Running

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Running

Post by Gavster »

Project 5k 2023 continued today with Victoria Park 5k. My aim is to get as close to, or beat my PB by the end of the year. I set my PB nearly 10 years ago, when I was 36, so human physiology and ageing suggest I have little chance of beating it. However, that was on a hilly course during marathon training, so I could have gone a fair bit quicker with targeted 5K training and a fast, flat course.

Giving a whole year over to 5K training means I can end the year happy knowing I've given this distance my best shot. My target is a fast 5k event in Autumn/Winter.

Today's race was a pacing exercise, I wanted to do a big negative split and see how different paces felt because I've not done any speed work for a couple of years. I started around 90 seconds slower per mile than my target race pace, then speeded up by at least 30 seconds per mile at each new mile. First two miles felt good, but the third mile was tough, at 10 seconds slower than PB pace.

Gonna give myself a two-week rest now, and make sure my legs are super fresh to start speedwork in April 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Adding to this thread as a log of my year's running :)

It's been two full months of maximum aerobic function training (Keeping training HR at <135bpm) so did another pace test of 3 miles at up to 135bpm. Saw another big jump in pace, so it's definitely working. They recommend at least 3-6+ months to build this baseline, some people do an entire year, so there could be more decent improvements to come.

January baseline
9.19min/mile @135bpm avg

February
8.52min/mile @ 134bpm avg

March
8.28min/mile @135bpm avg
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That'll be motivating! I've slacked off completely this last month or so. Rubbish weather and before-I-go chaos at work has robbed me of all urge and backbone. Will start running again and doing core strength/flexibility stuff.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

The motivation seems to be cumulative, the more I run, the more the desire to run increases. The less I run, the less I want to do it
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We're very different :D

I really don't like running. I do it because it is the quickest way to get some exercise that fits into the daily routine.
---
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Fcuking injured 🤬

Did a long run (9 mile) two weeks ago, felt a little adductor twinge during, but nothing above 2/10 on the pain scale, however it's felt uneasy since. Did literally my first speed session of the year on Tuesday and got a stronger twinge, heading for a 3-4 out of 10.

Time for some rest and rehab... again 😡
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

You'll do much better and get fitter faster if you stop breaking. Have you tried that?
---
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:28 pm You'll do much better and get fitter faster if you stop breaking. Have you tried that?
As in not have breaks from running? To be honest, I only usually have a break when I'm injured. Last year was the exception, I just got so bored of running injuries that I quit altogether and began lifting. Was reading last night and gonna try building more cross-training into my schedule as an injury prevention tactic.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Was a tongue in cheek comment on you being injured again. As in have you tried not being injured? Was just definitely not intended to be taken seriously.
---
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:42 am Was a tongue in cheek comment on you being injured again. As in have you tried not being injured? Was just definitely not intended to be taken seriously.
:lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Gavster wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:03 pm The motivation seems to be cumulative, the more I run, the more the desire to run increases. The less I run, the less I want to do it
Great progress. I need to get to this 'the more I run' point. To start running once, having not done it for years, is, you could say, step 1.
Left over crest; tightens.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Damn, time flies! Not injured this time, but I am now tapering for London Triathlon on Sunday, where I'm doing the sprint distance.

It's been a real journey over the last few months. First off, trying to fit a full tri training schedule into my working week basically destroyed me. So I completely rowed back on that :lol:. I'm not sure how people who do full-on training schedules are able to function at work :shock:

Swimming has been a massive learning curve. I couldn't actually swim 750m in April, and now I can smash that out in the pool easily. Also overcame some serious issues with motion sickness in open water.

Which basically means I feel totally ready for the race. I'm a long way from 'peak' performance, but that doesn't really matter, I'll just be happy if I get round without blowing up :)
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I’ve slacked off a fair bit. I’m now only running twice (sometimes three times) a week and an hour of 5 a side. Still averaging 12k steps a day. I seem to have knocked off 15secs per mile though.

Weekends have been too busy having a good time to fit any exercise into them, I could find the time for a couple of 5Ks though if I really wanted to though so I’m committing to that.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

That's still pretty decent doing 2 or so a week plus the 12k steps probably helps with your baseline endurance too. Walking is surprisingly good for us :D
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Absolutely smashed the London Triathlon today, I was enjoying it so much I did an extra kilometre on the run :lol: As a first (sprint) triathlon it was a massive learning curve and great fun.

Swim: Mass start, getting kicked and hit, plus people seem to just appear in front of you, out of nowhere. Quite choppy, hard to find a rhythm, tried to go too fast, had trouble with my breathing. Nonetheless, it was a massive win, because open water swimming has been my nemesis, so smashing out 750m non-stop is a biggie.

Cycle: This was great fun. Closed roads, loads of space, lots of competitors and a fast course. Had invested in a TT bike with aero position which really helped into the headwinds.

Run: Amazing. I hit this strong and steady, holding a fast pace all the way through. Completely missed the sprint-distance turning point and thought the course was too long until I got to the middle/olympic turn point.

Waiting for final times and positions to be confirmed, but overall, did mighty fine performance given the level of training I've been doing.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

👏👏 well done. Sounds like you've done great.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That sounds like you've had a grand day out!
---
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Overcome your nemesis to such an extent you fcked it off an extra km :D 8-)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

3rd in age group and 38th overall out of around 370 (if adjusted to remove the extra km lol) very chuffed with that
Last edited by Gavster on Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I told you you'd do well 8-)