No F1 thread?

integrale_evo

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by integrale_evo »

Quite a good race to be honest, but jeez the circuit is hard on the eyes.

Surprised merc didn’t pit Lewis after max came in and leave bottas out to hold him up so Lewis could stay close without using too much tyre and be in a better position to fight at the end.
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It was great mid-race with Ver, Ham and Bot all running so close and quick together. Bit Merc massively ballsed up the strategy - not letting Bottas through to push Verstappen mid-race when he looked more fighty than Lewis, and then later not splitting strategy.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Mercedes have been a shambles this year. If the drivers don’t bin it the pit crew do and if both those are fine the strategists will bin it 😂
At least they’re still reliable so I fully expect an engine failure next race.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

About as good a race as you're going to get on that circuit. Difficult one really, with you're almost better being in second place in some of these situations. Not a lot Merc could do about the undercut after the first stop, and how early do you go on the second stop? Unless it's a lap earlier than RB you're still going to end up in second. RB reaped the rewards of being a bit bolder, but I wouldn't say it was a total fuck up by Merc. At the end of the day LH started second and finished second within a few seconds of first place.

For sure they need to improve, but the cars are so evenly matched that it's such fine margins, every decision counts.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

It could be one of the great seasons, but you can't help feeling that the current aero is denying us a lot of what would have been wheel to wheel action between two top racers.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Boring
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep that was the worst Austrian GP that I can remember.
mik

Post by mik »

ITV3 guys.

Porsche Cup just coming on.

Some great stuff (despite using the shitey Indy circuit instead of the excellent full GP circuit).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s pissing it down 15 mins away from Brands but nothing there either.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The way everyone is talking (and it could be gamesmanship), Merc have written off this season to focus on the 2022 car. So looks like the gap to Max might just widen, robbing us of a proper battle. :-(
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:18 am The way everyone is talking (and it could be gamesmanship), Merc have written off this season to focus on the 2022 car. So looks like the gap to Max might just widen, robbing us of a proper battle. :-(
Toto confirmed this in an interview with sky
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

They're only about 15 points behind aren't they?! Not really "writing off" performance!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:56 am They're only about 15 points behind aren't they?! Not really "writing off" performance!
... but they brought updates that appear to have widened the gap, and Merc apparently don't plan to bring much in the way of upgrades.

The hope was that Merc would be faster on certain circuits and RB on others, but at the moment it appears that the RB is quicker everywhere. Should still be some close racing here and there.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Bloody shame for GR, would have liked to see him get a point, especially in a race where he was there on merit and not a random "everyone else spun out" type scenario.
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:11 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:56 am They're only about 15 points behind aren't they?! Not really "writing off" performance!
... but they brought updates that appear to have widened the gap, and Merc apparently don't plan to bring much in the way of upgrades.

The hope was that Merc would be faster on certain circuits and RB on others, but at the moment it appears that the RB is quicker everywhere. Should still be some close racing here and there.
Yes I think we're heading for an inflexion point where it will be obvious that LH and Merc can't win it this season. I mean to lose 2 tenths on the straight on every lap is a hug deficit to have to overhaul in the corners.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:48 am Bloody shame for GR, would have liked to see him get a point, especially in a race where he was there on merit and not a random "everyone else spun out" type scenario.
Agreed.

I had a lovely nap and caught the highlights on youtube so quite enjoyed the race.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Feel sorry for Danny Ric, makes up four places on the first lap. Power unit throwing a wobble costs him all of those in a blink. Hopefully a better qually for him next race.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

GG. wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:41 am
duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:11 am

Yes I think we're heading for an inflexion point where it will be obvious that LH and Merc can't win it this season. I mean to lose 2 tenths on the straight on every lap is a hug deficit to have to overhaul in the corners.
Not having enough hugs is very sad - I totally agree
GG.

Post by GG. »

More oxytocin needed - maybe they should given Lewis and Bottas some before the race :D
mik

Post by mik »

I didn’t even bother watching the c4 highlights.

Porsche Cup races at yesterday’s BTCC were great, as were the Ginettas. And the headline races were pretty tight too. 😎