Glasgow is a ***ing long way (The Jag XJ8 thread)

tim

Re: Glasgow is a ***ing long way (The Jag XJ8 thread)

Post by tim »

So far I've given a good damn good clean out, re-fitted two of the door cards that somebody had removed by way of ripping them off the fixings (ffs!) and put them back using the ones which they hadn't broken. £15 bought me a complete set of fixings for all 4 doors and 20 mins of effort to do it properly. Why are people so shit??

It was occaisonally throwing an ESC/ABS unavailable error, which was fixed by removing and cleaning both rear wheel speed sensors, which were absolutely covered in crud.

Oil filter and coolant turned up today for a fluids swap tomorrow, although it also needs a new thermostat so will probably wait until that's here before flushing and replacing the coolant.

Apart from that I've just been enjoying wafting around in it. For such a big old thing it corners surprisingly flat and composed.

So far, £1500 well spent. :D
mik

Post by mik »

Looks great 8-) waftomatic.

Although turning the wheel whilst not move it at 42secs lost you 84 awesumepoints :(
tim

Post by tim »

meh, it's on gravel. My teh awesumepoints are off the scale anyway due to extreme Jaaaagness.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

tim wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 pm

So far I've given a good damn good clean out, re-fitted two of the door cards that somebody had removed by way of ripping them off the fixings (ffs!) and put them back using the ones which they hadn't broken. £15 bought me a complete set of fixings for all 4 doors and 20 mins of effort to do it properly. Why are people so shit??

It was occaisonally throwing an ESC/ABS unavailable error, which was fixed by removing and cleaning both rear wheel speed sensors, which were absolutely covered in crud.

Oil filter and coolant turned up today for a fluids swap tomorrow, although it also needs a new thermostat so will probably wait until that's here before flushing and replacing the coolant.

Apart from that I've just been enjoying wafting around in it. For such a big old thing it corners surprisingly flat and composed.

So far, £1500 well spent. :D
They're lovely things to drive. I loved our 4.0l X308. It's just a shame the gearbox shat its biscuits ☹️ Anyway, an excuse for a photo 😂
ImageImage
tim

Post by tim »

It's either that or rust that kills them. Mine is pretty good on the rust front. £2k for a freshly built guaranteed for 12k miles box. Might almost be worth it if the rest of the car is right up to scratch.

I was supposed to be changing the oil today but Amazon have failed to deliver the oil for the 2nd day running, which is annoying. I got the coolant instead which was what I thought was in the box.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Looked very regal parked outside when I passed on Friday afternoon 8-)
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

tim wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:06 pm It's either that or rust that kills them. Mine is pretty good on the rust front. £2k for a freshly built guaranteed for 12k miles box. Might almost be worth it if the rest of the car is right up to scratch.

I was supposed to be changing the oil today but Amazon have failed to deliver the oil for the 2nd day running, which is annoying. I got the coolant instead which was what I thought was in the box.
Oh, two days late, yeah?

Flips card on Days Since Spring Ordered board to "24"
tim

Post by tim »

Spent a couple of hours claying it today - very satisfying! The bonnet roof and boot lid were by far the worst.

Thermostat has just arrived so will replace that in a bit.
tim

Post by tim »

Thermostat replaced - easy enough job, aside from getting the sodding hose clamp back on in the right place. But now I have heat, and the engine temp remains constant in the middle at all speeds, whereas before it was cooling off quite a bit at speed.

However this has uncovered the next issue, which appears to be non-functioning fans. :)
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Very nice, Tim! Not sure the clay can replace the knackered clearcoat but hey ho.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

No photos of the now clean Jag? :?
tim

Post by tim »

:)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Looks excellent Tim!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Seems to be a growing trend to want to run a modern classic on this forum. My favourite era of Jag this.
Does it have a nice V8 grumble when you floor it and let it kickdown too or is it a bit too refined for that? They always struck me as a barge that could kick up it's heels and have some sporting prowess if they were provoked.
Fixing the little foibles on these older cars is actually quite fun and therapeutic I find where anything modern is a ballache the sense of achievement you get from sorting something is half the pleasure of owning it.
tim

Post by tim »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:33 pm Seems to be a growing trend to want to run a modern classic on this forum. My favourite era of Jag this.
Does it have a nice V8 grumble when you floor it and let it kickdown too or is it a bit too refined for that? They always struck me as a barge that could kick up it's heels and have some sporting prowess if they were provoked.
Fixing the little foibles on these older cars is actually quite fun and therapeutic I find where anything modern is a ballache the sense of achievement you get from sorting something is half the pleasure of owning it.
It's quiet and refined the vast majority of the time, although when you rev it out a bit you can hear it's a V8. I could dick about with the exhaust and make it louder, but I like it how it is.

Totally agree with all of that - have easily had £1500 of pleasure just tinkering with it so far :)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Real-life Females
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

X350 Nath?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Engine seems a bit small for such a large car.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:44 amX350 Nath?
Felt wrong when I typed that out 😩
Real-life Females
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Car's looking great, Tim. Love these 8-)