EV Thread

V8Granite

Re: EV Thread

Post by V8Granite »

I think I’d rather eat lentils and fashion a wicker basket for my ladies bike.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Update on our E-Tron just added to the fleet running thread (page 1006 for future reference). Didn't want to post the same thing here also.
mik

Post by mik »

Prompted by discussion with Jobbo on coasting in the Hire Car thread.

Reasons I don’t like 1-pedal driving mode.

1. It’s almost impossible to coast without accidentally allowing the car to harvest and slow you slightly. Big heavy, slippery E-Tron coasts silently and holds onto its velocity very well. It’s disproportionately satisfying.

2. You sometimes need to adjust your foot position on the accelerator - which is tricky to do in 1-pedal mode without inadvertently braking.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

You can alter the amount of regen on most EV with modes or paddles

Does the etron not have the feature?
mik

Post by mik »

It does. You can set it to a 1-pedal type mode, have it so it automatically regens approaching roundabouts etc, or have it totally manual. In all modes you can use the steering wheel paddles to introduce or remove 2 stages of regen, and in all modes the initial brake pedal application initiates regen only (more strongly than you can apply via the paddles alone).

My point was a preference against 1-pedal mode for the reasons I mentioned. The loaner EQA is set in this mode and I'm not a fan. If it was "mine" I'd change it, but mrs mik recons she's got used to it now....
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Now I've actually driven an EV I feel a bit more interested in this thread. With the updated Taycan apparently offering 400 miles' range I may have to consider one - though they are nowhere near as practical as a proper estate, which is nowhere near as practical as an ID Buzz... I'll just avoid moving house. Ever again.

The one pedal thing appeals because I felt horribly wasteful having to press the brake pedal on the Buzz. I assume it would be mostly regen but it definitely got better efficiency figures in the more one pedal mode; what surprised me was that it didn't come to a complete halt in that mode but kept rolling, like creep in an auto. Clearly I am getting too used to the mower's hydrostatic drive :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I quite like the Buzz too, but 250 miles just seems a little too low. It would mean I couldn't use it for the sort of thing I'd want one for. Loading up 4 bikes/riders and heading to Wales for the day or driving down to Cornwall with the family.

I just don't see the large practical car as the right fit for EV tech.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You're right, Rich - it's a vehicle which lends itself to adventures which is a bit spoiled by not being able to go more than 125 miles from home into the wilderness. 250 mile range is probably optimistic anyway; if you can use say 74kWh of the 77kWh battery and take my best efficiency of 3.1mi/kWh (not bad for a tall heavy object), that's under 230 miles. Which is still way more than I'd expect in the real world on a long trip - sub-200 miles is going to be the reality.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:53 pm You're right, Rich - it's a vehicle which lends itself to adventures which is a bit spoiled by not being able to go more than 125 miles from home into the wilderness. 250 mile range is probably optimistic anyway; if you can use say 74kWh of the 77kWh battery and take my best efficiency of 3.1mi/kWh (not bad for a tall heavy object), that's under 230 miles. Which is still way more than I'd expect in the real world on a long trip - sub-200 miles is going to be the reality.
But you're never more than 70mi from the coast, which is where the Buzz is meant to be for maximum showing off points. And don't forget your DryRobe. :D
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:35 pm The one pedal thing appeals because I felt horribly wasteful having to press the brake pedal on the Buzz. I assume it would be mostly regen but it definitely got better efficiency figures in the more one pedal mode; what surprised me was that it didn't come to a complete halt in that mode but kept rolling, like creep in an auto. Clearly I am getting too used to the mower's hydrostatic drive :lol:
It will be regen on the brake pedal until you brake pretty heavily.

