P&O

Swervin_Mervin

Re: P&O

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Delphi wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:17 am
Zonda_ wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:54 pm How can they be made redundant then replaced with people doing the same job, I though contract law made that illegal?
Under EU employment law, yes. As I understand it, they've moved HQ to Cyprus which means UK employment law doesn't apply so that's another Brexit bonus.
The suggestion bandied around is that EU employment law is so shit that it essentially defers to national employment law of whichever country the company is registered in. In this case Cyprus, which enables fire and rehire.

However, it's also happened very recently in Ireland. Seems it's actually fairly common practice in ferry/maritime business.

So it really is nothing to do with Brexit.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The suggestion in a Telegraph article, which quotes SNP, Labour and Conservative MPs, is that it might all just be because Sheikh-wotshisface has beef with the UK over his divorce trial that cost him £550m and a lot of reputational damage.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

There was a vote in Westminster 6 months ago relevant to fire and hire.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58997916
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

No10 admitting they knew about it the day before. Wonder what they thought to do.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

What do you think they would be able to do in a day?
Cheers, Harry
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:43 pm There was a vote in Westminster 6 months ago relevant to fire and hire.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58997916
From the business minister: "We will legislate if we need to, but we'll do it as a last resort, not as a first resort."

This IMO is the correct way of doing things.

It's shitty immoral practices from companies like P&O that force governments down the route of legislation, they are utter wankers that shaft everyone including other businesses who will now end up under even more legislation and red tape because of some greedy pricks.

P&O ferries are owned by DP World (a Dubai based company) not Carnival Cruises (that own P&O cruises), it is pretty confusing as the same brand has multiple unconnected parent companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DP_World

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%26O_Cruises

I wonder what action Carnival will take as it brings the whole P&O brand into disrepute and people will possibly boycott the whole P&O brand thinking that are all part of the same organisation.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

DP World, yep sounds about right with the way they have shafted staff.
How about not having a sig at all?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:56 pm
From the business minister: "We will legislate if we need to, but we'll do it as a last resort, not as a first resort."

This IMO is the correct way of doing things.
I bet you a fiver I could find 800 people who disagree :D
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I saw some interviews with the agency staff they bussed in on the day, and lots were saying they hadn't even been told their new work was on a ship, let alone that they'd be wholesale replacing entire crews.
Apart from the callous underhandedness of it all, it does imply some fairly serious safety concerns.
Ok, a ferry isn't a nuclear power station, but it's still fairly safety-critical environment. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel passengering on a ferry crewed entirely with last week's All-Bar-One staff with an hour's induction training.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Noone seems to be questioning if a Union that helps out workers, supposedly, actually causes them to lose their jobs is the issue here.
mik

Post by mik »

Nefarious wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:01 am I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel passengering on a ferry crewed entirely with last week's All-Bar-One staff with an hour's induction training.
100% that. I sailed on the Herald Of Free Emterprize before it had a lie down in the harbour, and wife’s bridesmaid was on a ferry in Greece that sank - still struggles to talk about it.
mik

Post by mik »

Broccers wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:36 am Noone seems to be questioning if a Union that helps out workers, supposedly, actually causes them to lose their jobs is the issue here.
Entirely possible. The media seems to love going straight to unions to hear their opinions, but you never (?) see them challenged on their involvement.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:35 am
Broccers wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:36 am Noone seems to be questioning if a Union that helps out workers, supposedly, actually causes them to lose their jobs is the issue here.
Entirely possible. The media seems to love going straight to unions to hear their opinions, but you never (?) see them challenged on their involvement.
My usual unpopular insight Mik ;)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I am shocked that you’re anti union Broccers :lol:
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:19 am I am shocked that you’re anti union Broccers :lol:
Are you? Did the members lots of good here didnt it. I'm not shocked by the thick dragging everyone down to their level. :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sad to see such boot licking
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:08 pm Sad to see such boot licking
You guys in groups never seem to win. Shame.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Good grief this is bad

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Broccers wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:09 pm Good grief this is bad

I've just seen that. The Irish ferries being crewed by Phillipinos on similar money. Wonder how long before they go bust totally as I doubt their prices will drop in line with their reduced wage bill and people avoid them like the plague?

An advert popped up on FB earlier for P&O cruises, I checked the comments and yep, their poor social media manager is fighting a fire there, aided by some members of the public, brand though I think is destroyed.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:34 pm I've just seen that. The Irish ferries being crewed by Phillipinos on similar money. Wonder how long before they go bust totally as I doubt their prices will drop in line with their reduced wage bill and people avoid them like the plague?
Did not know that - Front of house are always Irish, Welsh or Polish.

but never ever cheap - I don't think I've travelled Holyhead to Dublin for less than £500 for car, 2 adults and a kid in years.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…