Payment terms

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Payment terms

Post by Gavster »

Started this big contract, which is fantastic news, however they want to pay on completion. It's a four-month piece of work, and I'm employing two freelancers for 2-3 months each to work on it :(

I told them that we only do monthly billing however they have declined and offered 20% at halfway instead.

Why is it always the biggest, most well-known organisations who screw you on terms. This is a charity too. I'll be the one needing charity by August :lol:
Broccers

Re: Payment terms

Post by Broccers »

I wouldnt expected to be paid until 30 days after completion of our jobs so build in another month ;)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:22 pm ...they have declined and offered 20% at halfway instead.
If you go for that, make sure it's 1,000,000 % nailed down what "halfway" means. This was a constant PITA in design & build when you have a difficult client who wants to argue the toss about whether half the work has been done or not.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'd be more worried about getting a clear definition of "Completion".
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:41 pm
Gavster wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:22 pm ...they have declined and offered 20% at halfway instead.
If you go for that, make sure it's 1,000,000 % nailed down what "halfway" means. This was a constant PITA in design & build when you have a difficult client who wants to argue the toss about whether half the work has been done or not.
Luckily there's an interim delivery of a report at halfway, which is what will define that milestone.

In other news, got another smaller contract today 🎉 it looks like the second half of 2022 will be rosy :)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:50 pm I'd be more worried about getting a clear definition of "Completion".
Yes... a slippery term for sure
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

What line if work is it Gav??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:13 pm What line if work is it Gav??
It's food policy/systems work. It involves communicating dietary scenarios for net zero and net positive, based on data modelling for optimised diets, and then developing a suite of UK food policy recommendations from a demand-side perspective to move change in that direction.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gavster wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm
It's food policy/systems work. It involves communicating dietary scenarios for net zero and net positive, based on data modelling for optimised diets, and then developing a suite of UK food policy recommendations from a demand-side perspective to move change in that direction.
Money for nothing then :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

You know, I know the meaning of those words individually but put together into sentences like that, I haven't a scooby. :lol:

I don't need to tell you this but get a clear definition of upfront data, assumptions and dependencies, a clear definition of what success looks like in order for them to release the other 80% and also, a clear definition of the Change Process. a slight alteration in inputs or expected outcomes will cost you in terms of time and profit margin

Good luck
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:00 pm
You know, I know the meaning of those words individually but put together into sentences like that, I haven't a scooby. :lol:

I don't need to tell you this but get a clear definition of upfront data, assumptions and dependencies, a clear definition of what success looks like in order for them to release the other 80% and also, a clear definition of the Change Process. a slight alteration in inputs or expected outcomes will cost you in terms of time and profit margin

Good luck
Thanks, there's definitely a few points in there to clarify :)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

You warn people what happens when they don’t put “contains nuts” on the label ?

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Can you increase the recommended amount of chips to be consumed in any given diet?

Thanks
Beany
Public Policy Wonk who wants Daily Mail and Express articles and interviews about him
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:24 pm Can you increase the recommended amount of chips to be consumed in any given diet?
Gav has already described to me how in America, pizza counts as one of your five a day 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Holy fucking shit, DO THAT DO THAT
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:00 pm You warn people what happens when they don’t put “contains nuts” on the label ?

Dave!
Using that example, I would be advising whether it's necessary to make a statement like "contains nuts" into a mandatory piece of food labelling information.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

My understanding of the day to day goings on to keep the world turning lessens with every day :lol:

Dave!
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Beany wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:57 pm Holy fucking shit, DO THAT DO THAT
American schools served a lot of pizza. New guidelines said that schools should serve vegetables. Pizza isn't a vegetable. The food companies who make lots of money selling pizzas spent a lot of money campaigning to get pizza tomato sauce classified as a portion of vegetables. They succeeded. Therefore pizza now counts as a portion of vegetables in American schools :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yup, that sounds about right and was exactly the joke I was making - present (or cherry pick) the data to suit the desired premise :)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A friend of mine, if I’ve remembered it right, works for a company who keeps company branding safe. So if your label is being printed elsewhere it makes sure you have the proper label and the right up to date information etc.

I just presumed stuff like that was checked when you say….”print 100,000 of these Bob, and had no idea that whole businesses were built around it.

Dave!