Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Gwaredd

Re: Drugs, (and absurd job updates)

Post by Gwaredd »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:13 pm and over 35yrs the mortgage would cost as much as the rent on a month by month basis...
But with the added bonus that you'll own property worth much much more than you paid for it. Renting property is the equivalent of leasing an EV.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I’m guessing the deposit is the barrier here. Might be worth having a word with the landlord, maybe something could be arranged.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:54 pm Renting property is the equivalent of leasing an EV.
how?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Gwaredd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:54 pm Renting property is the equivalent of leasing an EV.
how?
In the same way that you have nothing to show for it at the end. You walk away with nothing.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:12 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:10 pm
how?
In the same way that you have nothing to show for it at the end. You walk away with nothing.
why an EV specifically in your analogy though? You could be walking away with an overall cost of ownership that’s less than an ICE.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, basically, if this place is worth about £160k so I'd need a £16k deposit and I'm paid well, but not 'save £16k in a year' well, and that's assuming he wants to let it stretch out that long.

That, and with current interest rates (3.5% broadly and likely to rise) it's not as cheap to get a mortgage as it once was - for the above, quick and dirty mortgage calculators had the mortgage be the same as my rent over 35 years (which is realistic as I'm 40)

I might be better served moving closer to Hull (cheapy cheap, closer to brother) and saving up for a few years there, then revisiting the mortgage thing.

I'm (genuinely) not fussed about property ownership, but if it becomes feasible then now that I have a better income, I'm not as averse to it as I once was :lol:
Edit: re something being arranged, I'm sure if he wanted to resell as as a tenancy continuation he could but I think he wants to do it the simplest way possible, which wouldn't be that :lol:
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:14 pm
Gwaredd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:12 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:10 pm how?
why an EV specifically in your analogy though? You could be walking away with an overall cost of ownership that’s less than an ICE.
Err, it was a pun based on our tag line. You've read too much into it :lol:
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If the Landlord will give you a genuine discount off the market value there are lenders who will class that as a deposit. There are lots of variables when it comes to buying a house but it's worth considering that as saving is not easy.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, but this place ain't all that - it's small, cold in winter and is 160 years old, with slightly shaky drains and an old roof etc.

I literally only stay here because I couldn't afford to move, not even to somewhere cheaper :lol:

Currently looking at Hull, seems pretty reasonably priced for rental and a decent amount of places with offstreet parking/garages which is relevant to my interests (I'm fucking sick of working on the car on the street) so that's my main train of thought at the moment.

Quite a few places with something called OpenRent which seems to be a sort of private landlords online agency, no stupid fucking fees (ooh, we'll need a weeks rent as a deposit so you can view the place, etc) so that's also quite interesting.

Lots to look at.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 pm Ultimately I'd like to be in the position where if the landlord calls up, and says 'I'm in the area, can I pop in sometime this week' I can say 'sure, what you doing Tuesday?' and not be remotely phased by it.

Which might sound absurd, but it should, hypothetically be relatively easy to achieve
Don't be too hard on yourself Beany - literally ever Landlord visit I had when renting involved at least 2 or 3 nights effort in getting the place clean and tidy.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

I spent a week getting it to the stage where it was passable as an abode.

That said, it means less do to to make it 'normal' now. plenty to tip run too. Why do I have two broken RC helicopters?

I'll tell you why, they were faithers, and I thought I might find someone to take them on as projects. Seven years later, I think we can safely just bin them.

plenty of shite like that.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I didn't mention this previously as I didn't think it was terribly imortant, but Old Work had a server die the Saturday morning after the landlord visit (so week and a half ago) - the last functioning server in a two machine HA array had a disk failure and dropped off the net.

In short, I have, completely idly and without trying, saved them days of downtime by idly responding to a couple of ex-colleagues gurning about the situation.

So I'm owed drinks, curries, and the phone number of the new lass who started there a couple of weeks ago :lol:

It's not all fixed yet, but the bits that need work aren't my wheelhouse (very old school GlusterFS, and API shite) so I can't help them any more, even accidentally, if I wanted to.

Not giving a toss about that place is very freeing. Besides, I'm learning enough in the new place as it is, and what I'm learning there isn't peak decade year old esotericism but actual useful, modern stuff...
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

WD Bean. I have 7 working days left at my place, hoping to only be in the office for a few of those (mostly to make use of the excellent behemoth shredder so I can digitise and get rid of 25 years of old household paperwork). Handing over to some IT outsourcing company. Hope they're going to insist on direct debit, otherwise there's little chance they'll be paid. I had to agree to help in August (my outstanding leave) if they struggle... yeah OK mate. :mrgreen:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Weirdly relevant:https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2022/jul/ana ... -new-study

I think this thread typifies the sort your situation and life out and be happier rather than take mind altering chemicals to a quick fix.

Where did I hear about the article, Andrew Lawrence comedy channel on youtube.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The problem is that the 'sort your life out' thing isn't always easy - yes, I've been undervalued and treated like shit for years, but not everyone can do that. And I'd not say I'm not depressed; I've just got a better base to work from financially which cuts out a lot of serious life problems. Being able to, for example, know that you won't be trying to make £10 stretch for a weeks food while being expected to work 24/7, for example - that's huge.

Someone going from stacking shelves at Aldi for £12/hr to Lid for £13/hr isn't going to see the same uplift or change in circumstances however :lol:

I'd suggest that if something like Universal Basic Income were introduced tomorrow (as an easy hypothetical example), in about two years rates of depression would drop rapidly.

No, money can't buy you happiness - but it can easily undercut a lot of things that cause huge amounts of stress and anxiety, which go hand in hand with depression.

Edit: I've always been skeptical of 'anti-depressants' only treatments - you need antidepressants and decent therapy, and how much use the anti-depressants are has always been debatable.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Money not buying happiness is only true once your baseline needs are covered. The absence of sufficient money to pay for housing and healthy food is one of the most fundamentally stressful and depressing situations to be in.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Give up depressing things like alcohol and drugs, do exercise which is free and your food budget improves and so does you mh. You will also have more energy to cook and eat properly. It's really not that bad to pick up a food parcel if you really are down on cash.
tim

Post by tim »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:48 pm In short, I have, completely idly and without trying, saved them days of downtime by idly responding to a couple of ex-colleagues gurning about the situation.
AKA, working for free. Beanster, stop that shit right now!

"Yes I can help you, my fee is £xxxxx."
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

tim wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:45 am
Beany wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:48 pm In short, I have, completely idly and without trying, saved them days of downtime by idly responding to a couple of ex-colleagues gurning about the situation.
AKA, working for free. Beanster, stop that shit right now!

"Yes I can help you, my fee is £xxxxx."
Tim is very, very correct. You can still be the good guy AND charge at the same time.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, I don't particularly care any more - I'm over the place.

I am owed beer, curry, takeaway, driveway access, etc. so I'm getting something in kind, that's fine for me for now.