New Merc C63 AMG

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

New Merc C63 AMG

Post by Jobbo »

2.1 tonnes, 670bhp and 4 cylinders. It's a no from me.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... hev-system

mik

Re: New Merc C63 AMG

Post by mik »

Needs a new (less utterly illogical) moniker. Far from the only example , but why TF do manufacturers/marketeers feel they have to do this crap? :evil:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It'll have stupid fart on command gearshift "crackle".

Downsizing from the V8 just makes a more compelling case to go full EV.

Does occur that maybe some of that extra power might one day find its way into an Emira which is a rather exciting thought.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, that's the worst of both worlds for me. Soulless flatulence overpowered saloon to make up for its excessive weight whilst also being a rubbish hybrid. Just make it fully electric...
How about not having a sig at all?
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Just watched the new CarWOW video on it. Not that I'm in the market for one, but I like the looks of it at least. The V8 going is obviously disappointing, but the weight increase is mental considering they've halved the engine. 2111kg for the saloon, 2145kg for the estate. The last gen was 1680kg and 1750kg. EV element sure is heavy! I guess the all wheel drive would add a bit of weight as well, but 431kg increase is mind boggling. Wonder if it feels like a boat..?

Mat was definitely making this a bit awkward for the AMG guy.

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Absolutely zero desire to even see one of these.

What a shame.

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Insane numbers and certainly a different experience. The world is changing - I want to see what it's like before casting 'on paper' aspersions on it.

Any idea how they arrived at that torque figure? Elec + petrol engines combined don't even make that much torque.

But over 450bhp from a 2 litre is INSANE.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Was just reading about this as I have a vested interest. They seem to have hedged their bets and missed the target of either going all-in on EV or ICE. Those figures from a 2 litre engine, even without the electric boost, wow. That's crazy. And the weight increase? Plus that engine? Very strange.

I don't like that big touchscreen in the interior either and the instrument binnacle and wheel looks very "chintzy". Although I'm not a fan of the way BMW have just stuck a big curved screen on to their dashboard to be fair, but I still think it looks better than that.

How strange. Those V8s are going to hold their value really well in the face of this.

I thought we were over the fascination with making sure you had "all the horsepowers" and the best 0-60 time in cars like this but I guess not.

Caveat... nobody has driven it yet.

PH headline was "No V8 is a gut punch - but AMG has 680 reasons why you still might regret ordering an M3 Touring..." Nah, I think I'm ok with my decision.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm Those V8s are going to hold their value really well in the face of this.
Mr @Maurice mentioned the same to me. (I wasn’t with him, but he was possibly gently caressing the steering wheel of his at the time…. :D )
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:25 pm
Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm Those V8s are going to hold their value really well in the face of this.
Mr @Maurice mentioned the same to me. (I wasn’t with him, but he was possibly gently caressing the steering wheel of his at the time…. :D )
:lol:

I'm not a big Merc fan, but love the front of that car.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:48 am Any idea how they arrived at that torque figure? Elec + petrol engines combined don't even make that much torque.
Not seen that explained - the PH article also says they don't know how the figure was reached and that the tech info says it's dependent on gear combination.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Could be calculating the EV torque portion of it at the axle whilst it's running under a large RPM reduction in first gear. Hence gearing dependent.

Kind of like the new Hummer and its ridiculous torque figure.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

They can't simply measure torque at the hub or wheel. If you did that, any 4x4 with a low-range transfer box would have massively more torque than anything else.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

+431kg is just insane...
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

evo article (https://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/c63-s-sa ... bhp-hybrid) says a minimum’ of 752lb ft. But also doesn't explain how that's reached from 402 lb ft (petrol) + 236lb ft (electrric). The only thing I can see that might elude to it is, 'a discharge capacity of 70kW at constant use, with a 150kW overboost function for 10 second bursts', so maybe the overboots ups the torque figure?

Or maybe something to do with the two speed transmission?
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I like a luxobarge and a labrador launcher as much as the next man but this does absolutely nothing to warm the cockles of my cold, cynical heart.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I think Jon has it it, a temporary boost function.

Pretty sure the mito torque figure in the handbook is in dynamic mode on overboost :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:38 pm I think Jon has it it, a temporary boost function.

Pretty sure the mito torque figure in the handbook is in dynamic mode on overboost :lol:
But I don't equate how you define overboost values as a 'minimum'....
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think it’s to do with the 2-speed transmission for the electric motor. The motor might produce 236lb ft itself but if it gears down 2:1 then it’s outputting 472lb ft into the drivetrain.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 am I think it’s to do with the 2-speed transmission for the electric motor. The motor might produce 236lb ft itself but if it gears down 2:1 then it’s outputting 472lb ft into the drivetrain.
I assumed this too, but to your earlier point - it’s a very confusing way to cite the overall output when the ICE has a gearbox ahead of the final drive too…. :?