A decent cordless drill

mik

Re: A decent cordless drill

Post by mik »

Nice! (You lucky git) 😉👍
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I had the same experience. Getting a new one made all the difference.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

If you find you still need a bit more oomph then a battery sds answers that problem……
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I buy the 18v DeWalt impact whenever it’s on sale for £60 at screwfix which is about once a year. I reckon it’ll last someone who does very little diy a lifetime but repeatedly screwing in 20cm long coach screws without a pilot hole kills them in about a year. Mind you I killed a £150 Milwaukee doing the same so I just stick to the cheap Dewalts now.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

JonMad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:43 pm Though I've already taken one of the batteries out and the charger as I've bought this bad boy

DeWalt fanboy incoming
Need something to blow leaves off drive and garden a couple of times a year and seen people using them to dry cars !

These are £63 bare on ebay atm are they any good ?
Last edited by Carlos on Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:15 pm I buy the 18v DeWalt impact whenever it’s on sale for £60 at screwfix which is about once a year. I reckon it’ll last someone who does very little diy a lifetime but repeatedly screwing in 20cm long coach screws without a pilot hole kills them in about a year. Mind you I killed a £150 Milwaukee doing the same so I just stick to the cheap Dewalts now.
Was £50 this black Friday :lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Carlos wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:51 pm
JonMad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:43 pm Though I've already taken one of the batteries out and the charger as I've bought this bad boy

DeWalt fanboy incoming
Need something to blow leaves off drive and garden a couple of times a year and seen people using them to dry cars !

These are £63 bare on ebay atm are they any good ?
Does the job for blowing leaves off the patio and drive. Less effective blowing them off/around the grass, so once they're on the grass a rake is still needed to pile them up.
Also really handy for inflating things quickly.
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Must admit - I genuinely don't see the point of leaf blowers. Most pointless/annoying power tool in existence?

For leaves on a lawn just use a mower with height raised a touch and hoover them up. For leaves elsewhere use a brush?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I don't have a lawn just trees near the house and brushing is for losers ! :D
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:50 pm Must admit - I genuinely don't see the point of leaf blowers. Most pointless/annoying power tool in existence?

For leaves on a lawn just use a mower with height raised a touch and hoover them up. For leaves elsewhere use a brush?
Good for gravel, blow leaves onto lawn and then use mower. Faster than a brush on anything else too, again just blow leaves off patio and driveway and collect with mower.
Dry your car in 90 seconds.
Leave them on idle pointing at a fire and you can burn anything.
Pretty handy.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I just leave (!) the ones on the gravel. They break down/up quickly.

Dry your car with the free air it's surrounded by.

Stop burning shit :lol:

ANd stop making a fucking racket you irritating twats :evil:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:39 pm I just leave (!) the ones on the gravel. They break down/up quickly.

Dry your car with the free air it's surrounded by.

Stop burning shit :lol:

ANd stop making a fucking racket you irritating twats :evil:
I run the mower up the drive to collect the leaves there - anywhere really. Also chops them up so they take less space and compost quicker. By far the easier method, though I have a leaf vacuum too which hasn't been used in years - at least that also chops them.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I used to have a leaf mower actually. But it was so crap - you had to practically be on top of every single leaf :lol:

I've seen actual leaf mowers (with wheels and a handle like a mower) used at a place we stayed at once. Seemed eminently more sensible than spending a day blowing leaves all over the place and generally being a nuisance.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just looked back on this thread and realised I bought the same nut buster photographed on page 1 for £159.
It was about a week before black Friday so I was hesitant to buy it in case it got further discounted so I took a picture to remind me
But it didn't get discounted any more so I bought it.
Haven't had the opportunity to bust any nuts yet.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The problem with a drill/driver is it's easy to get overzealous and strip cheap screws that come with curtain poles etc.

Hit part of the metal internals of the door fitting a Eufy doorbell backplate and too far in to get moles on and too far out to get doorbell secured and ignore it !

My new favourite tools are extractors 😎

Black magic https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-bolt-e ... lsrc=aw.ds

I've even been around the house removing some I've ignored until I'd need to remove them :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Carlos wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:08 pm My new favourite tools are extractors 😎

Black magic https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-bolt-e ... lsrc=aw.ds
I've got some of those because they look really useful - never yet tried them so I'm glad they're good. I'll doubtless have lost them when I finally have a need for them :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I nicked my Dad's donkeys years ago. I tried using them once but unfortunately they wouldn't touch the bolt or screw I was trying to extract. I had to resort to a Dremel if memory serves.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If even a mm of the screw is showing then these are fantastic. They’ve saved me a man awkward drilling job on no end of rusty screws on my Defender.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002L6 ... asin_title

The original version were called Vampliers.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:51 am If even a mm of the screw is showing then these are fantastic. They’ve saved me a man awkward drilling job on no end of rusty screws on my Defender.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002L6 ... asin_title

The original version were called Vampliers.

Dave!
Good recommendation - just ordered a pair of these as often even mole grips fail to hold this kinda thing - as the grips run the wrong way.
mik

Post by mik »

@V8Granite

These arrived today (although typically I could really have used them on Saturday! :roll: . Look nicely put together and jaws look suitably chunky & aggressive - thanks again. 8-)