The 4 Hoof Fleet

Mito Man

The 4 Hoof Fleet

Post by Mito Man »

The fleet has expanded into a small herd

The 2 elder goats are acting like baby sitters and keeping an eye on them which is good.

All hell breaks loose when they’re inside though, current record for kid throwing seems to be about 2.5 metres with a somersault but they’re pretty resilient.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Re: The 4 Hoof Fleet

Post by nuttinnew »

8-)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What a handsome bunch! What make are they?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Very cool Mito - you're developing a proper little homestead there...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

These are Golden Guernseys. They are all wethers which I pick up from a smallholder who would otherwise sell them for meat. I needed something to cheer me up a few years ago and got chatting to the smallholder when buying some eggs off her and one thing led to another :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:09 pm These are Golden Guernseys. They are all wethers which I pick up from a smallholder who would otherwise sell them for meat. I needed something to cheer me up a few years ago and got chatting to the smallholder when buying some eggs off her and one thing led to another :lol:
Brilliant work Mito.

I've decided I want some goats for the croft, so am off to google Golden Guernseys!
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’re a really good breed - both in terms of milk production/cheese making which is why the smallholder has them and they have a very calm temperament.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:09 pm These are Golden Guernseys. They are all wethers which I pick up from a smallholder who would otherwise sell them for meat. I needed something to cheer me up a few years ago and got chatting to the smallholder when buying some eggs off her and one thing led to another :lol:
n ice try mito, we know goats don’t come from eggs…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:39 pm
n ice try mito, we know goats don’t come from eggs…
They're a mammal, so technically they do start as an egg...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Very very cool 😎

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

This is all very well and good but we need a 30-70 time and a cold start video.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:!:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Wow that year went by quickly, time for an update it is!

This is Tank, he’s one of the original boys with the other one (Cookie) standing behind him.
Tank is an absolute unit of a goat - 80kg and over 2 metres tall when he’s standing on his hind legs. He’s the herd leader and the practical joker of the group. His personality is similar to a big dog. He just wants to be scratched and play by headbutting.
Here is a video of tank playing one of his jokes on Cookie.

Moving on to Cookie:
Head of security and longest beard - he never sleeps at night and stands outside looking for predators. I’ve told him there’s no lions or cougars here but he won’t believe me. He enforces the field boundaries and usually runs to the house to warn about a goat escape. Unless he escapes himself.
Some people get their adrenaline high from skydiving or free solo climbing - I get mine when I cut his hooves.

Now for the kids:
This is Floppy, he’s the definition of living la dolce vita. All he does is eat and sunbathe. He’s the trouble maker of the group as he’s always escaping and goats being herd animals end up following each other. He settled in well and is really friendly.

And William (centre):
I don’t have many pictures of William as he’s the most skittish goat. It was only this year that he started approaching me and letting me pet him but he had a traumatic upbringing so we go at whatever pace he wants.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I love goats. I don't think I saw this thread when you posted it last year.

Unexpectedly we had a 4-hoof visitor in the garden just after 6am yesterday, sadly not as much fun as your herd:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

This is an excuse to get a Turkish Kangal dog 😎

Dave!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Very cool and they look lovely, although I thought goats were complete and utter lunatics and a total liability? :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sheep are utter lunatics, goats are their intelligent cousins. The only thing with these goats is that I've seen them jump over 1.8 metres and they can climb stock fencing like a ladder so the fencing is entirely at their discretion to respect. They will go for a browse around if they know that no one is looking but they always return for their evening meal.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

8-) :D
It's great hearing about their personalities, and how they and you are getting on 8-)

Jobbo; a nice visitor to have 8-)
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:53 pm Sheep are utter lunatics, goats are their intelligent cousins. The only thing with these goats is that I've seen them jump over 1.8 metres and they can climb stock fencing like a ladder so the fencing is entirely at their discretion to respect. They will go for a browse around if they know that no one is looking but they always return for their evening meal.
TBH they sound like a bunch of teenagers :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:08 pm Found a use for the old plasma :lol:

Sometimes my genius is so great that I scare myself.
Moved for accuracy.