New TV Tiime

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: New TV Tiime

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:53 pm I'd guess a bit more for something with a half decent sony/samsung/LG panel, as opposed to something bargain basement.
We picked up a Hisense TV on Black Friday for one of the other rooms and have been very pleasantly surprised by how good it is for the price.
Cheers,

Mike.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:44 am I spotted a 40” JVC in Currys for £199 when I was collecting a microwave - seems to get reasonable reviews. Worth a look @Beany .
Gf is looking for a new microwave; any recommendations?
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:42 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:44 am I spotted a 40” JVC in Currys for £199 when I was collecting a microwave - seems to get reasonable reviews. Worth a look @Beany .
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:34 am
Beany wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:53 pm I'd guess a bit more for something with a half decent sony/samsung/LG panel, as opposed to something bargain basement.
We picked up a Hisense TV on Black Friday for one of the other rooms and have been very pleasantly surprised by how good it is for the price.
Yeah, I spotted those getting respectable reviews...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:42 am
I hate them so bought the cheapest I could find which was from a reputable brand, for people in the office to make soup at lunchtime - a Kenwood from Currys. I cannot say this is in any way a recommendation because I'll never use it. It was easy to collect and unpack, if that helps :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Guess what idiot is now looking at 50" 4k 120hz screens for about £600? :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Split the difference and got one of these for £400 (plus £30 for delivery on Saturday afternoon because fuck being stuck in from 8 till 8 on a Saturday)

https://hisense.co.uk/tvs/all-tvs/a7h/

Seems to get decent reviews, it's 4k, normal 60hz, QLED (which is probably the last hurrah of LED tech that isn't OLED) panel and at 50" should be just a bit too big to be appropriate for this room. Apparently this laptop can drive 4k60 with a thunderbolt/USB3 displayport adapter, but given it can't play back Youtue in 4k, and absolutely won't play emulated games in 4k I'll probably just run it at 1080p till I replace this laptop with something better, or rebuild my desktop PC, or whatever.

I expect I'll look at 120hz TVs properly when they're more common and not, you know, starting at six hundred fucking quid...
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

4k 120hz does look amazing.

Tried the laptop through the tv and played Beam NG for a bit with the boy, laptop easily handled that at 4k on ultra which was impressive, but it's not really graphically spectacular.

So played Cyberpunk, that looks amazing.

Seems smoother on the Series X than the Laptop weirdly.

Built in speakers aren't terrible either, which was a surprise for a modern TV.
Beany

Post by Beany »

That sounds wonderful.

I run linux. I'm pretty sure that the i5-8350U with it's inbuilt graphics won't even play Metroid Prime - the original Gamecube version - at 4k, never mind BeamNG. It struggles to internally upscale to 1080p most of the time ;)

That's what the upcoming rebuild of the desktop PC is for.....at least then multiple teraflops of compute power might let me play something more modern than emulated PS2 and Gamecube/Wii games via Proton* :lol:

* (a chunk of middleware that converts DirectX graphics calls to Vulkan calls that Linux can interpret - it's how Steam Deck works with Windows games)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ok, so my 60hz telly gets picked up as having 120hz 1080p mode - and a real-time 3d app which reports how many frames it's successfully drawn to the display also reports 120fps.

So that's a bit unexpected. :lol:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

The Philips one we have that now lives upstairs has a 120hz 1080p mode, never used it, and I only knew about it because the Xbox told me about it.

I'm guessing it's a fair step up from your old TV, you don't realise how bad the old one was, until you have gone from a FHD to UHD one.

When our old 42'' 3d LG gave up the ghost, and we got the Philips one, it was amazing how clear everything was all of a sudden.

But it was 10 years old tbf, which is decent going I suppose.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I need a new tv soon - currently we have a 10 year old 42 inch Panasonic one that looks pretty small these days. I've managed to convince the mrs it needs relegating to the front room (we've only ever had 1 tv in the house).

55-60 inch - around £500 needed..
mik

Post by mik »

@Rich B I am currently toying with the idea of a 65” version of this. 55” comes in at £700 (£625 from an eBay seller but not sure I”d want that risk if something goes wrong). Yes yes, evonomics man.

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-55qned816qa.html

QNED can’t quite match lovely OLED in terms of black depths, but gets extremely close, and counters with an ability to go much brighter than OLED. Far cheaper, so possibly a good compromise (for me).

Had a look in John Lewis yesterday and picture on both screens looked fantastic. Good summary here.

NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Ascender wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:34 am
The better spec Vestel made (most of the cheap TVs you see), have as good and if not better brightness and contrast as the cheapest LG and Samsung, they all use generic VA panels.
They Vestel made TVs often lack a lot in processing performance which can manifest as lag, blur, stutter etc, but turn off all the processing garbage (enhancements, de-noise etc) and you fix 99% of the motions issues and they are easy to setup for decent brightness/contrast reproduction. And if you use quality digital sources, the enhancements are just gimics. Film or Movie mode often turns off all gimic features and sets brightness and contrast to good defaults that only need a little tweaking with these TV's.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I experimented with the motion smoothing/denoising/etc but quite frankly, the laptop does a better job of such things if I want it.

That, and I can do 120hz interpolation on a 60fps source if I want, but it can't keep up with certain things and certain motions so it just looks jarring.

So all of that is turned off and I've ust bumped up the contrast a little, basically.
mik

Post by mik »

I may have just ordered a 65” LG OLED…. :o
Beany

Post by Beany »

For the hallway, yeah?
mik

Post by mik »

Where else?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

If anyone wants to go all-out in their hallway I can get about £3k off the 97” OLED at the moment…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

£3k off, I’m guessing it comes with a free night with a recent Miss Universe winner?
How about not having a sig at all?