It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 am
he was there about half an hour before the cyclist got there. Oh my, you had to stop pedalling a little to allow another road user to turn. 😲
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 am
Carlos wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:52 pm

These people are going to hurt themselves, I drive a car more defensively than this!

I thought that seemed familiar :D

A ginger in a London psa :o
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 am The LFB one
I'm coming around to the cyclists POV on this. He's somewhat self-righteous about the situation, however, the LFB vehicle did cross a giveaway line into the path of a more vulnerable road user. I fully acknowledge that the LFB vehicle had trouble seeing the cyclist who was in the blind spot, which is largely down to road design, but the cyclist is still nonetheless correct. Given the massive rise in segregated cycle lanes that feature these kinds of priorities on side roads, there needs to be a lot more education for drivers about how to deal with these junctions and rights of ways, especially in cities.

Something that I regularly see as a cyclist on these side-road junctions is that I will slow, or stop to allow a vehicle to cross, as many of you are suggesting this guy should have done. Most cyclists will not do that. Quite often I will slow to give a vehicle turning left some space to manoeuvre, and while I've slowed down or stopped, a whole bunch of other cyclists will whizz past me, right up the inside of the vehicle. In those instances I had the right way and tried to be courteous, but it would have been quicker and less confusing for everyone if I'd just carried on with my right of way.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’d say he’s right to hold back, However neither should be in the road as they ignore the more vulnerable road user patiently waiting at the zebra crossing at the start of the video
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Beardy bloke moved to Deptford for a cheap house and now wants everyone to die as a result 😂

This is quite common, I've had similar happen to me. They didn't call me called scared, just people getting pissed off at being held up and telling me to get out the way. Nowadays I leave a gap so that death-seekers can overtake me and whizz up the inside of whatever HGVs suits them.
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:37 am <not going down the inside of the truck vid>

I’d say he’s right to hold back.
It's a pretty tight space, and the truck will need to continue steering left just to stay in it's lane, so as there is potential for that space to become narrower when the truck moves - the caution feels quite fair.

What Gav said though - some people are just dicks - save yourself the hassle by leaving them space to take stoopid risks.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If you no longer go for a gap that exists are you really a cyclist?
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:37 am If you no longer go for a gap that exists are you really a cyclist?
I will hand back my Cinelli cap and never show my face again.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

https://x.com/krtn_will/status/17765243 ... ZkhQRDFknw

Bare-ly any gap left, he forces riders to be exposed to more danger. He could have easily been in a bum-p. Willy ever learn to not park in bike lanes? Na-kedsideration for other road users.

(That last one was pushing my luck).
mik

Post by mik »

Who nude?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:38 am https://x.com/krtn_will/status/17765243 ... ZkhQRDFknw

Bare-ly any gap left, he forces riders to be exposed to more danger. He could have easily been in a bum-p. Willy ever learn to not park in bike lanes? Na-kedsideration for other road users.

(That last one was pushing my luck).
That shows a lot of balls.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

No aggression from him though - seems quite a genital natured rider.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve never seen the appeal of naked cycling tbh. The risk of sitting on yourself is too damn high.
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I wonder if there’s a saddle?
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gavster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:41 pm
I'm coming around to the cyclists POV on this. He's somewhat self-righteous about the situation, however, the LFB vehicle did cross a giveaway line into the path of a more vulnerable road user. I fully acknowledge that the LFB vehicle had trouble seeing the cyclist who was in the blind spot, which is largely down to road design, but the cyclist is still nonetheless correct. Given the massive rise in segregated cycle lanes that feature these kinds of priorities on side roads, there needs to be a lot more education for drivers about how to deal with these junctions and rights of ways, especially in cities.

Something that I regularly see as a cyclist on these side-road junctions is that I will slow, or stop to allow a vehicle to cross, as many of you are suggesting this guy should have done. Most cyclists will not do that. Quite often I will slow to give a vehicle turning left some space to manoeuvre, and while I've slowed down or stopped, a whole bunch of other cyclists will whizz past me, right up the inside of the vehicle. In those instances I had the right way and tried to be courteous, but it would have been quicker and less confusing for everyone if I'd just carried on with my right of way.
No no no no no, don’t you dare turn into a Fanny poodle.

A situation is occurring in front that a tiny change in your action can provide overall smooth sailing.

The instant you assume that you trump all else you turn into a Fanny Poodle.
Then comes Wazzock.
Soon to be followed by Twatsock.

Before you know it, you’re in a parade shouting at someone for drinking the wrong kind of milk.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:13 pm
Gavster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:41 pm

No no no no no, don’t you dare turn into a Fanny poodle.

A situation is occurring in front that a tiny change in your action can provide overall smooth sailing.

The instant you assume that you trump all else you turn into a Fanny Poodle.
Then comes Wazzock.
Soon to be followed by Twatsock.

Before you know it, you’re in a parade shouting at someone for drinking the wrong kind of milk.

Dave!
Gav is correct though - as is the cyclist. The junction requires the drivers in both cases to give way, and they failed to do so. Ergo they are in the wrong.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:41 pm Given the massive rise in segregated cycle lanes that feature these kinds of priorities on side roads, there needs to be a lot more education for drivers about how to deal with these junctions and rights of ways, especially in cities.
It's this for me. In both of those Greg_N twitter vids the junction design (limited by available space of course) requires vehicles to negotiate a give-way line 5m (estimate) after turning off of one road and onto another. I'm not going to suggest this has never been seen before, but it's certainly far from the norm, and by design it requires long vehicles to completely block the carriageways they have just attempted to exit whilst they wait at the Give Way.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It's very similar indeed to Amsterdam, where you often also have a tram line down the middle. It just takes a moment's thought to realise cars and trucks are not special and have no priority over others. Maybe a larger number of cyclists means drivers don't get complacent.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

In general, London drivers are far more courteous and aware of cyclists than they are in the provinces.