I did make another thing

Nefarious

I did make another thing

Post by Nefarious »

I just built this from the leftover bits from the white racecar build

I gave it a road test this afternoon and it's all kinds of awesome. Full 230bhp race engine, big JCW brakes, JCW suspension kit, Miltek exhaust, lower strut brace, and lashings of CF everywhere (not my doing!).
Thanks to the upright driving position and weighty, pointy steering, it kinda reminds me of a classic mini, but on steroids!

This one turned into a slightly bigger project that I'd anticipated - mostly because I'd forgotten how much more crap there is on a road car than a racecar. Air-con, in particular, is a pain in the bum to retro-fit, and using cable ties to fit trim is generally considered less acceptable ;)

It's all MOT'd and road legal now, but there will still be a few jobs - I've got a fatter Whiteline rear ARB in hand to throw on, and I'll give it a full geo - I just need its new owner to have a bit of a play with it first to tell me how lairy I can make the handling without putting him through a hedge (the racecars are set up to be *very* pointy and *very* tail-happy, but I think a degree of compromise might be a good idea for the road)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: I did make another thing

Post by Jobbo »

Since BMW seemed to make the new MINI much more immune to rust, they last a lot better than the originals. I'm really enjoying 'mine', despite it having half the power and an auto box. Actually, because of that to a certain extent; there's no torque steer and like my old MX5 you can drive it at full throttle without risking your licence too much.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

New owner? Has this answered the "what weekend car for £5k" question?

Karl Marx registration :shock:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The stance on that is just about perfect.
An absolute unit
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:13 pm New owner? Has this answered the "what weekend car for £5k" question?
It's for the manager/landlord bloke at my workshop.

He's super excited, but doesn't have loads of experience with quick cars. On the up side, it means he's easy to impress, but I do also need it to be quite 'friendly'.

And yeah, it does make a pretty good case for itself - spare set if wheels and a quick geo change and it's a great trackday toy.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
mik

Post by mik »

Those wheels suit it really well. Awesome way to utilise the parts you had to swap out on RaceCar2. 8-)