access and the app aren't working it shouldn't be missing files as the app should be self contained for files. Clear cache, cookies, different browser etc are also first things to check.

Did it work on your old work laptop? I'm assuming it works on other devices on the same network your laptop is on? You're not going through a VPN of any sort on your work laptop?

First guess would have been some sort of content block if its a managed company device, but if your IT guy at work has checked then I'm out of ideas.
It's a mystery alright! VPN has been turned off when I try log into Netflix

I've used Edge and Firefox with the same result. It's rather annoying
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

What DNS servers are you using, have you tried using Google's? Flush DNS cache? Really reaching now...

Are your network settings open for you to edit on the laptop or are they locked down?

Can you access and view any other streaming sites like Disney+, Prime etc and YouTube, watch videos on Facebook etc?
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Ascender wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 pm What DNS servers are you using, have you tried using Google's? Flush DNS cache? Really reaching now...

Are your network settings open for you to edit on the laptop or are they locked down?

Can you access and view any other streaming sites like Disney+, Prime etc and YouTube, watch videos on Facebook etc?
YouTube or Disney+ is no problem

We can't use Google Chrome.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

And it definitely worked on your old work laptop?

I'm out of ideas... there must be something on there :D
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Ascender wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:33 pm And it definitely worked on your old work laptop?

I'm out of ideas... there must be something on there :D
I never used Netflix on the old one. Fuck knows what going one with the new one ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Guess I'll be watching Andor on the train ๐Ÿ˜
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

And I take it you don't have the old one to try Netflix on?
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

You've got caps lock on ๐Ÿ˜‰
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fuck knows, kids.

Are you able to make a different account on the machine and try from there? (I'd think not if it's a work lappy)

Only things I can think about are a work related piece of software causing the problem. You'd hope your works IT bod would know about that though....
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

When you say "an IT bod at work" is it someone from your actual IT team, or someone you work with who claims to know IT because they installed Linux on a spare PC at home?

AFAIK the who 'wrong password' is a generic thing with Netflix if it doesn't like the device or where you're connecting from (or through). Any other security software on there? Various security software pushes traffic to its own servers/proxies to block/track/monitor what filth is being browsed at home...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:01 am When you say "an IT bod at work" is it someone from your actual IT team, or someone you work with who claims to know IT because they installed Linux on a spare PC at home?
I resent this overly accurate description of me :lol:
AFAIK the who 'wrong password' is a generic thing with Netflix if it doesn't like the device or where you're connecting from (or through). Any other security software on there? Various security software pushes traffic to its own servers/proxies to block/track/monitor what filth is being browsed at home...
Good shout - Kaspersky, for example, ManInTheMiddles *all* your SSL traffic to make sure it's 'safe' and that can cause problems. Disable it all as best you can and retry.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

It does sound exactly like what happens when I've got my VPN running.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 pm You've got caps lock on ๐Ÿ˜‰
This, or typed it wrong.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Did you copy/paste the username from another box or app?

If you did helpfully it will quite often add a trailing space which you can't see but the system won't ignore and will chuck a bad password error at you.