Supercar seat covers

Would you use towels or seat covers?

Poll ended at Fri May 21, 2021 8:52 am

Of course Tarquin - protecting your investment is just sound logic.
No votes
Fuck off. My car. My arse. My seat. HarryM wouldn’t do that shit.
55%
I would cover the originals to protect them, but by crikey I’d do it properly (with custom Ostrich-scrotum hide in purple (or similar)).
15%
These days I’d far rather sit on a nice comfy bench with a blanket, looking at the sea.
10%
Sorry, I wasn’t listening. Who is this Al Cuntarra Guy?
20%

Total votes: 20

mik

Supercar seat covers

Post by mik »

Enjoyed this vid from Henry (already posted elsewhere)

I did however start wincing around 8m50s when @Maurice ’s pal James from (the incredible) DK Engineering explained the 1-off interior and the lengths owners have gone to protect it.

I can’t really fathom that you would spend £600k on a hyper car and then not enjoy the materials... save them for future owners to enjoy. Let alone subsequent owners who would have paid significantly more than that. :?

Edit: hard to tell but it looks like Henry might just be sitting on the seat - unprotected - in his jeans. :lol:
Zonda_

Re: Supercar seat covers

Post by Zonda_ »

The DK Engineering bloke seemed to be saying it was the second owner who put towels on the seats, just get them retrimmed or ask McLaren to make you a spare set of you're that bothered about originality!
Marv

Post by Marv »

Please don't eat that flake in my alcantara interior.
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Only two owners
- first insisted people sit on towels. Colour/pattern unknown.
- second had some sheets made up to cover the seats. Colour and/or pattern also unknown.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s a bit of a cultural thing isn’t it? Far East, Middle East, maybe South Africa too. If you don’t have towels you’re a weirdo :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It was pretty silly, Alcantara looks better when it's worn in a bit.

I laughed when the guy said about brushing it with your hand when you get out because it looks better :lol:.

Pretty disappointed with that first video tbh, fair play to them for managing to get the keys to what must be about £30mil worth of cars but ten minutes waffle about originality and a parking speed drive around millbrook didn't make for great viewing.
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 am It was pretty silly, Alcantara looks better when it's worn in a bit.

I laughed when the guy said about brushing it with your hand when you get out because it looks better :lol:.

Pretty disappointed with that first video tbh, fair play to them for managing to get the keys to what must be about £30mil worth of cars but ten minutes waffle about originality and a parking speed drive around millbrook didn't make for great viewing.
Well he couldn't exactly thrash it in the wet and I bet it took some doing to get them all there on the same day, can't exactly wait for better weather.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I guess it comes down to why you buy a superdupercar. If it's the joy of driving, fuck the towels. If it's an investment and you trailer it to concours d'elegance events so you don't put miles on it, fuck the towels as no-one is allowed inside.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:24 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 am It was pretty silly, Alcantara looks better when it's worn in a bit.

Well he couldn't exactly thrash it in the wet and I bet it took some doing to get them all there on the same day, can't exactly wait for better weather.
Yeah, I know. Like I say, I admire the effort it must've took. It's just a shame the result is a bit blah.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I bet it took some doing to get them all there on the same day, can't exactly wait for better weather.
I wasn’t massively aware of DK Eng until recently (via @Maurice ) but with the type of cars they handle it is entirely possible that they have all of these up for sale at the same time - all in @Sundayjumper friendly hues. :shock: They have sold more F40’s than anyone else for example - not more than anyone else in the UK, more than anyone globally.

Great opportunity for Henry and us viewers, but also an awesome sales platform for DKEng.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... eets/41517
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:06 pm
I bet it took some doing to get them all there on the same day, can't exactly wait for better weather.
I wasn’t massively aware of DK Eng until recently (via @Maurice ) but with the type of cars they handle it is entirely possible that they have all of these up for sale at the same time - all in @Sundayjumper friendly hues. :shock: They have sold more F40’s than anyone else for example - not more than anyone else in the UK, more than anyone globally.

Great opportunity for Henry and us viewers, but also an awesome sales platform for DKEng.

The Merc is on their website as being Sold
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Aside from being a family of enthusiasts, DK are successful due to almost accidental storage sideline. They have loads of exotica kicking about that they don't have to buy, and is not 'for sale', but nearly always is for the right price. If the current owner really cared for it then it would be at one of their own properties rather than a DK barn.
JD classics did the same until they took the piss with one particular customer.

When I was doing it full time, I sold a 365GTC twice over four months without it ever leaving the showroom. The first buyer made £50k in four weeks without ever taking delivery, and my boss made £50k without having to buy the car back in!
I could have done the same with a RHD Cobra, but the first buyer really wanted it and even £100k profit couldn't tempt him to let it go.
We had multiple cars in storage that buyers never took delivery of, then traded a year later for something different that they also never took delivery of!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Back to the seats -

I'd often see F40s come in with seat covers on, as their red fabric fades for fun as soon as it sees daylight, and for 'originality' you have to send it back to a random trimmer in Italy at ludricous expense that you could get done locally for a less than a grand.

Alcantara is crap for wear and stubborn stains, and I don't understand why you'd choose it for all surfaces in a car that you have to clamber into, but as others have said, take it off and store it if you're bothered.
It's not as if Gordon Murray used unicorn hide. I'm sure a decent automotive trimmer could find a match, and no one would ever know that it's been retrimmed. It might have already had work done, but DK don't have it documented and the owners have told them it's original.
mik

Post by mik »

@Jimexpl interesting insights!

Feel free to share more about JD Classics...
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

mik wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 pm @Jimexpl interesting insights!

I hadn’t had any dealings with JD since 2013, when I did a very fair deal on a couple of cars to a well known Radio DJ who promptly put one on SOR with JD and my original prospect on the car ended up paying £30k more than I’d offered it to him for.
Their downfall was a few years later and is well documented on Boatshoes in the classic car section, which was a pity as they had a similarly successful business model to DK, but greed got the better of them.
mik

Post by mik »

Jimexpl wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Their downfall was a few years later and is well documented on Boatshoes in the classic car section,
Any links? Not the easiest place to search usually.... (and I am a LC)
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

mik wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:59 pm
Jimexpl wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Their downfall was a few years later and is well documented on Boatshoes in the classic car section,
Any links? Not the easiest place to search usually.... (and I am a LC)
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/to ... &t=1731962
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Kinda want that tour even more now.