Indy 2 Electric Boogaloo

ZedLeg

Re: Indy 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by ZedLeg »

Simon wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:15 am Better to put their efforts into campaigning for all of UK to rejoin the EU.
If it was up to Scotland we would've never left the EU, how much influence do you think we'll be able to exert now? :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I can't believe how little the government is being held to account up here for their numerous failings, cover-ups, lies, double-standards etc. Even just the bare-faced cheek of saying how little we need the UK government, whilst also holding out their other hand asking for more money.

Absolutely sick of 'em.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I wish people would stop giving the SNP so much power. Would still like to see us put more distance between ourselves and Westminster though.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:08 pm Aye, I wish people would stop giving the SNP so much power. Would still like to see us put more distance between ourselves and Westminster though.
Definitely.

It started off as an easy stick to beat them with, that it was all about Independence and their supporters didn't care about anything else, but over the last couple of years, its become blatantly obvious that a large group of their support seem oblivious as to how badly they're actually doing their day job.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I do think it's quite funny that all the unionists are using this as an excuse to go after Sturgeon and the SNP for corruption though, folk in glass houses and all that.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It's an odd situation really...

Please accept my apologies for my lack of understanding of Scottish Politics but is there a Scottish alternative ?? If the SNP campaign in the next GE on an Independence only ticket (As has been said) what are the alternatives ? - Conservative, Labour, Liberals and Greens ? Is that it ?

I don't know of a single Scot personally who want's independence (although to be fair, they all live in Ireland and England)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Support for it has grown up here since about 2017. As I said the last time we were discussing this voting for the scottish outposts of the westminster parties is a waste of time as they don't give a fuck. I'll keep voting Scottish Greens since they've distanced themselves from the westminster party over their slide into "gender critical" stupidity.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

In the absence of a definite option, a vote for the Greens is never a wasted vote...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

There's definitely a growing disquiet about the state of the country whilst the SNP continue to spend so much time and money on the referendum. Everyone knew what today's decision would be because... it's written in law....

I am going to guess that this will be spun as another example of us being told what to do by the nasty English/Tories, but the longer it goes on, the more divisive it gets.

Its down to the Greens and Labour I guess.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:03 pm There's definitely a growing disquiet about the state of the country whilst the SNP continue to spend so much time and money on the referendum. Everyone knew what today's decision would be because... it's written in law....

I am going to guess that this will be spun as another example of us being told what to do by the nasty English/Tories, but the longer it goes on, the more divisive it gets.

Its down to the Greens and Labour I guess.
It was as soon as the verdict was announced.

The sad thing is it's in the interests of the SNP to screw things up, up there, and to then blame it on the perceived persecution/lack of care coming from Westminster. I don't think there's any hope of countering that unless and until there is both a motivated media to counter the bullshit - lacking on both sides of the border - or a unified alternative political party that, as Zed says, isn't simply an outpost of Westminster.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:03 pm Everyone knew what today's decision would be because... it's written in law....
They knew what the outcome would be, but this legitimises the argument that Scotland is not a self-determining democracy. It gives them licence to run the next general election on a strong referendum mandate, so it is part of their inexorable inching closer to independence. All just steps in the process.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Seems to me there should be some non-Westminster affiliated political parties in Scotland that are not the SNP. Could be for or against independence but not have that as their modus operandi, more of a focus on actually governing or holding the government to account.

At the moment and independent Scotland would be an SNP dictatorship. :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I've also lost track of what's being done under the auspice of our government and what's being done as some sort of SNP campaign. I guess that's also part of their plan/part of the problem.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

IF they want to go, let them go I say and good luck to them...

Is it spelled Darien or Darion ?? ;)
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:52 am Seems to me there should be some non-Westminster affiliated political parties in Scotland that are not the SNP. Could be for or against independence but not have that as their modus operandi, more of a focus on actually governing or holding the government to account.

At the moment and independent Scotland would be an SNP dictatorship. :lol:
Nah, we have PR so plenty of other parties in Holyrood. If we went FTTP for Holyrood I think it would have been almost a clean sweep for SNP iirc.

An honest and unbiased media would be lovely though, just some facts would be nice. So fed up with soundbites that are nothing but BS.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, there's only been one majority government in the entire time at Holyrood iirc. Currently it's SNP and the Scottish Greens.

I've been in the boatshoes indy thread (currently in it's 11th volume) and hoes mad at Nicola Sturgeon :lol:
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Unless I'm missing something, the SNP are one short of an overall majority with 64. 57 of the remaining 65 seats are held by parties affiliated with the traditional Westminster parties.

All I'm saying is that IMO it would be good to have parties with no links to Westminster occupying those non-SNP seats, of any political persuasion but without the burden of being obsessed with independence above all other topics related to running a country. What's the reason any parties in Holyrood need to be part of a Westminster party?