Running

Beany

Re: Running

Post by Beany »

Probably a relevant thread - overdoing the exercise, apparently can make you feel a bit sick :lol:

Did 2.6km in 25 mins, at high resistance mostly, arms were burning so I toned it down a bit.

Now feeling nauseous and a bit sore :lol:

Me joints are fine though, unlike after walking up the hill, so that's useful to know...
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Beany wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:10 pm Probably a relevant thread - overdoing the exercise, apparently can make you feel a bit sick :lol:

Did 2.6km in 25 mins, at high resistance mostly, arms were burning so I toned it down a bit.

Now feeling nauseous and a bit sore :lol:

Me joints are fine though, unlike after walking up the hill, so that's useful to know...
:shock: sounds like a tough session!

Have you got a way of tracking your heart rate? It's quite common for people starting out on exercise to work too hard, feel some horrid effects like you mention :lol: which subconsciously puts them off having another go. There's no need to beat yourself up with the machine, the majority of my aerobic workouts are under 138bpm, which is low enough to still have a conversation while working out - it's a good place to be.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I peaked at about 160-170, the tracking in fitbit isn't that detailed for those of us who refuse to sign up for the pro version :lol:

I had a quieter session last night, peaked at about 140bpm and didn't overdo it, still felt like I'd put some effort in but without the feeling sick afterwards.

It's certainly easier to not make excuses for - it was pissing rain and windy last night, if I was 'going for walks' etc I'd have fucked it off - instead I just wanted a video on the phone that lasted 30 mins and pulled away to that. Did 3.5km last night as opposed to the harder 2.5km on Monday, but TBH i'm just doing it to 'however long a video I want to watch is' - 20-30 mins seems fine.

Pretty sure I can keep that up, and while it might not have a drastic effect, it's better than the 'zero exercise' I currently get. I'm not counting calories or anything, just generally trying to build up some stamina and a bit more general strength - IE I'd like to be able to do non-cheat sit ups at some point ;)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Good to hear you got back on it!
Beany

Post by Beany »

The biggest challenge is finding something 20-30 minutes long to watch on Youtube, honestly. :lol:
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Beany wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:33 pm I just wanted a video on the phone that lasted 30 mins and pulled away to that.
:o
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I have no running goals for this year, just keep with my normal routine as it works for me. I do always time/track my runs but I don’t beat myself up if some days I’m a bit slower than others.

I had the popular flu-like bug over Christmas and although I don’t feel ill anymore exercise is still tougher than it was previously, to the point where I have to walk for 30secs a couple of times during a run. But my fitness is coming back, 100% by the end of Feb I think.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Christmas bug was a real fecker. Was just back to doing my 5k run on Sunday which was a struggle in itself (normally I do 8k). Come Tuesday and I’m dead and coughing after 2k :roll:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Delphi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:27 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:33 pm I just wanted a video on the phone that lasted 30 mins and pulled away to that.
:o
You're welcome :)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

RunThrough offered a free place in their Olympic Park 5k on Weds and I couldn't say no! Since early December I've been fighting off a mild injury in my left adductor (caused by a bad desk seating position last summer) which was nearly better, so ran a very alternative strategy to protect it. I did negative splits for the race, starting slow and then increasing the pace by 1+min/mile each mile, until the last 0.1mile when it was a full-on sprint! Good fun :)

Next race is Victoria Park 5k on Sunday 19th March, going to build some stamina and a little bit of speed over the next 9 weeks 🏃
240PP

Post by 240PP »

Sounds good. I’ll try a few 5k/10k this year. I’ve never been that arsed about ‘competing’ but it will be good to see where I’m at.

I’ve just joined a 5 a side group and we had our first game last night. That was pretty brutal! A very different kind of fitness required to jogging at the same pace for an extended period.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Question for expert runners:

My hamstrings are always awful after a long run. No matter what stretching I put them through. Any warm up / cool down advice?

More grossly: Running >10k more than a couple of times a week cheesegraters my nipples. I have tried various different tops and it always happens. Sticking plasters either fall off or are so sticky they hurt like hell coming off.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:14 pm More grossly: Running >10k more than a couple of times a week cheesegraters my nipples. I have tried various different tops and it always happens. Sticking plasters either fall off or are so sticky they hurt like hell coming off.
Go topless?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:14 pm Question for expert runners:

My hamstrings are always awful after a long run. No matter what stretching I put them through. Any warm up / cool down advice?

More grossly: Running >10k more than a couple of times a week cheesegraters my nipples. I have tried various different tops and it always happens. Sticking plasters either fall off or are so sticky they hurt like hell coming off.
Are you be doing anything else that could be making your hamstring tight, such as lots of cycling? Otherwise I'm not sure, although I suspect that something outside of running might be causing it, then it only shows up through running. I do a basic warmup routine which involves leg swings forwards and backwards, then side to side, then some dynamic calf stretches.

When it comes to cheesegrating, I only suffered that with rough tees on a couple of occasions. Does it still happen if you wear a skin-tight base layer? Otherwise, gaffer tape :lol:. There are some silky-smooth performance tees available these days, which might help.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

This is a very informative and convincing video about the benefits of low heart rate training to build aerobic fitness - specifically the MAF method. The basic premise is running at a max HR of 180bpm minus your age. E.g. in my case 180-45=135pm max, with a lower limit 10bpm below that, so a range of 125-135bpm. This aims to adapt your body to using fat as an energy source, while also helping to stay injury and exhaustion free. After a few months of building a base, you can add in some speedwork, however it should remain a low percentage of total training volume, around 10-20% max.

Over the next 2-3 months I want to slowly build my mileage up with no real speedwork, so am going to give it a try. If I'm still running injury-free, in 6-12 months, then it's worked. Watch this space 😂

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I feel like my pace at that heart rate would be a slow jog and I would just get nowhere 😂
Usually my heart rate averages 170 on a run.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:12 pm I feel like my pace at that heart rate would be a slow jog and I would just get nowhere 😂
Usually my heart rate averages 170 on a run.
You can get away with it if you only run occasionally. If you were running 6 days a week, you’d get injured quickly running at that pace! Even Eliud kipchoge who can run a marathon in 2 hours runs his slowest runs down to 9min/mile which is 30 min 5k pace
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It's been one month since I started MAF training to build my aerobic base, which means keeping my heart rate under 135bpm for 90% of my training volume. The runs feel easy and I'm not getting tired or exhausted, which is awesome.

Each month I do a test which comprises a warmup followed by 3 miles at 125-135bpm. The average pace over that 3 miles should speed up as my training volume increases. January was 9:19min/mile, today was 8:52min/mile, which is a very significant improvement. Mileage has gone from 10 miles/week to 15 miles/week over that period.

Next test in mid-March, when I'll be on 20 miles/week. I'm excited to see what pace it comes down to!
240PP

Post by 240PP »

That’s good going. I’m about 9:20 on a good day.

How are you keeping the heart rate at 135 during the run? Is it an alert on your watch if it goes over? I’ve just been out and peaked at 162.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It's via a custom workout in Garmin Connect, where you can programme different criteria for a run. In this case I've got a 12 min warmup, then it gives me a warning if my HR goes outside of 125-135 during a 3 mile section. Then I get another 12 min warm down period.

The low intensity stuff feels really good, and nice to see some measurable improvements through it.

ETA: with this HR strap for improved accuracy over wrist-measured HR https://amzn.eu/d/61EREoG