Ability to regen approaches zero as velocity approaches zero - you need physical brakes to come to a stop.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:01 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:53 pm You're right, Rich - it's a vehicle which lends itself to adventures which is a bit spoiled by not being able to go more than 125 miles from home into the wilderness. 250 mile range is probably optimistic anyway; if you can use say 74kWh of the 77kWh battery and take my best efficiency of 3.1mi/kWh (not bad for a tall heavy object), that's under 230 miles. Which is still way more than I'd expect in the real world on a long trip - sub-200 miles is going to be the reality.
But you're never more than 70mi from the coast, which is where the Buzz is meant to be for maximum showing off points. And don't forget your DryRobe. :D
8-) If only the ID Buzz could fly like a crow. And even then, I'm not sure Weston-super-Mud is the place to be seen in your V-dub.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:53 am
8-) If only the ID Buzz could fly like a crow.
I've seen a horse fly......
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I can't imagine the anxiety of taking the ID Buzz on the sort of typical camping trip in Scotland we'd have done with the old camper van.

Looks nice though.
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I looked at the Buzz when I was looking for my next EV, some good deals pop up which were tempting but the same concerns come up, range isn't huge, efficiency not great (not terrible either tbh) and it's a bit slow.

My Ioniq6 has same battery size and it's commonly accepted it'll do 300+ miles all year round, but it's very slippery by comparison. I'm seeing 3.5m/kWh on cold mornings, well into 4s on milder days.

As for regen use, I still use the paddles to swap between regen in town/traffic, and coasting on big roads.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The American long wheelbase version with the 90kwh battery and better motors looks decent, presumably too heavy for the EU market. 0.29 cd is pretty much a range killer though and I'd expect you want to be going no more than 60 mph to get anywhere near the claimed range.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I'd still be concerned about the deprecaition on the Buzz. Cheapest is £45k at the moment at 18 months old. Like the conversation before there still a massive :?: for me about costs to repair some of these cars, so I'd be really interested to see what the Buzz would retail for after 3 years once the warranty is out, or what the cost to extend would be.

I'm still on the Honda-E forum, and even the fanboys ("I only had to stop 4 times to get to my destination! It's part of the adventure!") are warning people about some of the expensive faults that can occur and the warranty being essential (repeated door handle failures (£1k at dealer), simulation braking (£4k at dealer)). Not to mention the fact I think the p/x price is about to drop into 4 figures :shock:

That all being said, nearly everyone I speak to who has electric cars is very positive about them and say they wouldn't go back...or maybe its post-purchase rationalisation.
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Matty wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 pm I'm still on the Honda-E forum, and even the fanboys ("I only had to stop 4 times to get to my destination! It's part of the adventure!") are warning people about some of the expensive faults that can occur and the warranty being essential (repeated door handle failures (£1k at dealer), simulation braking (£4k at dealer)). Not to mention the fact I think the p/x price is about to drop into 4 figures :shock:

That all being said, nearly everyone I speak to who has electric cars is very positive about them and say they wouldn't go back...or maybe its post-purchase rationalisation.
Just had a look at the price of these as a potential short trip go-to. Range of 100 miles seems comparable to the Mazda MX-30. That's looking around £13k for a '71 plate, cheaper than the e, so could be interesting if the small range is sufficient. Cheap enough that you're not trying to offset a huge purchase price with savings on fuel for something not doing many miles. Might not have the manoeuvrability of the Honda though, and the rear looks an arse to get in and out of.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 pm I'm still on the Honda-E forum, and even the fanboys ("I only had to stop 4 times to get to my destination! It's part of the adventure!") are warning people about some of the expensive faults that can occur and the warranty being essential (repeated door handle failures (£1k at dealer), simulation braking (£4k at dealer)). Not to mention the fact I think the p/x price is about to drop into 4 figures :shock:
I had in mind a Honda E to keep plugged in and use as a fun appliance but the range is so short even that doesn't seem a good idea, and now there are problems with them (very un-Honda) I'm absolutely not touching them. Have thought about a Mini E as an alternative; much more common than the Honda and similarly priced. Might end up being a replacement for my stepdaughter's Mini in time.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Repair costs were a factor in me getting a fresh lease instead of buying a 3yr old Niro LR, I'm not that brave just yet.