Being ripped off for fuel

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Being ripped off for fuel

Post by Jobbo »

I wasn't running on fumes last night but wanted to fill up before I got home last night. Cheltenham Festival is now on and everything gets silly busy and overpriced this week in the area.

The online local paper told me the cheapest diesel on Sunday was 154.7p at Asda, so I wanted to get close to that price. I tried my usual cheapest Asda which is on my commute (just off the motorway) but could see it was 168.9p/l for diesel as I came down the sliproad so went straight back up the on ramp. I went past a few places I never use and they were up in the high 170s and one was 181.9p/l so I began to wonder if Asda may have been worth it. But there are three (usually) cheaper filling stations I know, pretty much on my route, so I held off to see what they were charging. First two (Morrisons with an Esso next door) were around 148/149p/litre a week ago. Last night the Morrisons didn't have any prices on the sign and the Esso was over 180p/l so I assume Morrisons had run out. My last resort is usually the cheapest in the area. I headed there and their petrol price seemed relatively sensible at 161.9p/l, but diesel was 178.7p/l. Still filled up because it's independent and otherwise I'd have ended up driving round Cheltenham looking for a cheap place. Over £113 to fill and I had 100 miles of range left in the tank.

I wish I'd done a Petrol Prices search before leaving the office because there are plenty of usually expensive fuel places which are currently cheaper, it seems - I just didn't go past any of them. Annoying. Particularly annoying was the big Tesco I avoided which apparently was charging 157.9p/l yesterday :evil:
DeskJockey

Re: Being ripped off for fuel

Post by DeskJockey »

Galaxy is due a near full tank (range indication of 41 miles), I expect I'll be paying a similar amount for 62-65 litres of 95.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Not quite the same, but an interesting related topic, and I am sure there are many parallels

TL;DR - many costs aren't related to the buying price, so a 100% rise in the price of fuel shouldn't mean a 100% increase in costs to the end buyer.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:57 am Galaxy is due a near full tank (range indication of 41 miles), I expect I'll be paying a similar amount for 62-65 litres of 95.
my tired brain read that skipping loads of words! I read "galaxy" "full tank" and "range indication of 41 miles" and thought it was SJ posting!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:09 am
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:57 am Galaxy is due a near full tank (range indication of 41 miles), I expect I'll be paying a similar amount for 62-65 litres of 95.
my tired brain read that skipping loads of words! I read "galaxy" "full tank" and "range indication of 41 miles" and thought it was SJ posting!
You'll get a pass today. Can I suggest a midday nap?
---
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:51 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:09 am
You'll get a pass today. Can I suggest a midday nap?
Only if he’s eaten all his vegetables.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think the way to buy fuel at the moment is to fill up as soon as you have any space in the tank to do so. I thought prices would start to fall as the cost of a barrel of oil falls but it seems not.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Brent is the same price as 28th Feb now - anyone remember what the prices at the pumps were back then?
How about not having a sig at all?
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Supposed to be coming down next week. I paid about the same at my local indy BP last night. I just applied the same mind bleach as I use when picking up dog poo.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rather sadly, I have the receipts so I can give you a few prices for diesel:
22 Feb, 145.7p/l (the Asda which was 168.7p/l last night)
2 Mar, 149.7p/l
6 Mar, 162.9p/l
14 Mar, 178.7p/l (same place as 2 March)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So on 22 Feb Brent was 4% lower than today. The forecourts are making a killing over this.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:48 am Brent is the same price as 28th Feb now - anyone remember what the prices at the pumps were back then?
I've got a receipt from 26/02 - 139.9p/L... Costco natch.

Only problem with Costco is that it's getting to be absolute mayhem lately, but I feel like it's got even more competitive when I filled up Sunday as it was 14p/L cheaper than the other local stations. Usually it's around 10p/L cheaper.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I went to two places yesterday - the first had no sul and the second no diesel (but sul).

The prices hopefully will start to come down a bit but even so if you're doing mega miles its going to pinch.

I get 45p a mile back, its been 45p since about 2010. Tax is up and all running costs but not the payment. Yet noone moans.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Last Thursday or Friday, Cobham services on the M25 were £1.68 for diesel, £1.60 or .62 for 95, cheaper than most normal stations :?
One of the Shell stations here has been the same as or cheaper than the supermarkets, the other Shell 10p/l more :shock:
Haven't had supply issues apart from lpg, and I'd never seen that until this year.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:35 pm I went to two places yesterday - the first had no sul and the second no diesel (but sul).

The prices hopefully will start to come down a bit but even so if you're doing mega miles its going to pinch.

I get 45p a mile back, its been 45p since about 2010. Tax is up and all running costs but not the payment. Yet noone moans.
everyone moans, but it's a bit pointless moaning when you know the response will be to say "buy a more efficient car". The government aren't out to encourage you to do more miles in less efficient cars.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Local station had 95 at £1.659. For some reason the pump I was at was only pay at pump with the silly £99 limit, so had to do a second payment. £112ish later (in total) and I had a full tank.
---
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Local Tesco extra where my wife works had no diesel at their pumps when I picked her up earlier today
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:58 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:35 pm I went to two places yesterday - the first had no sul and the second no diesel (but sul).

everyone moans, but it's a bit pointless moaning when you know the response will be to say "buy a more efficient car". The government aren't out to encourage you to do more miles in less efficient cars.
Blockades and protests. Lets organise some.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:48 am Brent is the same price as 28th Feb now - anyone remember what the prices at the pumps were back then?
But aren't the pump prices reflecting the oil prices from 2 weeks previous, as it takes that long to filter through to the pump? So for pump prices on the 28/2 look at oil prices on 14/2, and for pump prices now look at oil prices on 2/3.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Simon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:22 pm
But aren't the pump prices reflecting the oil prices from 2 weeks previous, as it takes that long to filter through to the pump? So for pump prices on the 28/2 look at oil prices on 14/2, and for pump prices now look at oil prices on 2/3.
In which case the prices at the pumps should not increase twice a day at the same time crude does and should also have that delay built in.
Duncs mentioned that the price difference for Costco fuel has been getting greater than other brands recently which shows that others are price gouging more than normal as Costco have lower profit margins on all their goods due to the income they receive from memberships, so it is a good gauge for getting a more accurate feel of the true price.