Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Beany

Re: Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by Beany »

I'm officially the team leader for the infrastructure team, now that our previous has retired as of Friday.

No pressure then :lol:

I've got lots of support internally from my team and the management team so I'm pretty happy with this so far.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:11 pm I'm officially the team leader for the infrastructure team, now that our previous has retired as of Friday.

No pressure then :lol:

I've got lots of support internally from my team and the management team so I'm pretty happy with this so far.
Isn't it nice to be in a business that values your skills as well as giving you the freedom and support you need to be successful. Well done and good luck.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Congrats on the promotion 🥳 🎉
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I hope there is a progression plan in place for when they will update your package to align with the new role or did they factor this into the original contract?

I should add congratulations as it's obviously a good thing to achieve so quickly, but I don't want to see advantage taken again. Best to make sure you set the rules from the get go.
Last edited by drcarlos on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Well done :)
Beany

Post by Beany »

This was all factored in, so it's fine.

It was more a case of being sure I was comfortable with it now that the old senior has left, which I am - everyones been awesome.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:13 pm This was all factored in, so it's fine.

It was more a case of being sure I was comfortable with it now that the old senior has left, which I am - everyones been awesome.
Excellent then. You sound like you are now in charge of your destiny (well as far as we all can be) and not someone else, keep it that way and hopefully the old scenario won't reoccur.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I got some gossip from OldWork today - suffice to say I had a better day than most of them, as the CEO came back from his time away, and basically tore everyones head off about their outage (the one I've occasionally chipped into at arms length, and which they've done a good job of dealing with given I wasn't there to co-ordinate the tech side)

Suffice to say my recommendation was either to perform some level of Companies House level coup and kick him out on his ear for the absolute abuse he doles out - or just find a new job and let the company fall apart.

Now literally not my circus/monkeys - I have my own big top to look after these days.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:37 pm I got some gossip from OldWork today - suffice to say I had a better day than most of them, as the CEO came back from his time away, and basically tore everyones head off about their outage (the one I've occasionally chipped into at arms length, and which they've done a good job of dealing with given I wasn't there to co-ordinate the tech side)

Suffice to say my recommendation was either to perform some level of Companies House level coup and kick him out on his ear for the absolute abuse he doles out - or just find a new job and let the company fall apart.

Now literally not my circus/monkeys - I have my own big top to look after these days.
That's not how you deal with people that get you out of the shit. I was one of the 400 (in the initial 100 or so that got a lot of the basics up and running for the rest to restore the apps) in Maidenhead after this:

https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cy ... the-world/

We were described as heroes and rewarded well for our efforts. There's only a few of the 400 left now 5 years on as most could rightly leverage the experience to enhance their careers, tellingly though the attrition in the engineering and architecture roles was low for quite sometime as we were revered somewhat and they left later as they were poached by other orgs looking to grab some of that knowledge and lived experience.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, you know that, and I know that.

He doesn't.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

CEO asked me today to teach someone else how to program the company web-based database. It took a couple of years for me to learn all the techniques involved, six months to build and a dozen years to perfect. I finish on Friday and am scheduled to be in the office for 1.5 days this week. The person has no programming knowledge, ability or skills.
Beany

Post by Beany »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:15 pm CEO asked me today to teach someone else how to program the company web-based database. It took a couple of years for me to learn all the techniques involved, six months to build and a dozen years to perfect. I finish on Friday and am scheduled to be in the office for 1.5 days this week. The person has no programming knowledge, ability or skills.
Ah, that sounds so.....familiar :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:15 pm CEO asked me today to teach someone else how to program the company web-based database. It took a couple of years for me to learn all the techniques involved, six months to build and a dozen years to perfect. I finish on Friday and am scheduled to be in the office for 1.5 days this week. The person has no programming knowledge, ability or skills.
don't whine about it online, sort the problem. If your CEO is a dick, get a better one.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:04 pm
don't whine about it online, sort the problem. If your CEO is a dick, get a better one.
I think that's already in hand.
Beany

Post by Beany »

He's doing a Beany 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Come on Beany, you're flagging !

Rich said get a better dick.

I said it's in hand.

Can someone else do the requote please ?
Beany

Post by Beany »

That's a lot of hard work, I'll leave it to someone actually funny :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

I was awoken by a text from one of the company co-owners on thursday morning, at 0558. DR situation with Azure East Europe SQL. By the time I'd got the laptop on and teams running the infrastructure manager was already on it, so I spent a couple of hours making sure our customers (major airlines) data feeds were still operational, and re-running a couple of jobs that had got stuck after we'd failed over the servers to Western Europe. Nothing too taxing really. Our DR process is fucking awesome.

Anyway a bottle of Aviation Gin turned up Sunday along with a note from the boss saying thanks. I've had amazon vouchers and chocolates and allsorts for little bits of above and beyond help. It's nice when you find yourself working with and for people like that.

I hope your new place are simialr Beany, you deseve it mate.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Often tempted by Mr. Reynolds gin. Is it any good?
tim

Post by tim »

Yes, it's really nice!