scotta

Bye Bye Liz...

Post by scotta »

Someone had to!
drcarlos

Re: Bye Bye Liz...

Post by drcarlos »

:lol: I guess so.

I should add though that although I don't essentially like her or think she'll be any good, I think we dodged a bullet and she will be less shit than Sunak would have been.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

:lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What a travesty the whole process has been.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I hope it doesn't last as long as the Boris one
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Wonder if we'll see short term gas policy changes and the announcement of a large investment in SMR's, maybe some long term investment in Thorium research. Hopefully some solar/battery grants for all again but I won't hold out heop for that.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Fucking hell.

Honestly, where did it all go wrong?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I forsee lots of populist measures, kicking the affordability can down the road in the hope that when the bill comes, she will have something global to blame such as Covid or Ukraine.

And our kids will be footing the bill for eternity
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So when are the tax cuts happening?
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:29 pm So when are the tax cuts happening?
im fully expecting a "oh yes...About that..." speech in the coming days.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:25 pm Fucking hell.

It started with 24hr rolling news coverage causing short termism, populist measures, and social media has exacerated the problem.

As noted elsewhere by someone smarter than me, the lack of long term strategic thinking has properly fucked us up. GOTTA GET THOSE VOTES, CAN'T UPSET THE GREENS/RACISTS/NATIONALISTS/TRADITIONALISTS/NHS STAFF/POLICE delete as approp for your govt of choice.

Edit: It was @Swervin_Mervin via @V8Granite
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:01 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:33 pm The government is supposed to secure the safety and security of the country, they failed to do that by letting us fall behind in our energy supplies.

Dave!
Successive governments, to be precise. This has been a problem many decades in the making, largely because Governments don't want to make long term strategic decisions that might piss off a few voters.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sunak isn't very likable, but I'm inclined to agree with his point that Truss's plans for the economy are flawed on a pretty basic level.

I don't think the people that voted for her can really get their head round the fact that if inflation is out of control it's irrelevant what taxes you cut as that extra money you have will just be covering inflated living costs!

People prefer to believe in the imaginary money tree it seems, and that warm fuzzy feeling they'll get when they look in their bank account and see that they've become a millionaire, ignoring that they've got to withdraw every penny of it to buy a loaf of bread. :D
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

We may all be millionaires soon, in Zimbabwe even the homeless are.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:31 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:25 pm Fucking hell.

It started with 24hr rolling news coverage causing short termism, populist measures, and social media has exacerated the problem.

As noted elsewhere by someone smarter than me, the lack of long term strategic thinking has properly fucked us up. GOTTA GET THOSE VOTES, CAN'T UPSET THE GREENS/RACISTS/NATIONALISTS/TRADITIONALISTS/NHS STAFF/POLICE delete as approp for your govt of choice.

Edit: It was @Swervin_Mervin via @V8Granite
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:01 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:33 pm The government is supposed to secure the safety and security of the country, they failed to do that by letting us fall behind in our energy supplies.

Dave!
Successive governments, to be precise. This has been a problem many decades in the making, largely because Governments don't want to make long term strategic decisions that might piss off a few voters.
Steady on Beany!

Ultimately any major decision on anything is going to piss some group off. Sadly, we now live in a world where we can't piss people off, so we do nothing. Which pisses people off as well, but at least you can't be accused of making the wrong decision if you didn't make one at all.

Which makes it all the more remarkable really that HS2 is still proceeding.

Meanwhile at a local level, our wonderful council (any many others are doing the same I'm sure) have just announced that they're going to cut weed spraying down to once a year. This will not only cut harmful pollution, but will cut costs and therefore ensure that the money can be spent elsewhere....most likely on having to clean the overflowing gullies that have led to flooding, or lifting and re-laying kerbing which has been fvcked up by weeds, or paying compo to people that have gashed their leg on a bramble brush that's overgrown the footway, etc. etc.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:33 pm Sunak isn't very likable
Understatement of the century! :lol:

I'm sure it was someone on here that described him as being like one of those people that's brought in to asset strip a company before winding it down, all the while with a beaming smile upon their face.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Once it got down to those two, there was no good choice unfortunately. Right now the only thing that I'm really interested in is staving off rampant inflation, minimising the impact of a recession, and keeping government spending in check. I had more faith in Sunak than Truss in that regard, but he was never going to win the head to head.

Let's hope for an early GE.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I think Bye Bye The Conservative Party is more appropriate!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I predict Starmer will win the next GE, and Boris the one after that. :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You either have rampant inflation or a recession to sort it out. I wouldn’t want to be either party dealing with the economy later this year.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:30 pm I predict Starmer will win the next GE, and Boris the one after that. :lol:
I'm far from convinced Starmer will win. I expect it'll be no majority, but beyond that I think it's impossible to predict, not least given how the next 12mo may or may not pan out.