Mattress recommendations please!

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Mattress recommendations please!

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The Vispring site has a good guide regarding their products and it's all based on your weight.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Gavster wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:21 am
GG. wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:16 pm Hypnos have a good rep. I would also recommend Sleepezee. Not cheap but ours are very good (Memory Comfort 800 I believe). Also as I've got older I've ended up moving towards softer sprung mattress to avoid backache!
You find that softer is better for your back? I'm specifically avoiding softness to help my back!
My friend had back problems and was recommended a firmer mattress but she took it to the extreme and sleeps on a tatami now. Much better now apparently.
Closest thing I’ve had to it is sleeping on those foam camping mats but I wake up feeling like a car has driven over me each time :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:28 pm
GG. wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:16 pm Hypnos have a good rep. I would also recommend Sleepezee. Not cheap but ours are very good (Memory Comfort 800 I believe). Also as I've got older I've ended up moving towards softer sprung mattress to avoid backache!
You find that softer is better for your back? I'm specifically avoiding softness to help my back!
My friend had back problems and was recommended a firmer mattress but she took it to the extreme and sleeps on a tatami now. Much better now apparently.
Closest thing I’ve had to it is sleeping on those foam camping mats but I wake up feeling like a car has driven over me each time :lol:
My gf sleeps on tatami mats and it's horrid, they're wayyy too hard for me. She thinks they're great 🤷‍♂️
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:45 am The Vispring site has a good guide regarding their products and it's all based on your weight.
Thanks! According to that guide I should be medium. It says that a soft mattress causes pressure around your hips and that's precisely what my osteo has been treating the last couple of weeks... deffo time for a new mattress then!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Depends if you are a side or back sleeper - I'm a side sleeper and had a hard mattress that didn't let my hip or shoulder sink in meaning my spine wasn't lying straight = back pain. Moving to a softer mattress was noticeably better.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Me too GG

I can’t sleep at all on hard mattresses, Memory foam ones or, God forbid… a futon 😬
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

GG. wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:17 pm
Depends if you are a side or back sleeper - I'm a side sleeper and had a hard mattress that didn't let my hip or shoulder sink in meaning my spine wasn't lying straight = back pain. Moving to a softer mattress was noticeably better.
Hence why Vispring guides on the basis of weight. I'm 11st and went with a medium.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Hence why Vispring guides on the basis of weight. I'm 11st and went with a medium.
Now I’m curious how that would work if the 2 people sharing the bed are greatly differing weights :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

You can actually get split mattresses that cater to that.

I'm not sure the weight classification for firmness is actually that useful. I'm 16.5 stone which would mean they would recommend hard - wouldn't work for me. I mean obviously bouncy castle softness wouldn't work if you're heavier but other than that I think you're better by trial and error.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:46 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Now I’m curious how that would work if the 2 people sharing the bed are greatly differing weights :lol:
You can get different firmness each side or zip-together mattresses