EV Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: EV Thread

Post by Rich B »

Carlos wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:49 pm It isn't always just about saving money!

In an urban environment you have lack of noise, emissions, road space and ease of parking. In the case of the i3 you can get 4 adults in comfortably in a car that is sub 4m.

That's before CG realises they are genuinely fun to drive.
i agree, but to many, cars are just another bill that they want to be as cheap as they can, so buying a £40k car to do it just doesn't make sense.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Good job this is expected to be comfortably under £30k, closer to £25k, then. Bear in mind a base spec corsa is £20k these days, and no I'm not joking.

https://store.vauxhall.co.uk/selector/c ... esez-black
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:57 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:52 pm I would still really like a Honda E - for driving into town, parking at the station or whatever. Keep it plugged in when at home so it's always ready to go.
Same. And an i3. And probably one of these or A210 when they come along :lol:
Simultaneously?!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:19 pm Good job this is expected to be comfortably under £30k, closer to £25k, then. Bear in mind a base spec corsa is £20k these days, and no I'm not joking.

https://store.vauxhall.co.uk/selector/c ... esez-black
But you can drive that £20k Corsa to South Africa and back with no more than 20 minutes total stoppage time for refuelling….
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:19 pm Good job this is expected to be comfortably under £30k, closer to £25k, then.
i bet* it it ends up over £30k.

*1 bag of revels.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Big battery version will probably be closer to £40k.

Alpine version which will be the actually desirable one will probably be £50k. And so on and so forth.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:23 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:57 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:52 pm I would still really like a Honda E - for driving into town, parking at the station or whatever. Keep it plugged in when at home so it's always ready to go.
Same. And an i3. And probably one of these or A210 when they come along :lol:
Simultaneously?!
That would perhaps be a bit silly :lol:

I've just watched the TLBS vid on the new R5 and I have to say I rather like it. Sounds like it should have a decent range, is <1.5t, isn't huge (<4m long and only 1.77 wide), has a decent interior, independent rear suspension, and good boot space. It looks like they've compromised the rear passenger space to squeeze it all in, but that's probably the best thing to compromise on for most use cases.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Watched Jonnys walkabout on the R5 earlier and yeah, good spec and lessons from Zoe should mean its a decent daily. A shame its not rwd considering how relatively easy packaging is on EV, but 99% of owners will never notice I guess.

I'll take that black one with the multiblade wheels please.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I like it, but it’s still big and heavy for a small car with not much space. A sliding rear seat so you can occasionally take rear passengers with actual legs would have been handy.
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:05 pm I like it, but it’s still big and heavy for a small car with not much space. A sliding rear seat so you can occasionally take rear passengers with actual legs would have been handy.
Yeah - I guess they're gambling that for 99% of use cases the rear seat space will be less important than boot space.

@Barry - surprised JS didn't mention Alpine. He did make a lot of the rear suspension setup facilitating a rear motor, which I'm guessing is inference to what might happen for the A290.

ETA - just read up on some of the latest articles and apparently the A290 will be fwd.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Makes me wonder if they're planning an AWD hot variant down the line yeah, we can hope. Fat arch TurboII style arches please and thank you.
Last edited by Barry on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Barry wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:34 am Makes me wonder if they're planning an AWD hot variant down the line yeah, we can hope. Fat arch TurboII style awful please and thank you.
https://www.renault.co.uk/concept-cars- ... bo-3e.html

Already done as a rolling concept
Beany

Post by Beany »

Eh, not really the same - that has it's own tubular chassis with the R5 body dropped on top. Unless they're homologating it - which they aren't - then it's just a cringey concept with no actual connection to the road car. Look at the shit in the displays, "DANGER; 1UP; U'RE TOO GOOD"

Also "the R5 TURBO 3E E-Tech 100% electric weighs 980 kg (excluding batteries)" - has that tubular chassis been packing away the pies???
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:10 am Eh, not really the same - that has it's own tubular chassis with the R5 body dropped on top. Unless they're homologating it - which they aren't - then it's just a cringey concept with no actual connection to the road car. Look at the shit in the displays, "DANGER; 1UP; U'RE TOO GOOD"

Also "the R5 TURBO 3E E-Tech 100% electric weighs 980 kg (excluding batteries)" - has that tubular chassis been packing away the pies???

The display is a digital old man trying to “get down with the yooooth innit”

Didn’t realise it was a bespoke chassis, I looked at the pictures and never went beyond that :lol: as for the weight I bet it’ll have some serious reinforcement around the battery area as it’s designed as a drift car, which are known for smashing into walls
Beany

Post by Beany »

They did make a runner, but that also confirms that the weight without battery is around a ton, and the weight with battery is 1500kg.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Quoting weight without batteries :roll:
And I thought dry weight was stupid.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It kind of reminds me of those rallycross EVs which apparently also weigh over 1400kg. That’s a racing car designed to only go a few miles round track ffs.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Maybe holding off so as not to impact potential R4 sales

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/3 ... -suv-class
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yippee, more over-styled shit boxes....
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:58 pm Yippee, more over-styled shit boxes....
That's a concept in the attached article.

Reminds me - had a R4 behind us the other day and he was thraping it - comical lean angles as he came around a bend 8-)