Ineos Grenadier

DaveE

Re: Ineos Grenadier

Post by DaveE »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 pm Just watched the Johnny Smith video on it. I actually quite like it and what they've done. But I just can't get my head around where the market is and whether it's big enough to sustain sales. Especially if they're going done the engineered to last approach.

I hope they do well though
Watched this too - some wonderfully thoughtful touches to make it super useful/useable

Can't help wonder the same though - and whether they've gone too far on those thoughtful touches

Very appealing though - almost makes me wish I had the need for one :)
Holley

Post by Holley »

I want to like it, but can't get passed...

- looking like a second hand car from the 90's
- 2.9 tonnes
- horrific MPG

If it's for commercial, surely a pick up is better and cheaper. If it's for personal, you'd think a defender is the better day to day car.

Having said that, I know of wealthy lawyer types (can't speak for Jobbo!) that would buy one just as a talking point with their mates.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Holley wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:52 pm
If it's for personal, you'd think a defender is the better day to day car.
Apart from all the days when it's languishing at the dealer's in a queue of others waiting to be fixed? :lol:
Holley

Post by Holley »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:24 pm
Holley wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:52 pm
If it's for personal, you'd think a defender is the better day to day car.
Apart from all the days when it's languishing at the dealer's in a queue of others waiting to be fixed? :lol:
Helps keep those miles down, better for resale :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:21 pm I don’t get anything about it tbh.
I tried to watch the Jonny Smith test, but ended up skipping. Finished the 34min vid in about 4 mins - I don't desire one.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Are the new Defenders as unreliable as previous cars from the group or is it now just the default response when anybody asks what they're like?
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:13 pm Are the new Defenders as unreliable as previous cars from the group or is it now just the default response when anybody asks what they're like?
There are a lot of stories about bad seals (faulty rubber rather than aquatic mammals with switchblades) letting water in and messing with the electrics.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:13 pm Are the new Defenders as unreliable as previous cars from the group or is it now just the default response when anybody asks what they're like?
JLR haven't learned anything in the last few decades about quality control so I can't imagine they've suddenly started :lol:

ETA: - when they shift as many of them as they do in the likes of Cheshire, I suppose you could see why maybe they wouldn't suddenly start bothering tbh.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Someone on seloc managed to lock themselves in the back of a commercial one recently and had to be set free by a neighbour. Not sure JLR can be blamed for that or not.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:03 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:21 pm I don’t get anything about it tbh.
I tried to watch the Jonny Smith test, but ended up skipping. Finished the 34min vid in about 4 mins - I don't desire one.
it just looked like lots of stopping to press and hold buttons to change modes every 5 minutes whilst sat in a shitty driving position surrounded by more buttons to change modes. And lots of places to attach external lights.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

240PP wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 pm
Someone on seloc managed to lock themselves in the back of a commercial one recently and had to be set free by a neighbour. Not sure JLR can be blamed for that or not.
:lol: I thought cars had to have an emergency release inside the boot/hatch/barn door for exactly that situation.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:25 pm
There are a lot of stories about bad seals (faulty rubber rather than aquatic mammals with switchblades) letting water in and messing with the electrics.
The door rattling about in the aperture like an old Citroen AX would instantly put me off.

I know 2 owners, one has an early diesel and his has had problems with the engine. The other one handed his back and got a replacement, no idea about the replacement.

I do think the Defender is a great car it’s just far too big.

Dave!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

:lol:

Fantastic.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Holley wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:52 pm I want to like it, but can't get passed...

- looking like a second hand car from the 90's
- 2.9 tonnes
- horrific MPG

If it's for commercial, surely a pick up is better and cheaper. If it's for personal, you'd think a defender is the better day to day car.

Having said that, I know of wealthy lawyer types (can't speak for Jobbo!) that would buy one just as a talking point with their mates.
Jeez!

Three tonnes?!

I had no idea.

I'm oot!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

A new Defender is over 2.5t, for reference.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:37 pm
:lol: I thought cars had to have an emergency release inside the boot/hatch/barn door for exactly that situation.
I’ve just read the updated thread. He’s found it now..

A couple of people mentioned commercial vehicles don’t have to have them, which sounds mental but everyone on seloc is an expert on everything in the whole world so it’s definitely true.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The heaviest version is 2.8 tons, it’s certainly a big downside but also the reason it’ll be such a strong chassis and drivetrain.

Wasn’t it only Jag who were actually reducing the weight of their modern cars ?

Dave!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

There were a load of these parked in Kelso square a couple of week back, all Italian registered I think. Amazingly, my wife did not find my oral history of their conception to be that interesting! :(
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Watched the whole thing now and I do like the look of it and some of the practical touches like all of the places to hang/mount stuff and the pre-wired accessory points and fuses for future stuff is great. Apparently they're also making workshop manuals available and you can order spare parts direct to your door which sounds good.

It just exists in that weird space where even if I had the money spare, would I spend that much on something which would be getting bought to be a proper workhorse of a car?
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I had a look at the Defender configurator and my chosen spec was £65k so I guess they have the pricing about right on that front.

Hard to pick either of them as a working off roader when a hilux is £30k cheaper though.
An absolute unit