It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

mik

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by mik »

240PP wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:03 pm I use electric scooters regularly. I think they’re limited to 12.5mph.
The off-road Segway’s I rode were also limited to 12.5mph. It doesn’t feel that fast, until you are flying over the top of it en-route to a bush/wall/muddy puddle.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:17 am
240PP wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:03 pm I use electric scooters regularly. I think they’re limited to 12.5mph.
The off-road Segway’s I rode were also limited to 12.5mph. It doesn’t feel that fast, until you are flying over the top of it en-route to a bush/wall/muddy puddle.
I quite enjoyed the off-road Segway I tried but I did fall off twice. Once due to a speed wobble when trying to catch up with my wife.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Obviously the car drivers fault..

Cheers,

Ian
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I thought the cat was going to swat them :D and yes, the driver should be in a gritter, not a car...
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

That story is such bait 😂
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I've not clicked it. The video shows it all - people break law, people get fined.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:41 am I've not clicked it. The video shows it all - people break law, people get fined.
That was the original issue - the first video the police account posted didn't show it all. It didn't show any evidence that anyone had broken any laws at all :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

How did they manage to fail at that?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

They didn't show the cyclists going through a red light - their video started with the cyclists waiting to turn right past the light, but it is crossing the line that is the offence :lol:

Original:
Update:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fuckin' 'ell, have they not seen how some cyclists behave on Twitter or something, or do we think they were baiting them? :lol:
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Unsafe pass from the police car at the end, would be shocked if a cyclist doesn't say that in the comments :D
scotta

Post by scotta »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:52 pm Unsafe pass from the police car at the end, would be shocked if a cyclist doesn't say that in the comments :D
https://x.com/ChaponaBike123/status/174 ... 69004?s=20
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I have a feeling we've had this one before :?

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Comments seem in the favour if the car driver- seems to leave a decent amount of room- I’d say cyclist too far towards the middle if anything and seems to move right slightly at the point the car passes him
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:17 am
Comments seem in the favour if the car driver- seems to leave a decent amount of room
Yeah, I saw that one and was bemused. Doesn't look anything like a close pass to me? :?

The "them vs us" is getting silly now, and dicks like Jeremy Vile are responsible. For me the clip below is a clear "van driver is an arsehole" clip, but there are loads of replies having a go at the cyclist for having the audacity to slow - one stating that he should have used the pavement FFS :roll: Not the best image quality - he slows due to standing water (reasonably shallow on his side - rather deeper on the other side).

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:17 am Comments seem in the favour if the car driver- seems to leave a decent amount of room- I’d say cyclist too far towards the middle if anything and seems to move right slightly at the point the car passes him
The pass was pretty close - look at where the cyclist's read mudguard is relative to the car when the car starts to pull out. Camera angle is deceptive, though it is obvious from the second car passing (E46 Touring) that the first one doesn't give the requisite amount of space.

The Volvo also appears to pull out to pass on the approach to a blind bend which is probably why he left it so late and didn't give enough space.

Could have anticipated the replies on Twitter of course :lol:

I'm sure I recognise the location of that video too; looks like somewhere north of Kenilworth but I can't quite work it out.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:55 am
jamcg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:17 am Comments seem in the favour if the car driver- seems to leave a decent amount of room- I’d say cyclist too far towards the middle if anything and seems to move right slightly at the point the car passes him
The pass was pretty close - look at where the cyclist's read mudguard is relative to the car when the car starts to pull out. Camera angle is deceptive, though it is obvious from the second car passing (E46 Touring) that the first one doesn't give the requisite amount of space.

The Volvo also appears to pull out to pass on the approach to a blind bend which is probably why he left it so late and didn't give enough space.

Could have anticipated the replies on Twitter of course :lol:

I'm sure I recognise the location of that video too; looks like somewhere north of Kenilworth but I can't quite work it out.
I reckon the cyclist is riding about 40cm from the left of the lane. Lets assume they are approx 40cm wide, so their right shoulder is 60cm from the left edge of the lane.

The car pulls out far later than I would have, but the inside edge of their nearside wheels is almost on the centreline as they go past, so I'd estimate the car body is around 30cm from the centreline. Nearside mirror maybe 45cm from the centreline?

If it's a 2.5m wide lane*, then that estimate comes to 1.45m passing distance. Which is of course less than the 1.5m required, but it's all estimates. So it might be argued as marginal, but it doesn't look "close" to me.

And if the rider's concern is actually around the proximity to the (blind?) bend, then there surely needs to be more concern about the BMW as it comes through later, and with poorer visibility due to their further-right positioning?

* edit: just checked - residential streets and rural roads need to be a minimum of 5.5m wide, so each lane should be a minimum of 2.75m wide. And I'd guess that one is wider, but I obviously don't know that to be the case.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, the blind bend was my first thought, rather then explicitly being too close, but I guess we don't know what the NIP was for, do we?

I mean, it looked a bit close and wide angle cameras can mask that quite a bit, but I think I'd have held back. Would have added 30 seconds to the journey to make sure it was clear to give more space, functionally no difference at all.