Could you do it? (Not FTAO IanF)

Could you do it?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:26 am

Fuck yeah man. And you nose it!
41%
I’d like to think I could, but it might be trickier than you think?
36%
Are you mental?
9%
Me no like big metal bird
5%
I prefer an argument
9%

Total votes: 22

Marv

Re: Could you do it? (Not FTAO IanF)

Post by Marv »

Planes can autopilot land now, right?

Surely it's just the press of a button then? :lol:

If it's windy like a few weeks ago, so an autopilot landing isn't possible, then hopefully there's a doctor onboard who can revive one of the pilots...

I'd actually like to hear what IanF thinks of this pleb off the street being able to land a plane without training!
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:07 pm
I'd actually like to hear what IanF thinks of this pleb off the street being able to land a plane without training!
Pfft. He’ll just make it sound all complex n technical and even dangerous. :roll:

I should point out to at I wouldn’t be so arrogant as to think I could just sit down in the seat and land the plane - obviouslyi’d need a good 10mins getting used to how the controls feel and respond - doing a couple of barrel rolls and loops to get my hand in first.
Last edited by mik on Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:24 pm
Marv wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:07 pm
Pfft. He’ll just make it sound all complex n technical and even dangerous. :roll:
Yeah. Why would you ask someone that actually knows what they're talking about? We've had enough of experts.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:20 pm

Sebastien Vettel steps in at 20secs
For sure (unless it's Gonch without his glasses).
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Aviators on, crack a window to get a good look at the nose, half throttle, suspend drinks service and glide that puppy down like a silken kimono falling off a swedes milky thigh.

Grab hand luggage, a wink to the passengers and get collected by Monica Belucci in a Pagoda.

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

737, yes. But this tiny knobber joystick thing that Airbus has got going on. Just can’t get my head around tweaking a jet down. I wanna Man Handle it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:33 pm 737, yes. But this tiny knobber joystick thing that Airbus has got going on. Just can’t get my head around tweaking a jet down. I wanna Man Handle it.
Hello! Long time!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:55 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:33 pm 737, yes. But this tiny knobber joystick thing that Airbus has got going on. Just can’t get my head around tweaking a jet down. I wanna Man Handle it.
Hello! Long time!
That. August was your last post. Nice to hear from you SD.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Been Lurking And Working (LAW. Would like to submit entry #1 for the 2022 Forum Acronym Awards). Work has been very busy, and being honest I’ve been a bit stressed on and off so been managing my online stuff a little.

Quick catch up.

1. New car delivered in October. G20 M340i xDrive which I absolutely love. Will do a separate thread.
2. I am a little obsessed with MSFS and play it most days. Looking forward to the PMDG 737. Investing in a new system, RTX 3070, i9, 32GB. I figure the costs now are worth it for the enjoyment I get from it.
4. Golf going well, getting fitted for a set of sub70 irons. Managed to damage my new Cobra Radspeed driver within about 3 hours of having it and had to pay for a replacement head. So that was an expensive cock up on the driving range.
5. Still playing guitars, although mostly that’s to make some noise to relieve the stress of life etc.

Hope all are doing ok.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:32 pm Not only would I land it, not only would I take out the terrorists who killed the pilots, but think I would handle the whole situation rather well.

Is this not like the poll of men where 7/10 of them thought they could beat Serena Williams at tennis?
I couldn't beat Frank Williams at tennis, let alone Serena.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:15 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:32 pm Not only would I land it, not only would I take out the terrorists who killed the pilots, but think I would handle the whole situation rather well.

Is this not like the poll of men where 7/10 of them thought they could beat Serena Williams at tennis?
I couldn't beat Frank Williams at tennis, let alone Serena.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18 am
Your one and only chance? Never to be repeated?? :?

And you let it land automatically? :(

Fuck that. 8-)

“Oh autopilot keeps disengaging - I’ll have to just do this myself” 8-)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_ ... Flight_522

Tl;dr - a crew member with a commercial pilots licence couldn’t work out how to use the radios in time, let alone get enough guidance to land the aircraft.

You’re travelling at 7 nautical miles a minute with limited fuel and trying to use line of sight communications.. let’s just say it’d be challenging. But you guys are all super heroes so I’m sure you’d work it out..

Helpful hints -
1. Switch from VHF1 to VHF2: if done correctly, there’s a green light below where it says VHF2. hopefully this will be tuned to 121.500 which means you should be able to talk to someone.. they won’t know how to fly, but will be able to contact someone who can! If not tune it to 121.500. If no one answers, you’re in trouble
2. The PTT switch is on the side stick (front trigger), (don’t press the other (red) button as that’ll disconnect the autopilot). Or there’s a tiny switch on the audio control panel, or boom mic can be used..
3. If loudspeaker not turned up, put on headset.. check the VHF2 volume knob is lit up and volume adjusted so you can hear.

So now you can talk to someone.. the rest is just like the movie Airplane 😁
Cheers,

Ian
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

*screenshot*
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve not got time to talk to someone, I’ve got bitches to save.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

8-) :geek:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

IanF wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:00 am https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_ ... Flight_522

Tl;dr - a crew member with a commercial pilots licence couldn’t work out how to use the radios in time, let alone get enough guidance to land the aircraft.
TBF, he got into the cabin an hour and a half after contact was lost and it would seem only a few mins before it ran out of fuel. If he'd got in soon after contact was lost he would have at least stood half a chance.

Also steered it away from Athens. Hero in a lot of ways, just not quite hero enough.
tim

Post by tim »

Yes, easy ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

IanF wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:00 am ...a crew member with a commercial pilots licence couldn’t work out how to use the radios in time, let alone get enough guidance to land the aircraft.
After watching the vid Jimmy linked to, I concluded to myself that I probably wouldn't even be able to figure out how to get the radio to work (and even if I did, it would probably just somehow tune into The Jeremy Cuntface Vine show :lol: )
Oui, je suis un motard.