Men in womens sport

Broccers

Re: Men in womens sport

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:13 pm I see lots of able bodied disabled people do that very thing in disabled car park spaces...
Playing basketball?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:38 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:11 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:01 pm Nah, I've already had this discussion elsewhere.

I'll leave him to it.
Such a shame as how anyone can agree this is fair really is different world level.
Was your answer more comprehensive elsewhere?
You should probably discuss it with someone else who virtue signals like you’re doing; Graham Linehan would be a good shout.
mik

Post by mik »

I don’t have any issue with folks making what is a simply massive change to their bodies and lives.

I don’t believe though that it is fair for men who have transitioned to women to then compete in competitive sport (particularly solo sports) as their new gender. It undeniably provides an unfair advantage - yeah you get strong ladies who were born as ladies, but on average men are bigger and stronger. Fact. Which is why you don’t hear issues about folks that transition in the other direction.

In saying that, it is very easy to argue that many sports favour specific genetic advantages. Not many short swimmers either - they have to swim further to complete a length of the pool. Abnormally big hands and/or feet help move more water. Not many massive single-seater racing drivers though. Some people have naturally faster reactions. Some people have better coordination. Yada yada.

So sport is unfair already. But this is moh unfayer.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 pm
Playing basketball?
Si… ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:11 pm

Such a shame as how anyone can agree this is fair really is different world level.
You should probably discuss it with someone else who virtue signals like you’re doing; Graham Linehan would be a good shout.
Been on alcopops again?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:49 pm I don’t have any issue with folks making what is a simply massive change to their bodies and lives.

I don’t believe though that it is fair for men who have transitioned to women to then compete in competitive sport (particularly solo sports) as their new gender. It undeniably provides an unfair advantage - yeah you get strong ladies who were born as ladies, but on average men are bigger and stronger. Fact. Which is why you don’t hear issues about folks that transition in the other direction.

In saying that, it is very easy to argue that many sports favour specific genetic advantages. Not many short swimmers either - they have to swim further to complete a length of the pool. Abnormally big hands and/or feet help move more water. Not many massive single-seater racing drivers though. Some people have naturally faster reactions. Some people have better coordination. Yada yada.

Well put.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:29 pm
mik wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:49 pm I don’t have any issue with folks making what is a simply massive change to their bodies and lives.

Well put.
I also have to add why is it needed to balance fuckin common sense these days. It's obvious that 25 stone Trevor now Teresa can throw a hammer twice as far as 8 stone was and still is Julie even tho they are in their squad for each country.

Bonkers
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Been on alcopops again?
Oh, are you female now? Or are you actually virtue signalling?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Fun fact; Linehan's birthday is the day after Broccers'. As you were (can I say that? :? ).

Even if there was some way of figuring Bop, success ballast etc, would it make any difference in practice once people have gamed the rules?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:39 pm Fun fact; Linehan's birthday is the day after Broccers'. As you were (can I say that? :? ).

Even if there was some way of figuring Bop, success ballast etc, would it make any difference in practice once people have gamed the rules?
Im 5 years younger cheeky scamp.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am
Been on alcopops again?
Oh, are you female now? Or are you actually virtue signalling?
I've still no clue what you're bleating about.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:39 pm Fun fact; Linehan's birthday is the day after Broccers'. As you were (can I say that? :? ).

Im 5 years younger cheeky scamp.

I hear you're an ageist now, Father Broccers.

"When's your birthday?"
"Randember eleventeenth."
"What year?"
"Every year."
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Pretty sure that is not true? ;)
mik

Post by mik »

Gavin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 am

25m pool. If you are 1.5m tall you need to swim 23.5m (assuming your push-off from the turn is almost non existent but the same principle applies) until your finger tips hit the other end. If you are 2.5m tall you need to swim 22.5m after every turn.

Freestyle tumble turn? Point of rotation for a tall person is much further from the pool end than that of a short person.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

mik wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:23 am
Gavin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 am

25m pool. If you are 1.5m tall you need to swim 23.5m (assuming your push-off from the turn is almost non existent but the same principle applies) until your finger tips hit the other end. If you are 2.5m tall you need to swim 22.5m after every turn.

Freestyle tumble turn? Point of rotation for a tall person is much further from the pool end than that of a short person.
I suppose that depends whether your feet have swum as well? I do know what you mean, but not sure of the wording. :D
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I still don’t understand how this is allowed, just a quick look at human dimorphism on wiki shows how different men and women are.

“ Males typically have larger tracheae and branching bronchi, with about 30 percent greater lung volume per body mass. On average, males have larger hearts, 10 percent higher red blood cell count, higher hemoglobin, hence greater oxygen-carrying capacity. They also have higher circulating clotting factors (vitamin K, prothrombin and platelets). These differences lead to faster healing of wounds and higher peripheral pain tolerance.[99]”

At the end of the day I don’t see how taking a drug which inhibits testosterone production would reverse all the above unless it’s done from pre-pubescence.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:18 pm At the end of the day I don’t see how taking a drug which inhibits testosterone production would reverse all the above unless it’s done from pre-pubescence.
I don't either, probably just a case of regulations lagging far far behind reality. Even if the athetic has the noblest of intent it still doesn't make it fair on the other competitors.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Just stupid really. An example of the tyranny of the minority and the subversion of logic and reason.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

GG. wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:07 pm An example of the tyranny of the minority.
:roll:
I'm sure minorities are thrilled at having such power.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm sure it is a pretty useful power to be able to rely on whipping up confected outrage amongst a vocal number of supporters to rebut any suggestion that you are doing something unethical.

That's almost the definition of political power and lack of accountability isn't it? If you disagree with any suggestion that you can wield a certain form power by virtue of being in a minority group I think you're turning a blind eye to the evidence of the past several decades.