It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by Jobbo »

Do people on other social media demonstrate how unhinged and unthinking they are as much as on Twitter? Yes, yes, I know I've been here for 23 years or so :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Infrastructure seems to allow <1.5m passing distance if cyclists are out towards the right of the cycle lane.

Nob Move #1 : Bus driver. Why overtake cyclist in hi-vis and immediately indicate to pull in, and start squeezing said cyclist?

Nob Move #2 : Camera cyclist. Why go down this inside of the bus when it's clearly ahead of you, and is indicating to pull in, and can't reach the stop without pulling in? I think may have been just to get in front of the bus driver to excitedly point at his helmet-cam?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:45 am Infrastructure seems to allow <1.5m passing distance if cyclists are out towards the right of the cycle lane.
Video won't play for me, but if the infrastructure (I don't think a white line is infrastructure, FWIW) allows two lanes next to each other then logically two vehicles can travel alongside each other. But if the bus has to pull out of its lane to overtake the cyclist it should still allow the 1.5m clearance.

ETA: won't play while embedded but plays on Twitter. Do you really think pulling alongside then indicating left gives the bus any priority over the cyclists? It should have stayed behind them, fairly obviously. Imagine if you did that in the right hand lane of a normal dual carriageway :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Is it really a passing distance of 1.5M for a cyclist ?

So measured from the tip of the bar ?

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:11 am Do you really think pulling alongside then indicating left gives the bus any priority over the cyclists? It should have stayed behind them, fairly obviously. Imagine if you did that in the right hand lane of a normal dual carriageway :lol:
See "Nob Move #1". No I don't.

As the camera cyclist has clearly recognised that this is happening, and has sensibly and pragmatically applied their brakes in order to stay behind the bus whilst it slows and squeezes the cyclist in front, it seems rather illogical to me that they then choose to throw away those observation & self preservation skills and place themselves instead into a high-risk location by riding up the inside anyway - in a rush to join the static group of cyclists behind the other bus?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It stopped before the very end for me - now I've seen that, I don't understand why he goes down the inside of the bus. Still if he didn't do it, the bus would crush just the first cyclist instead, eh.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:18 am Is it really a passing distance of 1.5M for a cyclist ?

Dave!
Yes Dave - the Highway Code was updated in 2022 and it was in the news quite a bit. You need to give cyclists 1.5m clearance when passing.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:38 am It stopped before the very end for me - now I've seen that, I don't understand why he goes down the inside of the bus. Still if he didn't do it, the bus would crush just the first cyclist instead, eh.
Nah - I think that regardless of the actions of bike-cam, the bus driver had reluctantly accepted that his blatant attempt to crush hi-vis were ultimately unsuccessful, and he'd instead need to have another shot tomorrow.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Not defending the legality of it, but It's not surprising the bus chooses to do the "slow move over regardless" option rather than indicating and waiting for a gap when (as demonstrated) cyclists just ignore the indicators and go up the inside. I expect that scenario happens 100 times a day, and will keep on happening if there's no other way to pull the bus in.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:39 am
V8Granite wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:18 am Is it really a passing distance of 1.5M for a cyclist ?

Dave!
Yes Dave - the Highway Code was updated in 2022 and it was in the news quite a bit. You need to give cyclists 1.5m clearance when passing.
Well that’s my town shutdown in the summer 😂

It seemed to all be as normal to be fair near me but just a couple of cycle clubs try to ruin it. It’s certainly not practical through town but I suspect not much will change.

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

With that music, and with it being a bus rather than a car, does it mean they're going to need a bigger bike?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 am Do people on other social media demonstrate how unhinged and unthinking they are as much as on Twitter? Yes, yes, I know I've been here for 23 years or so :lol:
Reddit and Pistonheads are leagues above Twitter, not just for the mentally unwell, but the huge amount of people who deliberately engage in provoking for their own entertainment.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:39 am

Dave!
Timely tweet.... although since these are attached to the bike, maybe you need to give a further 1.5m passing distance from the end? :geek:

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Do cyclists need to give cars 1.5m when they're doing the passing? Driving around London doing 20 mph once in a blue moon I'm usually the one minding my own business when I get a cyclist throwing one down the inside or outside or just travelling at the same speed as me beside me...
How about not having a sig at all?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:27 pm Do cyclists need to give cars 1.5m when they're doing the passing? Driving around London doing 20 mph once in a blue moon I'm usually the one minding my own business when I get a cyclist throwing one down the inside or outside or just travelling at the same speed as me beside me...
This occurred to me last night when I had several cyclists undertaking me approaching traffic lights. They seemed fine with a foot gap…
mik

Post by mik »

No. Cos they are more vulnerable. So they can pass as close as they like to a car, but the car must then give them 1.5m space if it re-passes.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:13 pm No. Cos they are more vulnerable. So they can pass as close as they like to a car, but the car must then give them 1.5m space if it re-passes.
Cyclists probably fail to remember the tip about giving lots of space to avoid dooring. Oh, let's have an amusing video (not sarcasm - cyclists don't help themselves either):
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

When the door opens, presumably the person is then a pedestrian - so trumps the cyclist in terms of vulnerability?!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:54 pm When the door opens, presumably the person is then a pedestrian - so trumps the cyclist in terms of vulnerability?!
Tenuous - are you distinguishing between the cyclist hitting the door and the person?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:25 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:54 pm When the door opens, presumably the person is then a pedestrian - so trumps the cyclist in terms of vulnerability?!
Tenuous - are you distinguishing between the cyclist hitting the door and the person?
😂 the person is now on foot and merely holding a car door.