New one on me - Engine Theft

dinny_g

New one on me - Engine Theft

Post by dinny_g »

Hope you can see the image - it's from facebook

ON Sunday night, a neighbor had the engine ripped out of his Van - No finesse or mechanical knowledge - just yanked out with pipes and connectors ripped and broken. He heard a noise but didn't think it was anything - about 30 minutes later he checked and it was gone.

FFS... :evil:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Re: New one on me - Engine Theft

Post by mik »

Weird story. Radiator/lights/bumper have clearly gone, but engine appears to be there non? Alternator on the LHS is attached to it presumably, and looks like gearbox casing visible between the chassis legs? :?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

To be fair Mik, I'm going by the Facebook Post. I haven't had a nosy round to see exactly what's gone. Perhaps they were interrupted mid job

It happened about 100 yards down the road from our place
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:26 am To be fair Mik, I'm going by the Facebook Post. I haven't had a nosy round to see exactly what's gone. Perhaps they were interrupted mid job

It happened about 100 yards down the road from our place
Yeah I realised that would be the case - and bloke who owns van isn’t necessarily an expert on its workings….. although I expect he’s rightly pretty pissed off…. :?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I have heard of other engines being prized but those cases, the car's stolen and dumped later sans engine. When I worked in South Africa, the Toytoa Engines that fit in the Bakkies were particularly prized... :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Looks like they've pulled the engine and left the accessories.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’ve not seen it in situ but I’ve heard of it when a car is stolen and later found with bits missing before. A known drug dealer used to have an rs4 and blew the gearbox- so had one pinched and it was found mechanically stripped
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Headlights aren't cheap these days either
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:27 am Headlights aren't cheap these days either
Headlights + bumper + grille combo very popular for facelift conversions.