New laws about mobile use in cars from 25Mar22

mik

Re: New laws about mobile use in cars from 25Mar22

Post by mik »

Unless my brain has melted, this seems to conflict with the interpretation of the maker of the vid I posted.

I prefer @Jobbo ’s assessment, so will go with that. 🥸
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:34 am I use “car scanner” app (like the Torque app) to monitor various parameters on the car when I am moving.

Real PITA if that is no longer allowed, despite the phone being in a Brodit holder/charger.

And like @Simon , I don’t see the difference between using a phone in a cradle - which is right beside my head unit - and using the touch screen on my head unit. :?
Reviewing the original regs and this SI it specifically allows to show 'car data' on a screen.

I agree with @Jobbo that this won't change cradle use as long as it doesn't affect your driving. It's just changed the regs to cast a wider net to catch everyone who holds their phone whilst driving, except for contactless payments when stationary (drive-thru's, toll roads etc) and emergency call use.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

If that’s all it is then I’m good (and fully supportive)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:05 am Unless my brain has melted, this seems to conflict with the interpretation of the maker of the vid I posted.

I prefer @Jobbo ’s assessment, so will go with that. 🥸
Black Belt Barrister annoys me massively - more into clickbait than legal detail.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Excuse to upgrade the HU in the L200 to one with DAB and put the JVC android auto unit without DAB into my wife's van.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Doesn't directly affect me much. My phone is a Nokia 3210 (design classic) and I don't take it out in the car for weight saving reasons! ;)
Beany

Post by Beany »

PaulJ wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:09 pm Doesn't directly affect me much. My phone is a Nokia 3210 (design classic) and I don't take it out in the car for weight saving reasons! ;)
That, and if someone rear ended you and it was in the centre console, it'd fly through your engine and destroy the two cars ahead of you.