WiFi extender outlets

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

WiFi extender outlets

Post by Gavster »

Has anyone tried these or know if they work? My Wifi doesn't reach the loo or garden, which is a pretty poor state of affairs, so a few of these around the house could be an awesome solution.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-ga ... erts/962kj
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: WiFi extender outlets

Post by Matty »

My brother in law had some - not sure if they were these exact models, but very similar - they're not great TBH.

Ended up replacing them with Powerline adaptors.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mesh wifi seems the better way of extending your wifi.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Thanks guys - looks like a simple mesh system would be similar cost to a handful of these sockets and would provide better coverage, so I'll go that route :0
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Depending on what you're looking to spend I can recommend Amplifi. Stable, easy to set up and managed via an app on the phone.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The design goes totally against what you really want to be doing to broadcast a decent Wi-Fi signal. I’d get an eero or other mesh system instead. Neat idea though.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I got 3 of the BT Mini extenders - did the job for me but to be honest, I didn't have massive issues in first place - No Thick Walls or long range extension needed etc. I just need to navigate around a couple of interference black spots to get a decent signal to the Sky Box and upstairs, to my Son's room.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:59 am Depending on what you're looking to spend I can recommend Amplifi. Stable, easy to set up and managed via an app on the phone.
I assume you added a Mesh point or two? Otherwise it's not much of a 'mesh'? Many amazon reviews say they just got the hub and that did the job for them.

I'm currently using Devolo wired LAN power line adapters (for TV/CHromecast downstairs, and for laptop/printer/pi upstairs) and a couple of wifi extenders. I have trouble moving my phone around the house (e.g. answering a WhatsApp call then going in a different room) which is a bit odd. But in one place I always seem to have decent wifi.
Left over crest; tightens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Got an iPhone Jon ??

Sky Engineer mentioned something about the fact Apple Products won't move hub to hub as you move around the house - something about fixed IP address or some such.
Last edited by dinny_g on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@JonMad: I bought a kit with two extenders in addition to the hub. Tried a variety of other extenders/mesh systems before (including some Devolo ones that used powerline functionality for backhaul), but in terms of ease of use and setup and stability the Amplifi kit is leagues better. The software is miles ahead, especially compared to the Devolo kit.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I have owned this guy for circa 4 years now. It was over £400 at the time, a bargain at £320.

Out house isn't huge, just over 2000 sq ft, but it was built early 70s so quite a few solid thick walls. There are getting on for 50 devices, laptops, tbs, watches, phones, smart kitchen etc and the Amplifi seems to cope well.

Little things such as guest mode means you don't have to hand out the wifi password to inlaws are useful, the ability to group devices and priotise traffic is also a godsend. The kids YouTube is not more important than my zoom calls :lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Thanks both for the recommendation. I have about 6 Devolo devices so need to get my head over sunk costs before taking the leap.
Left over crest; tightens.