No F1 thread?

Alex_

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Alex_ »

TBF, he's got nothing else to prove. Not many can say they're a four-time world champion. And he's loaded.
M235i
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Alex_ wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:37 pm TBF, he's got nothing else to prove. Not many can say they're a four-time world champion. And he's loaded.
nothing except for those who’ll say it was only because he had the best car. That’s a pretty powerful thing in these drivers minds.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 pm
Alex_ wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:37 pm TBF, he's got nothing else to prove. Not many can say they're a four-time world champion. And he's loaded.
nothing except for those who’ll say it was only because he had the best car. That’s a pretty powerful thing in these drivers minds.
You’re right. I read Webber’s book, which was quoted and signed off by Newey, Vettel was running an A spec car whilst Mark was running a B spec. It was definitely a deciding factor during that period because it even impacted reliability. SV is still fast though, that can’t be taken away from him, but you’re bang on about him wanting undeniable proof like Lewis has.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 pm
There’s a subset of people that say that about every single world champion. One could win in a Ford Cortina and someone would bang on about them not being that great.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think that there's more of it with SV. He's got more WDCs than Senna but you'd never hear of him being described as anywhere near as good.

Edit - Rightly so I might add, he rarely bested the top drivers of his day when the cars were evenly matched.
Marv

Post by Marv »

I think Vettel's main faults were that he never fully adapted his driving to having less down-force at the rear, once floor blown diffusers were banned and his scrappy racecraft when wheel-to-wheel.

He did win them four championships on merit, and I think if there was any other driver in the championship winning years at RBR at the same time as him, I don't think they would have walked all over him either. His driving style very much suited the cars of that generation. Perhaps a bit of a one trick pony. IMO Hamilton and Alonso are just better drivers, because they can and have adapted their driving styles and constantly improved their race craft.
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

All fair points squire.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I can only think of 2 drivers in the modern-ish era that have won championships across vastly different periods and hence major rule changes and that would be Schumacher and Hamilton.
The rest all had their forte with a particular era.
Alonso did well too, 2005-2006 went from no pit stop v10s to reintroduction of pit stops and v8s although the Michelin tyre advantage in 05 was massive.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:50 pm Michelin tyre
And we get shafted with crappy Pirellis. I want Michelin back but I can't see a change in supplier for a long, long time.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:50 pm Michelin tyre
And we get shafted with crappy Pirellis. I want Michelin back but I can't see a change in supplier for a long, long time.
I don’t doubt that Pirelli can make a good tyre, it’s just that they have to comply with what F1 management request which has been high degradation tyres since Pirelli became supplier. Even Mario Isola has been pretty critical of it.
Supposedly Liberty want low degradation tyres for 2021 on the 18 inch rims. 2020 was meant to be a half way house in terms of more durable rubber but I remember them being described as pretty shit in the final 2019 test as it was a late call to change the compound :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:50 pm I can only think of 2 drivers in the modern-ish era that have won championships across vastly different periods and hence major rule changes and that would be Schumacher and Hamilton.
The rest all had their forte with a particular era.
Alonso did well too, 2005-2006 went from no pit stop v10s to reintroduction of pit stops and v8s although the Michelin tyre advantage in 05 was massive.
No pit stops? I can't remember any season without pit stops.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Getting my seasons mixed up, should have said no tyre changes.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Alonso rumoured to be joining Renault.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:03 pm Just been on absolute 80’s news “it’s thought Fernando Alonso will take Ricciardo’s place at Renault”

Would tally with his career of shit decisions
rumours travel quicker down here!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 pm Alonso rumoured to be joining Renault.
That’s SV well out if it comes off. As I predicted, no one wants to risk him as he doesn’t do well in wheel to wheel racing which is what most of the mid field is.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:07 pm
That’s SV well out if it comes off. As I predicted, no one wants to risk him as he doesn’t do well in wheel to wheel racing which is what most of the mid field is.
Wowsers, Captain obvious, you really called that one well, no one else could have predicted that! 😘
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:07 pm
Wowsers, Captain obvious, you really called that one well, no one else could have predicted that! 😘
No one in the media has cited that as reason* - yet - and I’m sticking to it :lol:

*probably because there’s still a theoretical chance they’ll have to say it to his face if he gets a seat.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://www.planetf1.com/news/charles-l ... ocked-out/

Charles leclerc locked his apartment, busy rallying on his twitch stream so didn’t hear door or phone. She had to pay to subscribe to his twitch to ask him to open the door 😂
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Can't see it, but it would be great to see LH hand him his arse. :D