Cheap Gaming Desktop

Beany

Re: Cheap Gaming Desktop

Post by Beany »

Anything FTTC is still twisted pair for the last stretch - Fiber To The Cabinet (then no further...). That includes any VDSL, and G.Fast.

Anything FTTP is a fibre right through the wall of your house to a media converter, which changes it to CAT5.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Beany wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:39 am Worth it.

For reference, the guts of the 5600 system were £400

My system was....er...a bit more. The decent chassis and AM5 mobo were a major part of that. Total cost was knocking on £900, and that doesn't even include a chunky GPU, but I intend to stuck a Ryzen 9000 or something in here in a few years time and get a bit more value out of it, so I figure better that, than an AM4 system that won't get any new CPUs on it now.
Doesn't sound too bad price wise. My "main" computer's principal innards are circa 2015 now (Core i5 4460 on a Intel Z97 motherboard). It's been through 2 changes of graphics cards since (currently on a radeon 5600) so I might re-build but try and save some cash temporarily by keeping the graphics card and swapping that in future...
Beany

Post by Beany »

There are now cheaper mobos out there, so it's not as painful to buy now - closer to £100 than £200 at least.

I'm finding a 7600 to be far more than I need - I'm not doing huge amounts of multicore stuff so six cores/twelve threads at over 5ghz is plenty for me.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I'm probably too out of the game to know what is good so I will cherry pick from a buying guide otherwise I'll worry I'll have chosen incompatible components.
I see a Ryzen 5 5600 is only £130 but maybe if my replacement cycle is 8 years it is worth going higher for another hundred or so.
I have an old Coolermaster B700 but PSUs don't seem that expensive so it is probably worth swapping out.