Re: No F1 thread?

Post by DeskJockey »

That was a rather disappointing "race".
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m surprised the fans still seem content, that was worse than the US GP.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

When was this 😂
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

After first red flag, love this for the reality. French journo was before him, bad baguette.

Bit disappointed with today as it felt like they were making it up as they went. It's OK having a rulebook but for these once in a hundred races type events, then they need to leave space to pivot (race tomorrow, and embrace the fallout). LN will be regretting qually even more now!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Kimi is retiring at the end of the season!
---
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 pm Kimi is retiring at the end of the season!
as much as I like him, he's had his time in F1. this is a good thing - as it's another seat for a rookie.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’d seen somewhere that the George to Mercedes move is all signed, with valterri going to fill Kimi’s place, all that was waiting was for Kimi to announce retirement. Guess we’ll see how true that was now.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:06 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 pm Kimi is retiring at the end of the season!
as much as I like him, he's had his time in F1. this is a good thing - as it's another seat for a rookie.
Agreed. He's failed to make much headway with Alfa, so now's a good time.
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

jamcg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:47 pm I’d seen somewhere that the George to Mercedes move is all signed, with valterri going to fill Kimi’s place, all that was waiting was for Kimi to announce retirement. Guess we’ll see how true that was now.
Ooof what a kick in the balls for Bottas, fully expected but that's his competitive career over. I guess that Williams will just pick another pay driver.

Kimi is well past it but I'll miss him, along with Alonso they're the only current drivers on the field which drove the V10s in period and drove them well. Back when every team had a third car and many races started with explosive first lap crashes. Back when a soaking wet track was just another challenge. I guess once Alonso packs too then that'll be a big part of my childhood connection with the sport gone. Bwoah.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Meh, Alonso can do one.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I am with you, he has had his time. My childhood drivers are retired or commentating now, just wish DC and Webber would swap out with Herbert and Hill!
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:05 pm Ooof what a kick in the balls for Bottas, fully expected but that's his competitive career over. I guess that Williams will just pick another pay driver.
Williams don't need a pay driver any more since the buyout. Rumour has it Nyck De Vries is going there, although from a marketing standpoint, Guanyu Zhou would be good for F1 in the Chinese market.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Pete_ wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:06 am
I loved this, it’s literally the exact analysis of a laps I’ve been waiting for since first seeing polygon racing games with ghost cars in the 90s, I really hope they do more of it.

Miles better than the split screen and pause it when cars pass the occasional white line on track method they’ve been using for years.
Cheers, Harry
Delphi

Post by Delphi »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:27 am
I loved this, it’s literally the exact analysis of a laps I’ve been waiting for since first seeing polygon racing games with ghost cars in the 90s, I really hope they do more of it.

Miles better than the split screen and pause it when cars pass the occasional white line on track method they’ve been using for years.
That was superb! Excellent analysis and the sort of thing Sky Sports should be doing.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It really is brilliant, I wonder how quick they can get the data and get it rendered, would be great for post qualifying / race analysis.
Cheers, Harry
Delphi

Post by Delphi »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:26 am It really is brilliant, I wonder how quick they can get the data and get it rendered, would be great for post qualifying / race analysis.
Shouldn't be too difficult. The data is available (GPS plots etc) so it should be simple enough to import those into the software.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Delphi wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:23 am
integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:27 am

That was superb! Excellent analysis and the sort of thing Sky Sports should be doing.
It is possibly too deep an analysis for mainstream viewing though. We did have ghost car before, Whether that was back in the ITV or BBC days I couldn't say. They also had it for WRC.

It was a decent analysis but not much better than a side by side as you can still see when there is a pronounced gap between cars.

The presenter also early in the lap says "downforce laden RB" using it as a reason for Max's middle sector, then says the lighter n downforce RB later on which seems to contradict?

It does show what a bloody good lap GR did though, will be very interesting to see just how good he can be if and when he gets in a Merc. I sincerely hope if he gets the seat, the 2022 Merc is still decent. Not the gap from the hybrid era but up there as it will be interesting to see if he pushes LH to do better or how close he can get, assuming they can fit him in the car.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I think they meant that the red bull has more natural downforce so it can run slimmer wings, while the Williams has to run more wing and so makes more drag for less overall downforce.

That’s how I interpreted it anyway, but did think it was a bit clumsy.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

I really don't care about F1 any more but that telemetry 'playback' is genuinely extremely impressive, including the little details they've added in (camera shake, etc) which makes it look far more realistic than it needs to.