EV Thread

KevH18

Re: EV Thread

Post by KevH18 »

Our PodPoint charging point is being fitted next Wednesday. It only added £350 to the total cost of the lease and as both our meter box and fuse board are on the same wall, metre external and fuse internal, I'm hoping it's going to be fairly straightforward. Always wonder if they're just going to add things on to attempt to add more to the cost though.
Barry

Post by Barry »

KevH18 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:22 pm Our PodPoint charging point is being fitted next Wednesday. It only added £350 to the total cost of the lease and as both our meter box and fuse board are on the same wall, metre external and fuse internal, I'm hoping it's going to be fairly straightforward. Always wonder if they're just going to add things on to attempt to add more to the cost though.
New boxes have the fancy earth device, but if it's the older type you might need an external earth rod, as mentioned earlier. My Rolec is in the garage so I needed a rod in the garden in the end. An extra couple hours faff, but included in the original quote.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Barry wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:24 am
KevH18 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:22 pm Our PodPoint charging point is being fitted next Wednesday. It only added £350 to the total cost of the lease and as both our meter box and fuse board are on the same wall, metre external and fuse internal, I'm hoping it's going to be fairly straightforward. Always wonder if they're just going to add things on to attempt to add more to the cost though.
New boxes have the fancy earth device, but if it's the older type you might need an external earth rod, as mentioned earlier. My Rolec is in the garage so I needed a rod in the garden in the end. An extra couple hours faff, but included in the original quote.
Thanks Barry. It's going to be a new box, hopefully not an older version they had lying about it. I was surprised by how easy the process has been so far. Had to fill in an application form and copy some pictures across but that's supposedly it before they come and fit it on the day .
Barry

Post by Barry »

Ioniq collected this morning, one blip on the inspection report, a recent scratch on the rear bumper (I think that literally happened this weekend!).

Called insurer to swap to the Niro (ready for del next week) and after much faff with the system (reg isn't showing on the system yet) she informed me that I'm OWED £14 refund..

I have been writing it down everywhere cos I still can't quite believe it. 2019 Ioniq was higher risk than 2022 E-Niro.. <shrug>
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

The EQV has the most accurate speedometer on any car, it matches Waze at all speeds around town and on the motorway.

Assuming its GPS based, is that common to EVs?
mik

Post by mik »

Am I being over sensitive?

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Doesn't seem it. What's the context?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Hmm - I just realised Martt’s tweets are protected, so maybe they aren’t visible.

Matt quotes an excerpt from a conversation in an EV forum (?) where people are complaining about ICE drivers parking in charger spaces.

Apparently - if you like fossil fuel powered cars - this is a source of much mirth.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Being ICE'd is a source of frustration for regular public charger users, I see it commented on a lot. Unsure whether it's laziness or done out of spite, either way it's a d!CK move. People would lose their minds if EV driver's parked in front of fuel pumps and went shopping.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

How you getting on with the e-Niro @Barry?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:50 am Hmm - I just realised Martt’s tweets are protected, so maybe they aren’t visible.

Matt quotes an excerpt from a conversation in an EV forum (?) where people are complaining about ICE drivers parking in charger spaces.

Apparently - if you like fossil fuel powered cars - this is a source of much mirth.
Be good if you could screenshot it because his tweets aren’t visible.

But you’re not being sensitive. Would these people laugh at a blue badge holder being prevented from parking in disabled spaces by able bodied people?

Birmingham sussed the PHEVs blocking charging spaces all day by limiting the duration you can park in those spaces. It was a nice loophole for PHEV drivers to get free parking for a year or two though.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:48 am
Birmingham sussed the PHEVs blocking charging spaces all day by limiting the duration you can park in those spaces. It was a nice loophole for PHEV drivers to get free parking for a year or two though.
do people normally park in Birmingham for more than a year or two at a time?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

It’s so beautiful there, they never want to leave !!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Probably just giving a statement at the police station for the mugging they had.

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:03 am
Jobbo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:48 am
do people normally park in Birmingham for more than a year or two at a time?
Since it was the same couple of cars I saw every day on my way to the office (Merc C350e and Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV) it’s quite possible they did 😂 There wasn’t anything to stop them doing so.
Barry

Post by Barry »

KevH18 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:27 am How you getting on with the e-Niro @Barry?
It's not here yet, should arrive on Tuesday. 👍
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Barry wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:46 am Being ICE'd is a source of frustration for regular public charger users, I see it commented on a lot. Unsure whether it's laziness or done out of spite, either way it's a d!CK move. People would lose their minds if EV driver's parked in front of fuel pumps and went shopping.
I can't believe that's even a thing, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. People just don't give a fvck.
Cheers,

Mike.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Interesting tweet.

Didn't know this about lithium ion batteries.

Though it doesn't surprise me...I mean, the majority of electric cars still use plastics which are a by product of crude oil refinement.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That is really interesting. Doesn’t surprise me that Downing Street isn’t aware of it.

I watched a video last week with rumours about the iPhone 14 and a battery capacity breakthrough, using solid rather that liquid electrolyte. May not be here for the iPhone 14 but relevant generally to battery tech. Apple have one patent but I don’t think it’s particularly restrictive since they didn’t invent or discover the tech.
mik

Post by mik »

Excellent - thanks @Marv 8-)