Jack envy

mik

Jack envy

Post by mik »

Spent Saturday in my scruffies acting as Senior Chief Assistant Spanner Bitch for @scotta up at Knockhill. Specific issues we were chasing meant jacking up on or other corner of the car approximately 347times. During which I developed some serious jack envy…. :? The StrongBroo Racing jack is @Nefarious’s - proper 2.5tonne low-entry fast-lift double action mofo, with a wide stance and a big fat (and flat) pad. I have absolutely no idea why cheaper jacks tend to have a cupped lifting head - I have NEVER found it to be beneficial….

I think it is this naughty boy, but not sure

I already have 3 trolley jacks. 2x 2-tonne std jacks I inherited from my dad, and a cheap 2-tonne Halfords low-entry job. I have probably jacked up our own cars (including sprog’s cars) less times over the last 4 years than we jacked up the Mini yesterday, yet I found myself idly browsing similar jacks last night…. :? I am quite sure I don’t need one (and being chunky it would bring a storage challenge) but I am still like “hmmmm”. :geek:

Stoopid brain. :evil:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Jack envy

Post by Jobbo »

I’d like one as well but whenever I’ve looked at replacing my jack I remember how often I use it. Next time…
Beany

Post by Beany »

I have the same problem, although the flex on my cheap jack when lifting the car does mean I always make sure I use jack stands :lol:

The BMW is also just low enough to where fitting my jack under it is...tight at best.

A decent low access, quick lift jack is on The List, especially as the car is getting on a bit... And the caliper is sticking again...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I have a similar big juicy one. It it brilliant.

A lot less pumping, a lot less effort, lifts far higher and is far more stable.

It’s a big heavy bigger though which isn’t ideal as all our parking is on gravel so you have to carry it around.

Cheers, Harry
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

That is indeed the kiddie, Mik. (From Screwfix or Toolstation, on offer at £105 or similar)
You'd probably like the other one too - it's an Arcan "racing" jack. Basically the same as the Hilka but half the weight. Bought from Costco many years ago.

Like this, but not horrid green
https://arcantools.com/lifting/a20017
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Once we've moved, I shall be taking full advantage of the larger garage by getting one of these bad boys which should allow me to do a lot of the jobs I currently can't.

https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/car-lifts/bl-5000slx/
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nefarious wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:08 am ...an Arcan "racing" jack. Basically the same as the Hilka but half the weight. Bought from Costco many years ago.

Like this, but not horrid green
https://arcantools.com/lifting/a20017
I have one of those (the red Costco one) and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. After only a few years of occasional use the main seal started leaking and one of the small pistons keeps sticking. You have to drag the jack out from under the car and prise the piston free before it'll work again. Very annoying.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Delphi wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 am Once we've moved, I shall be taking full advantage of the larger garage by getting one of these bad boys which should allow me to do a lot of the jobs I currently can't.

https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/car-lifts/bl-5000slx/
Someone on here has one, the topic has come up before. I want one too 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

FINALLY bit the bullet and ordered one of these, as the price is rather keen with the 25% discount at £130 inc delivery.

Not very portable, but then I don't plan to port it.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3lp-l ... olley-jack

Not the lowest saddle height I've ever seen on a jack claiming to be low-profile (98mm) but that's plenty low enough to fit under the Evora, and the body is pretty flat, so I reckon it'll probably reach further in on a low car than other designs that boast a lower saddle, but have a more rapidly thickening chassis (see image of Sealey equivalent below (circa £300))
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Looks nice mik.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I wondered if Jack Envy was some celeb who I've never heard of, but who has just died
mik

Post by mik »

DaveE wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:31 pm I wondered if Jack Envy was some celeb who I've never heard of, but who has just died
Cause of death : vehicle on head
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I posted my jack purchase on the fleet update thread, but it’s the normal profile version of the same thing. Cost £89.99; I didn’t see the point in spending the extra for the low profile version when I’d just end up pumping it up to reach the jacking point.

So much nicer than a more basic trolley jack where you have to remove the handle to lower it. But so much heavier it’s absolutely not something you’d chuck in the boot.
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah I saw your post there Si - but then remembered I posted this some time back.

So after deciding I needed a better jack when we got our Disco3 - so that’s about 12yrs ago :oops:

It’s a chunky monkey. Saddle height plenty low enough for the Evora (which needs a good scrub).

Last edited by mik on Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You've made me go and check my saddle height now. It is a perfectly reasonable 138mm from ground to the high points of the metal cup. The rubber pad sticks up a couple of mm further.

Which is fine for the Macan, fine for the rear of the Audi and too tall to fit under the Audi's sill cover at the front. Doh. Should have bought the low entry version, shouldn't I :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Same problem on the Model 3 when we do the tyre rotation, fortunately the chassis is stiff enough and there’s not much suspension travel so jacking the rear will lift the front off the ground too.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Some testing over the weekend.

The rear jacking point on the Evora is pretty low - could only previously access it with my low-entry Halfords job. Obviously no issue getting to that with the new jack.

The front jacking point is pretty far inboard however, so the only way to jack the front up previously was to lift the rear approx 10cm - enough to allow sufficient space for a jack to slide in. Which was a bit of a pain in the bum.

Not any longer however 8-) as both are now fully accessible.

On the upside, I believe all four jacking pads to be bespoke to the Evora, and not off-the-shelf jacking pads from any humdrum manufacturer - hence I also took the opportunity to give a respectful nod in regard of their engineering provenence. ;)

I also lifted test-lifted the e-tron. Felt as stable as you might expect (although it set the alarm off - oops) and lifted without any huge effort. Lovely.

All in all, a rather uplifting experience. :geek:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:59 pm ...jacking pads...
Sounds filthy. Like a crack house for wankers.
mik

Post by mik »

Just a public service announcement - SGS have their jacks on (slightly less generous) discount again.

3 tonne low profile is offered at £144 (with free deliveries). The 2.5 tonne version a just tenner cheaper, but if you really need the whole club to be lookin' at her.... it's saddle height is 8mm lower at 90mm from the flo.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage- ... ow-profile
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ooh, I need a new jack, I don't trust my old one anymore. Just trying to decide whether I really need the extra lift height or could just get the 2 ton. :?