Car Insurance Renewal Roulette

Swervin_Mervin

Car Insurance Renewal Roulette

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It would appear that, at some point in the last 12mo, I've slipped out of middle age and into old age, going off the renewal quote I've just had through.

I was pretty chuffed last year to only pay £270 for the 330 - that was with RAC. That's the cheapest I think I've ever paid for car insurance. This year the renewal quote they've sent through is £197. :shock:
DaveE

Re: Car Insurance Renewal Roulette

Post by DaveE »

Mine's gone the other way - from £587 to £708

For an M140i

I'm 51

WTF?!
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Less than £500 for the Jag and V60 combined 😎

We're both 35!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just had my renewal through, and arf.. £390 last year, £972 this year. Looks like Hastings are getting sacked. :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Galaxie renewal came in recently too. Up about 17%. Still less than £120 though. Least year, the first year I insured it, the premium was *exactly* £100. Must have been some kind of introductory deal.
John

Post by John »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:34 pm It would appear that, at some point in the last 12mo, I've slipped out of middle age and into old age, going off the renewal quote I've just had through.

I was pretty chuffed last year to only pay £270 for the 330 - that was with RAC. That's the cheapest I think I've ever paid for car insurance. This year the renewal quote they've sent through is £197. :shock:
I've had this for the last couple of years now and like you it was a sudden drop. The mighty Panda and mx5 are less than £150 each :o

Although the mx5 went up £30 with exhaust and suspension mods declared.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Bike insurance renewal through - up 40 percent :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:02 am Must have been some kind of introductory deal.
I had that with my home insurance:

"But Sir, last years premium included a first year discount"

"Erm, you never fucking mentioned that last year..."
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jimny renewal came through a week or two ago. I was going to shop around since the quote was £162 as opposed to £152 last year, so I wasn't convinced there was much saving to be made - it's not a classic yet so not going to be sub-£100. Yesterday I got an automated Meerkat e-mail saying the cheapest quote they've found this year is £157. So I can't be arsed to spend my time shopping around and will just let it auto-renew.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Combined renewal for L200 and Berlingo dropped by £100 on the Business policy we have them on. Quite surprised. TVR not due until next April. Hopefully the boys Corsa will be off our roster by the time that renews.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:24 am Combined renewal for L200 and Berlingo dropped by £100 on the Business policy we have them on. Quite surprised. TVR not due until next April. Hopefully the boys Corsa will be off our roster by the time that renews.
I had a quote for my daughters first policy about 4 weeks before her test and had a couple of options at £1300 ish and when i re-ran it the day she passed they all wanted £1,800. I then spent 2 hours arguing with people who couldn't explain why, other than a tuck up of an alogrithm running in the background !

One company eventually caved in but I'd have a look at your sons renewal a month before :D
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Forgot to renew the ‘sud, then when I remembered I couldn’t access the online documents.

Had a look on the meerkats and got it for £75. 5000 miles inc commuting, fully comp, parked on a driveway.
Cheers, Harry
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Carlos wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:03 am
drcarlos wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:24 am Combined renewal for L200 and Berlingo dropped by £100 on the Business policy we have them on. Quite surprised. TVR not due until next April. Hopefully the boys Corsa will be off our roster by the time that renews.
I had a quote for my daughters first policy about 4 weeks before her test and had a couple of options at £1300 ish and when i re-ran it the day she passed they all wanted £1,800. I then spent 2 hours arguing with people who couldn't explain why, other than a tuck up of an alogrithm running in the background !

One company eventually caved in but I'd have a look at your sons renewal a month before :D
He failed his test a couple of weeks ago and we're waiting for him to sort a new date. At the moment as it's a learner policy with us as named drivers and we're using it from time to time (mainly to keep it used while he's away at Uni) we are paying both insurance and tax on it. I fully expect to get tucked up when we change it to a policy with him with a full licence, it's just the level we get tucked up to!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

If you get a quote in the day you need the insurance, expect it to be 50% more. Ideally, get quotes 3-4 weeks before you're renewal date for the best rates.

I had this when I had my GTi, they fucked in the delivery so I cancelled the insurance (£400), when they'd got the delivery sorted I rang up the insurance to sort it, the quote was now £600. Purely because it was needed straight away. The lease company cal gave me the £200 difference because with was their fuck up, but I learnt the lesson.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:14 am
Carlos wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:03 am

He failed his test a couple of weeks ago and we're waiting for him to sort a new date. At the moment as it's a learner policy with us as named drivers and we're using it from time to time (mainly to keep it used while he's away at Uni) we are paying both insurance and tax on it. I fully expect to get tucked up when we change it to a policy with him with a full licence, it's just the level we get tucked up to!
get/save some quotes as soon as you get the new test date. It costs nothing to have some quotes ready.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That. General rule is to shop around 2-4 weeks before renewal for the least shafting.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Money supermarket has a graph that suggests three weeks prior is the sweet spot yeah, I'll try again next week.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Ran the Porsche through money supermarket - best price £200. I thought "That sounds reasonable" - got my renewal through from One Call - £120. I'm sticking with OneCall! Can't believe it's so cheap, in fact it's probably the single cheapest aspect of 928 ownership - that's less than the price of a full tank of fuel.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Delphi wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:14 pm Ran the Porsche through money supermarket - best price £200. I thought "That sounds reasonable" - got my renewal through from One Call - £120. I'm sticking with OneCall! Can't believe it's so cheap, in fact it's probably the single cheapest aspect of 928 ownership - that's less than the price of a full tank of fuel.
I'd love to think I could get a similar result on renewal in November... :D
Barry

Post by Barry »

PSA - Do not bother using Hastings for multi car policies, they're just not setup to deal with such complexities as having two NCB documents.

Three seperate phone calls today, as the online portal simply refuses to generate my NCB doc for the Kia, I've resorted to chasing the Twitter account now as well, as its a joke at this point.

Third rep tried her best to adjust things but still came in at TWICE the price of online quotes, Hastings clearly decided they don't want to be part of the EV market place this year (they're waaaay down on the quote sites too).

Given myself a headache just trying to deal with that broker this morning, absolute shambles.