Petrol the new toilet roll

drcarlos

Re: Petrol the new toilet roll

Post by drcarlos »

The hauliers forcing the drivers to be self employed to get around things like responsibility for them being made to work under poor conditions (70 hours weeks) and breaking rules (tacho removal) was cited by the guy I know who flat refuses to go back. The changes to IR35 mean they would have all of the poor conditions with none of the monetary benefits. This will force the employers to make them PAYE employees, give them sensible hours and not bend or break rules. It will also mean that depots will not be able to treat them like shit too.
Brexit and the free movement of people/skilled worker visa was cited by industry heads (like the guy from Iceland) but they have zero idea if it would actually make any difference because as I stated above would you go and work 2000 miles away from your family sleeping in a lorry cab if you could earn the same and be home everyday?
I would speculate that even if they added drivers to the skilled workers list it would make little or no difference to the situation here as they would all stay close to their families.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

More than half the fuel in this country is sold by supermarkets, and I wonder if/when they prioritise getting food into stores over (minimal profit) petrol. Quite glad one of the cars just plugs in and fills up overnight.

@thelorryist is worth a follow on twitter, one of his supermarket shifts just goes to show why it's not a particularly desirable job. 1am to 4pm (plus commuting time), 5 stores, 338 miles and unloading 20 tons of milk.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Seems to me like lorry drivers are being treated even more like shit now but getting thrown a few quid more per hour because of market dynamics.
Had a few situations where they’re now filling lorries to capacity but removing the forklift inside and expecting the customer at the other end to have a forklift. If not then this results in a stupid amount of manual labour.
Van drivers now also being abused due to lorry shortage. Got a 100kg fireplace delivered in a van which again there’s no easy way to remove aside from having a forklift.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:27 am Seems to me like lorry drivers are being treated even more like shit now but getting thrown a few quid more per hour because of market dynamics.
Had a few situations where they’re now filling lorries to capacity but removing the forklift inside and expecting the customer at the other end to have a forklift. If not then this results in a stupid amount of manual labour.
Van drivers now also being abused due to lorry shortage. Got a 100kg fireplace delivered in a van which again there’s no easy way to remove aside from having a forklift.
This is normal though for every single industrial site I’ve ever been on.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Waitrose delivery guy has just told us that the local petrol stations are backed up.

Poeple are such dickheads aren't they? This was depressingly predicatable as soon as the cocks in the media started blowing it out of proportion.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:08 pm Waitrose delivery guy has just told us that the local petrol stations are backed up.

Poeple are such dickheads aren't they? This was depressingly predicatable as soon as the cocks in the media started blowing it out of proportion.
Can we arrest the media for social disruption or something 😂

I went from a quarter to full earlier for my trip tomorrow, I think I’ll top up before Wales as we have enough to get home Saturday night, I don’t want to join in this mess.

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah, wife is shopping and phoned me to ask why the petrol stations are mental. People are just cunts really. So is johnson. 'Don't panic buy petrol' will always result in people panic buying petrol.

Johnson's a cunt, the media are cunts and the public are cunts. Everyone's a cunt.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Same here, I just picked my daughter up from work and the queues are 100 cars plus.

Needless to say I wafted past in the i3 screaming 'petrol wankers' at them.

😂
Simon

Post by Simon »

Love all this 'electric car' talk when we're seeing unprecedented rises in Gas and Elec costs in the UK right now. ;)
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Electricity would have to be about 48p a unit before the cost of driving matched a 50mpg petrol or diesel car. Current 12 month fixes are expensive but less than half that.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

There was a massive queue for the Tesco next to my gym. Was still a massive queue when I left the gym as well. I really don't get it! Luckily I've still got about a third of a tank, so it should last me a little while. It's such a pain when people say don't panic buy...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

We’ll be hearing in a few months about the cunts who do about 10 miles a week who panic filled their tanks and now can’t start their car because the ethanol has congealed into spunk. Schadenfreude and all that…
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

The stupid has reached Norfolk it seems. I went out this morning and long queues past every filling station I passed. Mugs.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I went to get some fuel this morning as I'm away on Monday and have 50 miles left (optimistically), only took 5 mins, but as I left the queue was certainly growing, and the roads around every local station are red on Google maps 🙄
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Within a couple of days everyone will have a full tank and it'll all be back to normal. What was the original story? 5 BP filling stations out of ~1000 were running a bit low due to the lack of HGV drivers. Bit of media nonsense and you get some panic buying, but there's no fuel shortage generally.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Exactly. People aren't driving more. They're just shifting stock from stations to car tanks. When the morons have done that and assuming flat supply to the forecourts, then the forecourts will have surplus.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

All unleaded gone at my local Co-Op one, no diesel at an Esso one I filled up at today and half the pumps at the Esso switched off completely :roll:

I bet this was all purchased by those who normally stick £20 in at a time .

Dave!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

200 metre queues in the village today. doesn't help that the Tesco/Esso was ramraided 2 weeks ago and they haven't reopened it yet so the Texaco/Coop is being hammered. At least I put £40 in the TVR last night.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:39 pm 200 metre queues in the village today. doesn't help that the Tesco/Esso was ramraided 2 weeks ago and they haven't reopened it yet so the Texaco/Coop is being hammered. At least I put £40 in the TVR last night.
Yes but was that enough for you to make it home ?

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Of course this would happen the weekend before we set off to Scotland. Hopefully I can top up on the motorway.

I’m reminded of the “Mad Max style dystopia” we were promised as we all battle over limited petrol.