The price of everything!!!

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: The price of everything!!!

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:04 pm Plan B is to shamelessly borrow money for clothes from people, sort my wardrobe out, and just apply for anything and suck it and see.
You've got it back to front there. Apply for jobs, worry about wardrobe when you get an interview. It'll likely be over Skype / Teams so there's no need to wear trousers 8-) I'd even go so far as to say that as long as you don't wear something deliberately offensive, and your hair / beard doesn't look like this:

then they won't really care.

I'll also echo Jim's advice about CVs. IME, you don't get the jobs you apply for, but the fact you've applied gets your CV into a database somewhere, and they will contact you when there's a match. So sort out that CV and spam a load of job ads.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I need to sort out the Linkedin side of things too, but without alerting work to the fact that I'm looking for a job. I believe that's doable, but as I'm currently not attached to my employer on Linkedin, just having that might cause eyebrows to raise.

I probably just shouldn't fucking care, should I? :lol:

PS: I wish I had that much hair :(
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm Yeah, I need to sort out the Linkedin side of things too...
Yep.
Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm ...but without alerting work to the fact that I'm looking for a job.
Nope.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm PS: I wish I had that much hair :(
I used to. If you promise not to share it I'll send you a pic :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:48 pm
Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm Yeah, I need to sort out the Linkedin side of things too...
Yep.
Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm ...but without alerting work to the fact that I'm looking for a job.
Nope.
Reasonable, actually. Might make them sit up and take notice, etc.

As for pictures of your hairy bits, I'm not paying for that at the moment - Maybe when I've got a new job ;)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:55 pm Reasonable, actually. Might make them sit up and take notice, etc.
I'm going to carry on being harsh. You need some tough love. I've given myself some tough love in the past. It needed sudocrem for a fortnight.

Anyway, stop worrying about your current place. You've been waiting three months already for this CEO meeting ? I don't think they're worrying about you.

Also, we need photos of the GILFS that are fighting over you in Lidl 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:55 pm As for pictures of your hairy bits, I'm not paying for that at the moment - Maybe when I've got a new job ;)
As for that, no money needed. I'll give it to you for free. Just as long as you don't enjoy it.
tim

Post by tim »

Small steps mate. Sort your CV out, forget everything else for now.

As others have said, the job market is as ripe as I've seen it in a long time, a lot of it fully remote. There will be something when you're ready I'm sure. As I'm sure you're all to well aware, the blocker isn't jobs or clothes, it's your own internal battle. Just do what you're comfortable with, a small bit at a time, and know we all think you're a cunt but we'll support you anyway. :)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I've been looking at fully remote stuff, but I think at least hybrid working would be good to get me back to.... more normal conversational types, etc. Five years of biting sarcasm and shock humour probably needs to be beaten out of me. That, and I do like being in an office for the socials where possible; fully remote is fine, if you have a personal life to fall back on, which I really don't these days.

Because, for example, I've had to dip into work three times today; once at the behest of the MD (who at least asked nicely this time), once literally to go to the office with a key holder as a window wasnt shut priority and had blown open, and once to carry on a job that I ran out of time for yesterday but needs doing.

So it's not like, even if I had the money, I could go to Scarborough and see some old friends. Because I literally don't get days off. The thing for the MD only took 20 mins, but it only takes five minutes of unexpected, urgent work to ruin my day.

So hybrid or full office, I'm thinking infrastructure engineering if I want to keep my hands on, or ops management (IE looking after a bunch of like minded nerds) because I like working With People, I think I'd do a decent job of looking after employees given my recent experience of being treated like garbage :lol: and it wouldn't require me to be at the coal face so often, which would be a pleasant change.

I'm just, as noted, trying to avoid jumping from one bad job, to a slightly less bad job; IE AQL always have openings for systems administrators, but I believe that their CEO is similarly inept to my own - so I could probably walk into that job, but I'd be in exactly the same position as before.

Could really do with a clean break to something sane.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What all the others said. Get your CV out there and start applying. We do all interviews remotely, my team is scattered all over the country, so no point in dragging people down here it equally traveling all over the place. You work in telecoms, remember what that's short for? :lol:

Edit: and don't worry about being the weirdest person in the company, chances are you won't be. I'm sure we all have stories about the office weirdos (including the guy that would sit in the office scratching his head and eating whatever was under his nails).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

My home office is such a tip that I couldn't take an interview in that, suppose I'll have to deal with that. Neighbour (and predecessor at the current job - he got out fast :lol: ) has offered to help with that - as noted earlier, discussing these things openly makes them, well, not easy to deal with, but less impossible.

I'll see if I can arrange something with him next weekend in exchange for doing the brakes on his GT86 :lol:

I mean, what's the worst that happens? He's really shocked by the state of my spare room? Embarrassing for thirty seconds, then we grab some black bags and just fucking sort it.

Again, making it real, etc.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:33 pm My home office is such a tip that I couldn't take an interview in that, suppose I'll have to deal with that. Neighbour (and predecessor at the current job - he got out fast :lol: ) has offered to help with that - as noted earlier, discussing these things openly makes them, well, not easy to deal with, but less impossible.

I'll see if I can arrange something with him next weekend in exchange for doing the brakes on his GT86 :lol:

I mean, what's the worst that happens? He's really shocked by the state of my spare room? Embarrassing for thirty seconds, then we grab some black bags and just fucking sort it.

Again, making it real, etc.
or just press the button that blurs the background...
Beany

Post by Beany »

That would involve being able to get in front of the computer in some manner....
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Have you thought about BBQ?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:39 pm That would involve being able to get in front of the computer in some manner....
you can sit on the floor with your computer on your bed if you have to - it's really not an issue.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:39 pm That would involve being able to get in front of the computer in some manner....
But you can get in front of the computer to post here and tell us you can’t get in front of the computer ?? Like RichyBeeBee says, you only need a small amount of wall that doesn’t look like Beirut. The rest is down to the camera angle.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

FFS, I set fire to wood for living, even I know you blur the background.

As for £100 for M&S threads, charity shops sell perfectly decent work wear. If you want new - Asda/Tesco.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Beany wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:11 pm Dare I ask what a baby cheque is?
One written with a biro. Big ones deserve a fountain pen!

Good luck with the rest of your career trajectory. :)
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I had cause to go to a Matalan once. The shirts were of surprisingly good quality and about £6 each (2011).

As for the interview, can’t you just temporarily move all your shit into another room?
Simon

Post by Simon »

OK,

LinkedIn. I accept connections from recruiters regardless of the fact that I'm also connected to dozens of people from my current workplace, including management. Who cares if they see and know? It keeps them on their toes and knowing not to take you for granted.

I've had a few 'conversations' with opportunities in the past, including one Google funded startup that flew me out to California for a chat and other companies that are making waves in their respective industries. All of these have come through recruiters and I've not been afraid to say 'no that job sounds bollox' if appropriate. Let the recruiter do the legwork, not you.

And keep a few different copies of your CV around and up to date. It should always highlight the skills of the job your applying for. Never lie, but obviously different companies are looking for different things and they don't want to receive a generic CV from you, they want to see what skills and experience you have that are relevant to them.

Finally, I'd be surprised if anyone in our industry right now is doing face to face interviews. It's not what I've heard about and it's not my experience. We've got a couple of new members of our team who've never been met in person and they've been with us a few months now. So sit with a blank wall behind you or even on a sofa and hit 'blur' or choose from one of the pre-canned backdrops. No-one cares! And no, you won't need to wear a suit either. I saw a chap in a t-shirt that showed of all his tats with his girlfriend walking across in the background every few minutes. It's life at the moment, and completely normal.
The artist formerly known as _Who_