Battery Charger

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Battery Charger

Post by Matty »

I'm sure I started a thread about this a while ago, and I can't find it.

Anyway, my Aldi AutoXS battery charger died today, or the Alfa killed it, I'm not sure which. It's under warranty, but not sure I can be bothered with the faff for £20. Neither Aldi or Lidl have their usual specials coming up anytime soon - does anyone have any alternatives? The CTEK XS is £36, which seems like the best bet.
Simon

Re: Battery Charger

Post by Simon »

It all seems to rest on 'what kind of battery do you have'. The special stop/start ones need a particular kind of charger, and the type in my Merc is different to my sister-in-laws CMax and my Dad's Octavia and so on...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

You answered your own question. Unless you listen to Simon of course.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The XS looks fine though you might want to spend a bit more and buy one with the different modes; I find the reconditioning function very useful.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

The best thing about the ctek is you can just plug it in and it switches on, my auto xs and Oxford maximiser need plugging in and switching to the correct mode which means for permanent fitting they are a pain. If I didn’t already have the cheap Oxford oximiser that just comes on to trickle charge when plugged in I’d have bought a more expensive ctek.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

My CTEK has the modes but it remembers which mode it was last in and switches straight on to that. It’s over 10yrs old so nothing new and clever.
Marv

Post by Marv »

+1 on the CTEK.

Though I own a couple of the cheapy Lidl chargers and they are a bargain.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:15 pm The XS looks fine though you might want to spend a bit more and buy one with the different modes; I find the reconditioning function very useful.
Yeah, the 5.0 comes with the reconditioning. How useful is that, though? I was under the impression that once it hit that level batteries never really recovered regardless.

The issue I have is I can't leave the car plugged in 24/7 - as it's too wide to fit in the garage it needs to stay on the drive, meaning I can't leave it plugged in so I'm never sure how effective these units are if they're just plugged in for a few hours here and there.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Why can't you leave it attached as it goes into trickle conditioning mode when full ?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:15 pm The XS looks fine though you might want to spend a bit more and buy one with the different modes; I find the reconditioning function very useful.
Yeah, the 5.0 comes with the reconditioning. How useful is that, though? I was under the impression that once it hit that level batteries never really recovered regardless.

The issue I have is I can't leave the car plugged in 24/7 - as it's too wide to fit in the garage it needs to stay on the drive, meaning I can't leave it plugged in so I'm never sure how effective these units are if they're just plugged in for a few hours here and there.
Reconditioning mode definitely works - I’ve had batteries that have been drained too far for other chargers to get them going. The reconditioning mode gets charge into them from totally dead. It’s the only mode I use because if it doesn’t need reconditioning, the charger goes through the first steps very quickly.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've had this for about 8 months now and it been great:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABSAAR-12V-2 ... 635-2958-0

Brought the AGM back to full health on the XF and comes with a hardwire kit as well as clip leads.

Left it on all through to April as I hardly used the car and it was fine.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Matty wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 pm The issue I have is I can't leave the car plugged in 24/7 - as it's too wide to fit in the garage it needs to stay on the drive, meaning I can't leave it plugged in...
Why can't you leave it plugged in ? I've left cars on charge on the driveway loads of times.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I've got a 25m waterproof IP66 extension box that the charger is plugged into. Lives under the car and the cable runs into the garage.

edit: this, in fact
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty

Post by Matty »

For those interested, the CTEK MX5.0 is currently £54 on Amazon:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ctek-m ... on-3791964
Simon

Post by Simon »

Matty wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:25 pm For those interested, the CTEK MX5.0 is currently £54 on Amazon:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ctek-m ... on-3791964
And what if you don't have an MX5?
The artist formerly known as _Who_