Short notice bank holiday

Explosive Newt

Short notice bank holiday

Post by Explosive Newt »

Absolutely unbelievable the chaos this has wrought. Numerous poor patients who had waited 4 months or more for an appointment/operation getting it binned at less than a week's notice. That's on top of the chaos a 3-day weekend always has on inpatients.

Now a friend who had a professional exam for which he has been revising for for round about 3 months has had it cancelled and rescheduled to Jan, as that was the next Pearson Vue availability for several thousand folk sitting an exam at once.

I liked the Queen, and I don't think she would approve of this.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Short notice bank holiday

Post by Jobbo »

Do hospitals normally close for bank holidays?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I wonder how many businesses will try to stay open. Could be a tough sell considering even supermarkets that don't normally close for BHs are closing.

Also our nursery has closed so I'm assuming people will have childcare issues across the board. Luckily we've got it off so not a big issue, but I can imagine it being a nightmare for some folks, as mentioned.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That's piss poor. Is this what happens every bank holiday or is this one different? What causes things to be cancelled - because staff have to be given the option to take the day off which in turn means you can't deal with the resource changes at short notice?

I think there's lots of things like sport being cancelled and this sort of impact she would certainly not have approved of or wanted to happen...
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is my Mum. She's due to have an Op on Monday she's been waiting months for. Now no doubt it will be pulled. Just waiting for confirmation. Not very happy.

And our boys Nursery is closing, but luckily we'll get a discount off next term's bill to compensate.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:04 pm Do hospitals normally close for bank holidays?
Elective / outpatient work doesn’t happen. Emergency work still carries on, although the staff and capacity to do it are less (spoiler: this happens every weekend too).

It’s a bit variable, one or two places are prioritising cancer surgery and life threatening cases. The challenge is schools / nurseries being shut so anyone with young kids who has to work is going to really struggle for childcare.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Simon wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:33 pm This is my Mum. She's due to have an Op on Monday she's been waiting months for. Now no doubt it will be pulled. Just waiting for confirmation. Not very happy.
I'm sorry to hear that. If it helps at all, most of the physicians I have spoken to are really frustrated by this too.

Our hospital just sent this round all staff
We are rearranging all elective and non-emergency appointments for patients who were booked in with us on Monday, in line with normal bank holiday processes. Patients are being informed and we aim to rebook as many people as we can in September to minimise the impact on both patient care and our recovery progress.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:11 pm
Simon wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:33 pm This is my Mum. She's due to have an Op on Monday she's been waiting months for. Now no doubt it will be pulled. Just waiting for confirmation. Not very happy.
I'm sorry to hear that. If it helps at all, most of the physicians I have spoken to are really frustrated by this too.

Our hospital just sent this round all staff
We are rearranging all elective and non-emergency appointments for patients who were booked in with us on Monday, in line with normal bank holiday processes. Patients are being informed and we aim to rebook as many people as we can in September to minimise the impact on both patient care and our recovery progress.
Thanks. Well, pushed back 3 weeks to October 10th. Could've been worse I suppose. At least she won't be just coming out of hospital as I fly to Brazil.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Centre parcs saga was hilarious!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:23 pm Centre parcs saga was hilarious!
Have they resolved that yet?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:52 pm
apparently yes, but what a fuck up.

They basically asked Everyone to leave and come back the next day... 😂
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:57 pm
scotta wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:52 pm
apparently yes, but what a fuck up.

They basically asked Everyone to leave and come back the next day... 😂
Aye. Cos that was going to work.

I presume they’ve backed away from that now then?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, they've realised that was.....breathtakingly stupid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62893476
Simon

Post by Simon »

But still people who haven't booked in yet can't arrive on that day, and as the T&C's were picked apart by a lawyer on Twitter, they have no capacity to change the arrival day for people who have paid under those T&C's. I hope the more legal minded of their customers sues them.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Our local drs text today saying theyre still opening to carry on with their jabbing program £££££s
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

At this rate, the funeral itself will get postponed out of respect.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Beany wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:35 pm Yeah, they've realised that was.....breathtakingly stupid.

>> Facilities on-site, including restaurants, will still remain closed on Monday too. Center Parcs said it would be offering a discount for the lack of facilities available on that day.

Well that's great then. You can stay, but you can't do or eat anything.
Left over crest; tightens.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:04 pm Do hospitals normally close for bank holidays?
It's common to not schedule in routine appointments, clinic's and operations on bank holidays.
I was in hospital yesterday, staff have been busy on the phone trying to contact patients as not enough notice to send out letters to inform them.
Simon

Post by Simon »

JonMad wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:06 am
Beany wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:35 pm Yeah, they've realised that was.....breathtakingly stupid.

>> Facilities on-site, including restaurants, will still remain closed on Monday too. Center Parcs said it would be offering a discount for the lack of facilities available on that day.

Not forgetting that CP is self catering, although they do have restaurants onsite.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JonMad wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:06 am

that's not too big a deal if you have notice - they have full kitchens.